Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 42 Hertford 36 - Season Archive 2010/11

By Nick Bradley

Barnes ran out winners in a superb battle of the top two in National League Three in front of a huge crowd at Barn Elms.

Monday 28th March 2011 in Other Rugby News

It was Hertford, league leaders going into the game, who started the stronger and took an early lead thanks to Stuart Smart’s penalty.

Rather against the run of play, Barnes took the lead as Luke Sayer raced down the right side to score the first try of the afternoon, which Warren Gower converted.

Hertford replied soon afterwards courtesy of another successful kick from Smart.

The home side then produce a classy period of attacking rugby par excellence which effectively decided the game. Gareth Williams-Davies scored following a sparkling move down the left. Gower added the extras.

The lead was then extended to 21-6 as Simon Givens went over with Gower kicking the conversion once more.

Hertford grabbed a much needed foothold in the game on the half hour mark when Barnes were reduced to 14 after Dave Butler’s sin-binning. Smart kicked a penalty for the visitors to reduce the arrears slightly. Yet, it was Barnes who had the final say when they scored a bonus point winning try just before the break courtesy of Damian Hoo, who had another highly influential afternoon.

The joy of Barnes’ 29-9 half-time lead was tempered by a serious injury to Joel Burgess.

The second half began with Barnes still in the ascendency and Luke Sayer grabbed his 29th try of the season amid signs of delirium. Gower’s conversion took Barnes out to 36-9, and seemingly settled the result.

To their eternal credit, Hertford rallied in style and controlled the last quarter, putting Barnes under fierce pressure which resulted in four tries for the visitors. Gower added two further penalties for the Green & Golds which was eventually enough to seal a dramatic victory in a truly outstanding afternoon of attacking rugby.

Barnes’ victory sees them clear at the top of the table with two matches to go.

Richmond & Twickenham Times

Where next?

Barnes officials banned - points could be lost - Season Archive 2004/5 Barnes RFC coach Michael White and chairman Neil Hay have been suspended by the Rugby Football Union for bringing the game into disrepute and the club have been deducted points, suspended until the end of the season. A Rugby Union spokesman said: "The points deduction will only apply if another offence is committed."


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors