Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Mayfair Occasionals (4th XV) - Match centre

London Media 2nd XV
Mayfair Occasionals
Sat 18 Feb 13:30 - Surrey RFU Reserve League - Combination 1 North Full time

The ‘Occies’ bounce back from the previous week’s first league defeat by Old Blues 7 - 20 (who they beat 38 - 7 in the autumn)


A match well orchestrated by fly-half Davies in which the Occies' backs had a great run out, having been supplied by lots of good ball by their forwards

The score line is rather hard on London Media; this game was vigorously contested but the Occies were better at finishing their opportunities. Played in the almost rural surroundings of lively Battersea Park on perfect early spring afternoon, the match was excellently conducted by female Referee Jean Bergesen.

From receiving the kick-off the Occies kicked long into the opposition 22. London Media worked their way back with neither side retaining for long. A free-kick awarded against them in their scrum just inside the visitors’ 22 allowed the Occies to clear to touch 9 metres into their opponents’ half. This line-out resulted in a scrum for Mayfair; from it they went wide, advancing to the 22 before being forced back several metres to an opposition put-in after 4 phases. From the scrum Media recycled 4 times before they were penalised 11 metres inside their half. The Occies ran the penalty then were turned over at the 22. Media ran the ball well before 4 kicks preceded their line-out 15 metres inside their half. They were forced backwards from that and kicked for territory. The visitors then ran the ball wide and broke through with centre Hasseur touching down 1/2 way out at 14 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The high restart went to Mayfair wing Idundun who set off on an elusive run from his 22 all the way to the posts; fly-half Davies added.

The Occies went wide from the next restart and the opposition forced an error to get a scrum 17 metres into the visitors’ half. From it Media broke blind and recycled twice to get a penalty 18 metres from the opposition half. They kicked for a line-out 10 metres out then their pack drove for the line. Mayfair then defended well while Media recycled twice, ran a penalty, had two 5 metre scrums then ran another penalty, The attack ended with an interception by Idundun. After some changes of possession the Occies got into and stayed in the opposition half for the next 20 minutes or so. During that time no team monopolised possession. Then just before halftime the visitors' put together a good passing movement that ended with their scrum 10 metres out from which centre Adamson ran to the posts. Davies added for 0 - 19.

Mayfair continued in their opponents' half after the second half restart then from a scrum 18 metres from their line they broke out with their best continuity thus far. They got a penalty 5 metres into the other half and kicked well to touch 5 metres out. Their drive was held but soon resulted in another penalty 5 metres out; this was run and the ball handed to the biggest man on the pitch Sunnick who rumbled over near the posts at 6 minutes.

Media cleared the restart to touch only 15 metres from their line; the Occies kept the ball close from the line-out to get a penalty 9 metres out and ran the ball. Two more penalties were also run then 4 recycles sent wing Pini over half way out at 12 minutes and Davies added.

Media got the next attack going after the restart and some kicks were exchanged. The Occies stopped that at their 22 then started to break out; from a scrum 13 metres inside their half Keeling made yards with a strong run then the ball was recycled to centre Haigh who crossed at the end of the 3rd quarter. Davies added.

Mayfair were soon back attacking in the other half and got to the 22; Media broke out after a turnover to an opposition put-in 4 metres past halfway. From the scrum the Occies broke through strongly before passing forward. After kicks Media had another scrum 17 metres from their line then were turned over after it and Pini was sent to the line at 25 minutes. The conversion missed.

Media stayed in the opposition half after the restart with better possession. Then Mayfair, from their scrum just outside their 22, Hasseur broke through at centre for the last try at 34 minutes. An excellent conversion from Davies followed. The last attack belonged to London Media who ran a penalty 27 metres from the visitors' line before the defence forced an error before the whistle.

Mild, bright, cloud at the start clearing to blue sky through the game; no wind and the pitch firm though rough.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – February: Henley Hawks RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Combination 1 North results

Battersea Ironsides 4th XV
Economicals 2nd XV
Old Rutlishians 2nd XV


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Mayfair Occasionals 13 44
2. Old Blues 2nd XV 9 30
3. London Media 2nd XV 8 24
4. Economicals 2nd XV 7 21
5. Old Rutlishians 2nd XV 7 17
6. Old Paulines 2nd XV 6 16
7. Old Emanuel 3rd XV 6 16

Team sponsors


Club sponsors