Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 2nd XV - Match centre

Westcombe Park
T Stanton
T Hupfield
T Hupfield (2)
Sat 7 Sep 14:00 - The Zoo Sports Shield - Division 2 South Full time

Good 2nd 1/2 with the wind, but too many penalties conceded

Barnes' pack get the only try of the match.

Only the 1st 1/2 reported on. The visitors had the fairly strong blustery wind in the first half, otherwise the conditions were bright and dry. There were uncontested scrums from the start.

Westcombe Park secured the restart; an error from each team resulted in a scrum to the visitors and releasing to centre from this enabled them to get up to halfway where the opposition were penalised. The kick didn't find touch. Barnes cleared to touch against the wind to outside of their 22 then stole the line-out. Their pack then set up a drive that took them to the other half and their first penalty. This was kicked for a line-out that was then thrown not-straight. Park kick for territory from their scrum; wing Wilde ran the ball back and at the next breakdown Barnes got the put-in. They ran the ball wide before being turned over. Westcombe kicked for territory and the defence cleared to touch. From the line-out the visitors' released wide without advancing then the defence was soon penalised. Park ran this but the defence forced an error to get the put-in, 14 metres into their half. From this centre Lewis broke through the line, running some 40 metres. Parks' defence got the next put-in at the breakdown outside of their 22. From this scrum the visitors released wide and recycled 3 times to open up the defence and race away. A Barnes' defender just got back to prevent a try and force the attacker into touch 5 metres out. The home team's forwards were penalised for offside setting up a drive and Park opted for a set scrum. From that they tried wide ball before being turned over; Barnes launched an up-and-under and Park kicked back into the 22. This resulted in a penalty for the defence 4 metres out. Barnes kicked for another line-out and threw it not-straight. Soon after the scrum Barnes were penalised and Park's no. 10 O'Hehir tried for the 3 points; it was close but missed. Fielding the 22 drop-out the visitors again threw the ball lout effectively and won another penalty, now 6 metres into the opposition half. This time O'Hehir was successful, just after the quarter hour.

Barnes got the put-in soon after the restart and from this put together a very good set of varied phases ended by the defence 5 metres out. Westcombe got the ball away with a kick for territory; wing Wilde had another run and got the pass away then Park forced a turnover. Barnes soon had possession back from an error and they kicked for territory. A Westcombe man had a good run, evading tacklers, before possession was lost then the visitors got the next scrum and a penalty at that. They kicked for a line-out not far into the other half and from that put together a good sequence of phases before being penalised for crossing. Barnes kicked against the wind to touch still in their own half. They recovered from a poor tapped ball and recycled a few times before dropping; advantage was played and Park advanced to get a penalty at the 22. This was kicked for the points before the half-hour.

The visitors secured the restart and soon kicked to touch just into the other half. From that Barnes advanced to their put-in at their opponents' 10 metre line. From the scrum Lewis made some yards then a switch of direction created some space and the ball was kicked to touch just outside Westcombe's 22. They got loose ball at the opposition line-out then the put-in. After some over-elaborate action they almost lost possession but did get a penalty 14 metres inside the opposition half in centre field and fly-half Hupfield kicked the points at 35 minutes. Barnes didn't deal with the restart but recovered just inside their 22 and got the next scrum put-in. They recycled twice before being penalised for not releasing. Park's no.10 kicked the points 2 minutes after Barnes' kick. The visitors secured the restart and threw the ball about before being turned over then the whistle went.

Barnes had the wind in the second half and started strongly. From a line-out their pack drove over with flanker Stanton on the ball after 5 minutes. Hupfield converted. The lead changed hands 3 more times with O'Hehir adding 2 more penalties and Hupfield one more. There was no score in the last quarter but Hupfield did go close with another penalty kick.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Key moments

Penalty Tom Hupfield kicks a penalty for Barnes
Try Thomas Stanton scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom Hupfield kicks a conversion for Barnes
Penalty Tom Hupfield kicks a penalty for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Westcombe Park
  • 0
  • Tom Hupfield Penalty 36:00'
  • Thomas Stanton Try 45:00'
  • Tom Hupfield Conversion 46:00'
  • Tom Hupfield Penalty 65:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other Division 2 South results

Guildford A
East Grinstead
Hammersmith & Fulham
Richmond Saxons
London Scottish Highlanders


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 18 76
2. London Irish Wanderers 17 67
3. Richmond Saxons 16 61
4. Westcombe Park 18 53
5. Dorking 16 49
6. Redingensians 16 46
7. London Scottish Highlanders 18 44

Team sponsors


Club sponsors