Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 2nd XV - Match centre

Barnes Rugby Football Club
Oxford University
Sat 14 Oct 14:30 - Friendly Full time

Bit of a mismatch this time, unlike the previous week

The Greyhounds unable to bring their strongest team

Rather different from the reverse fixture at Oxford a week previously. Barnes fielded a stronger team and the Greyhounds a weaker one. Barnes scored 5 tries in the first half; 3 from their back row. The Greyhounds only scored one try, that from a chip through and the way the ball bounced, eluding a defender. In the 2nd 1/2 there were 3 tries, all from there backs, one at the start, one early in the final quarter and one at the end. Barnes had brought on several replacements to give them a run out and this disrupted their game. Much of this half was even but Barnes’ defence was better.

The kick-off by the home team didn't go 10 metres. The Greyhounds were under pressure at the scrum and an error at the base gave Barnes one at which they were penalised. The visitors kicked for a line-out 13 metres into the opposition half. That resulted in another scrum for them there, which had to be reset then started again after a wheel. Soon after it they were turned over and Barnes went wide with fullback Ruddock sending wing Bevan away along the touchline to the line after 5 minutes. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Barnes cleared the restart to touch 17 metres from halfway and stole the line-out. With 6 mostly close phases they advanced to their opponents' 10 metre line to get a penalty. They ran this to get another at the 22 and kicked for a line-out 8 metres out. From that after crabbing the pack got going and over the line wide out with R. Malaney on the ball at 9 minutes. Fly-half Williams-Davies converted.

Barnes soon replied to the restart with a nearly vertical up-and-under from which the opposition got the ball. They went wide and kicked to the line; an Oxford wing got the ball when it evaded a defender and the former scored after 11 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The Greyhounds ran the ball from the restart recycling twice then Barnes forced an error to get a scrum put-in 16 metres out. From that after 6 mostly close phases T. Malaney got over at 15 minutes. The fly-half added.

Barnes secured the restart then this was followed by a line-out for the visitors 29 metres from their opponents' line. From this the former advanced with a couple of phases to get a penalty 15 metres out. They chose to have a scrum, from which they got the ball away under pressure and put together 9 good phases, but were forced back a long way, before being turned over. Almost immediately they got possession back for a scrum after an error 11 metres into the home team's half. Again they got the ball away and good retention and recycling got them to 6 metres out after another 7 phases with wider ball involving both wings. After 2 more recycles loose ball was then hacked on by Barnes to their 10 metre line. The Greyhounds got the ball there and kept it for mixed 6 phases before putting the ball through some hands. A dropped ball was snapped up by opposition scrumhalf Foster who ran to the posts at 24 minutes. Williams-Davies added.

The restart didn't go 10 metres; from the scrum Foster kicked to touch 10 metres from the visitors' line. From the line-out soon launched an up-and-under that the opposition got, but much further back. After 4 phases Barnes kicked ahead; Oxford ran until forced into touch near halfway. From the line-out Barnes went wide before chipping through the line. The visitors soon passed forward giving their opponents a scrum at the former's 10 metre line. After that and a 3 phases a kick by the fly-half for a wing to get was not taken and the Ref. went back for a penalty 18 metres into the half. This was kicked for a line-out 8 metres out. The drive for the line broke up then got over but was judged held-up. The five metre scrum advanced to the line then the ball was recycled for R. Malaney to touch down at 34 minutes. The conversion was wide.

Barnes regained a vertical up-and-under after the restart; after going wide then recycling 3 times they chipped ahead and hacked the ball on to the line for a 22 drop-out. They ran that back with 3 phases to get a penalty 25 metres from the opposition line. This was kicked for a line-out 9 metres out that was thrown not-straight. The Greyhounds got the ball away from their under-pressure scrum and cleared to touch for the halftime whistle.

Barnes secured the second half kick-off; after another kick each, Barnes kept the ball for 5 phases before getting the ball to Wing Idundun. He stepped and slipped out of a tackle then ran to the corner within 2 minutes of the game's restart. The conversion was wide.

From the restart the home team started running and broke out of their half strongly after one recycle and one pass. Next they were intercepted and Oxford had the ball for 3 phases before being turned over. After 2 more phases Barnes were forced into touch near the visitors' line. The Greyhounds went wide from the line-out and made ground before trying an up-and-under. This was followed by a penalty against Barnes just inside the 22. The kick left them still 14 metres from halfway then from their line-out they kept the ball for 5 mixed phases to get another penalty, having been forced back to 28 metres out. The kick took them to 7 metres from the halfway line; from this line-out their scrumhalf made a very good break and after 3 more wider phases had advanced to get a third penalty 27 metres from Barnes' line then another 10 metres for chat. They chose a scrum and advanced from that recycling close 5 times to get another penalty plus a man advantage for 10 minutes. They ran they penalty and got another when the opposition had not retreated. They ran again, this time wider but the ball was dropped after one recycle again wide. The home team cleared to touch 13 metres from halfway. An error at the line-out gave Barnes a scrum after which and a few metres advance the ball was kicked out on the full. Oxford dropped the ball soon after their line-out; this was 7 metres inside the opposition half. Barnes broke blind from the scrum but made little progress after 5 phases but did get a penalty and kicked to touch not far, just past halfway. After keeping the ball close they got another penalty 4 metres ahead and this time kicked well to 17 metres out. The line-out was thrown long and the defence got the ball; they broke away well to get a penalty 9 metres from halfway which they ran wide. Barnes forced an error to get a scrum 8 metres inside their half. Soon after that Oxford forced an error to get the ball back. After a couple of phases they were turned over and next penalised near halfway. The kick gained 16 metres then after the line-out and 3 recycles Barnes were penalised 26 metres out. The visitors' kick didn't find touch and the opposition ran the ball back with 6 good phases to get a penalty 17 metres out and a man advantage for 10 minutes. They chose a scrum and recycled twice close before going wide to send Idundun to the corner for his second try after 25 minutes. The conversion just missed.

The home team broke out immediately with the restart ball; after one recycle wide, an offload, a pass and another recycle the ball was dropped at the goal line. Oxford got a free-kick at their 5 metre scrum and ran the ball to get a penalty 13 metres out. Again they ran and they recycled 4 times before kicking to touch 9 metres into the other half. An error at the line-out gave the visitors a scrum there; they advanced from that with a couple of phases before the opposition got a loose ball at their 22 and cleared to touch 20 metres from halfway. The line-out was stolen but soon dropped; the Greyhounds recycled twice close before getting a put-in 13 metres into their opponents' half. From that they kept the ball for 6 mostly close phases without advancing before a Barnes' scrum 2 metres nearer halfway. They were penalised at that; Barnes kicked gaining 14 metres then their line-out was stolen. The visitors were forced into touch 8 metres back but stole the line-out again. They went wide and started a very good attack with 7 phases to get a penalty 18 metres out. They chose a scrum then from it broke through until the defence forced an error to get a scrum put-in 6 metres out. This was reset after a wheel and soon after it Oxford were penalised; Barnes ran the ball wide then were intercepted at their 22. After a couple of recycles Barnes regained possession and went wide, advancing to get a penalty near halfway. They ran that but soon lost possession again and were penalised when the Greyhounds went wide. The kick took the visitors to 7 metres into their opponents' half. From their line-out they attacked to the 22 with a couple of phases before two more quick losses of possession. Next after recycling close 4 times they tried a chip through that was charged down. Barnes had the ball for 3 phases before losing it again. Oxford went wide but not for long; a loose ball was fed to fullback Ruddock to run to the line. The fly-half converted before the final whistle.

Dry, overcast, some wind; the pitch good.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Crab Football

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors