Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Barnes Rugby Football Club


Barnes 2nd XV - Match centre

Barnes 2nd XV
T Malaney, D Sullivan (3), A Crimmens
J McIntyre (3)
J McIntyre
Sat 23 Feb 14:30 - League Full time

Important Win for the 2s

First hat trick for Sullivan since 29 September 202

The first minutes saw attacks and errors from both sides then a break from Barnes' fly-half Westworth got his team an easily kickable penalty put over by fullback McIntyre before 5 minutes were up. The home side got another penalty soon after the restart and sent the ball into touch just inside the opposition 22. Their pack set for a drive and got to the line then the Ref. went back to penalise Worthing 8 metres out. The ball was again put into touch now 5 metres out and from there the pack drove over with no. 8 Malaney on the ball just before 10 minutes. An excellent conversion from McIntyre followed. Barnes were back on the attack soon after the restart; Worthing forced a turnover and kicked. Barnes sent ball wide then kicked deep into the 22 but too far. They secured the drop-out then recovered after having a kick charged down. Attacking with good recycling won them another penalty that took them to their line-out 10 metres out. Worthing gathered a loose ball that bounced off a knee and they quickly got it wide for a run all the way down the other touchline by wing Roberts to score wide-out at 15 minutes. A very good conversion from Metters followed. Two kicks followed the restart then Barnes got a put-in in the opposition half. From the scrum they put together a very good sequence of phases to win a penalty. The kick was wide at the end of the first quarter.

Worthing forced a turnover after the 22 drop-out, launched an up-and-under that they regained then advanced to the other 22. After 4 more recycles Barnes were penalised further back and the visitors kicked for a line-out 12 metres out. From that they first opted for wide ball but the defence held to get a penalty at the 22. A kick from hand was charged down resulting in another attacking line-out 10 metres out. Barnes stole this then got the following put-in and sent ball wide. Worthing forced a turnover then regained their up-and-under before winning a penalty 17 metres out at 27 minutes and Metters evened the scores. Worthing kicked back the restart and this was dropped by Barnes. From a second scrum they got ball wide and kicked to the line. Barnes dealt with this then kicked the 22 drop-out long. Worthing came back and Metters broke through close to a ruck. Barnes forced a turnover then had a third kick charged down from which the visitors scored their second try just after the half hour and Metters added.

Worthing secured the restart and tried another up-and-under. Barnes dealt with this and varied their recycling with prop Burgess making yards then centre Hersey making a break before a pass was dropped 8 metres out. From the scrum Worthing kicked and McIntyre ran this back; the ball was kicked ahead after 4 recycles. Worthing cleared to touch almost to halfway. From the line-out Barnes released to centre then flanker Sullivan, Malaney and wing Bevan combined to disrupt the defence before ball was returned to Sullivan who touched down at 35 minutes. The conversion was wide. Malaney set off on a 30 metre run soon after the restart before Worthing came way with the ball at the breakdown. The visitors cleared to touch outside of their 22 then got tapped ball at the line-out. Three kicks followed then a Barnes' scrum before a Worthing turnover then the whistle went at the next breakdown.

It was getting colder as the second half started; Barnes cleared the restart to touch still in their own half. The ball was soon dropped giving Barnes a put-in at halfway. From the scrum they recycled 4 times before chipping ahead. A very good kick from Worthing went back to the opposition 22 and Barnes cleared to touch again. From their line-out Worthing now recycled 6 times before their fullback broke down the wing but was forced into touch 5 metres out. Scrumhalf Moss kicked from the line-out and Worthing were forced into touch 11 metres into Barnes' half. After recycling 4 times from the line-out, Barnes kicked out on the full giving Worthing a line-out 17 metres into the opposition half. After this Barnes got hold of loose ball then got the next put-in but went backwards from that to a scrum for the visitors. Right after that Barnes forced a turnover then got a penalty that was kicked for their line-out at their opponents' 10 metre line. They were soon back in their own half when a pass went to an opposition player. Worthing advanced to their scrum, released to centre then were penalised after recycling once. Barnes kicked for a line-out into the other half then threw that not-straight.

Worthing kicked from the scrum and Barnes cleared to touch near halfway. From their line-out the visitors advanced, recycling 4 times before kicking to touch, still outside the opposition 22. Worthing stole the line-out but were immediately turned over; Barnes launched an up-and-under then Worthing knocked on. They were penalised at the scrum and Barnes kicked from their own half to just outside their opponents' 22. Now they knocked-on in the line-out; advantage was played and Worthing tried an up-and-under after recycling once. Barnes dealt with this well and varied their recycling through several phases before kicking into the 22. The visitors returned this with interest then Barnes were penalised for not releasing. Metters' kick missed; this was near the end of the third quarter. Worthing ran back the 22 drop-out but soon lost the ball. Barnes Now put together a very good sequence of 11 phases, starting with two quick passes and ending with their scrum 17 metres inside Worthing's half. From the put-in they advanced out wide to 5 metres out then Sullivan was unstoppable to the line near the posts after 23 minutes to give Barnes the lead. McIntyre added.

Barnes secured the restart then regained their up-and-under then advanced recycling 3 times before getting a penalty at the opposition 10 metre line. The touch-kick gave them a line-out 8 metres out; when the drive went down the ball was recycled several times before Burgess sent Sullivan to the corner for his hat trick at 28 minutes. The conversion was wide. Barnes secured the restart, launched an up-and-under then forced a turnover. They recycled twice before kicking into the other half. Worthing kicked out on the full giving the opposition a line-out deep in their half. The pack drove into the 22 before the ball was released. Hersey made a break but the attack was halted by another charge down of a kick. Worthing got a scrum for accidental offside; kicks were exchanged with the second marked by the visitors in their 22. Worthing kicked long; Barnes ran it back recycling before kicking to touch in their opponents' 22. Worthing kicked for territory; Bevan ran it back at them breaking the line. The ball was dropped soon after it was recycled; this after 6 minutes of attacking. From the scrum 27 metres from their own line, the visitors swiftly broke out to get their last try. Initially released to centre it was then recycled tight then varied twice more before a blind side break. Barnes got back to defend near their 22 but more very good recycling got Worthing very close and a Barnes man illegally prevented a try resulting in an only 3 minute rest for him but a penalty try for the opposition. Metters converted. Worthing kicked the restart; Barnes kicked high then won a turnover and advanced to an opposition line-out. Metters dropped the line-out ball giving Barnes a put-in 16 metres out. A back row pickup then 3 recycles and an offload gave the ball to lock Crimmens who forced his way over at the posts. McIntyre added at the whistle. Barnes’ three-quarters needed to be on their game to match the skilful opposition backs but this game was won by the pack that dominated loose play.

Conditions dry, cold 100% cloud, variable light wind with the pitch firmer.

Book your OPRO mouth guard day!

Key moments

Penalty James McIntyre kicks a penalty for Barnes 2nd XV
Conversion James McIntyre kicks a conversion for Barnes 2nd XV
Try Tom Malaney scores for Barnes 2nd XV
Try Dan Sullivan scores for Barnes 2nd XV
Try Dan Sullivan scores for Barnes 2nd XV
Conversion James McIntyre kicks a conversion for Barnes 2nd XV
Try Dan Sullivan scores for Barnes 2nd XV
Try Alex Crimmens scores for Barnes 2nd XV
Conversion James McIntyre kicks a conversion for Barnes 2nd XV
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes 2nd XV
  • Worthing
  • 0
  • James McIntyre Penalty 4:00'
  • James McIntyre Conversion 9:00'
  • Tom Malaney Try 9:00'
  • Dan Sullivan Try 39:00'
  • Dan Sullivan Try 50:00'
  • James McIntyre Conversion 50:00'
  • Dan Sullivan Try 62:00'
  • Alex Crimmens Try 80:00'
  • James McIntyre Conversion 80:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors