Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

J Greenwood
T O'Toole
Sat 18 Apr 15:00 - London & SE Division - National League 3 London & SE Full time

One unforced error decided the outcome.

Barnes only needed 1 point and got it, Westcliff wanted more.

Westcliff chose to let the visitors kick-off with the advantage of the strong wind in the first half. Two kicks followed then Westcliff ran the ball before being forced into touch 30 metres out. Barnes intended a rolling maul from the line-out but the Ref. said they got it wrong and the defence got a scrum. Advancing with a back row pick-up and 2 tight recycles got them the first penalty 12 metres inside their half. An error at their line-out in the other half gave Barnes a free-kick which they ran then two kicks resulted in another line-out for the visitors 17 metres from their opponents' line. Again they opted for a drive to the line; after some advance the Ref. signalled a penalty but waited for an advantage. The maul went down and Barnes sent the ball wide then; the defence forced an error 5 metres out near the far touchline and Ref. judged that the visitors had had an advantage and awarded the defence a scrum put-in. From that they advanced 9 metres to get a penalty that was kicked to touch 9 metres inside their half. From the line-out they kept the ball close, recycling 4 times before dropping the ball then getting it back straight away with a turnover. They kicked ahead and Barnes ran the ball back before being forced into touch near halfway. From the line-out they varied their options a few times without going wide and unable to advance until the opposition forced an error to get the ball. They went wide but Westcliff also forced an error and the Ref. went back for a Barnes' scrum. Now the visitors' pack were pushed back and Westcliff got the ball and launched an up-and-under that resulted in their getting a line-out 3 metres inside their half. From this they recycled 8 times, mostly close before scrumhalf Parmenter broke into the 22 and the ball was sent wide for further advance. From a ruck 4 metres out they recycled tight 6 times to send wing Merrick over before 13 minutes. This from their first foray into the opposition half; the conversion was wide.

They secured the restart and kicked to touch 15 metres inside their half. The visitors released to centre from the line-out then recycled close 3 times before the ball went loose and was hacked up field by Westcliff. Barnes ran the ball back wide then were soon turned over. Westcliff cleared to touch but out on the full giving the visitors a line-out back just outside the 22. The ball was thrown long and the wind made it not-straight giving the opposition a scrum, from which they advanced to 30 metres out where they were penalised. Barnes kicked for a line-out 13 metres out. The rolling maul was soon taken down and the ball was released; wing Cottenden took it on then the ball was released to the other wing Greenwood who stepped, cutting in and went to the posts at 18 minutes. Fullback O'Toole added.

Barnes kicked the restart back into the opposition 22; Westcliff ran the ball to get a penalty at the 22 and then ran that well to get into the other half where they recycled strongly 8 times advancing further until their unforced error gave the defence a scrum 26 metres out. The visitors kicked ahead; Westcliff recycled 6 times then there were 2 turnovers in quick succession before Westcliff recycled 4 more times before they were turned over. Centre Jones made a break then was penalised for not releasing 18 metres into the opposition half. This was kicked to touch 4 metres into the other half. The line-out was thrown past the end and opposition no. 8 Popham got the ball. Barnes went wide and advanced with 5 phases until passing forward 7 metres out. From this scrum Westcliff went wider then recycled twice before kicking high to touch. The visitors took a quick throw-in and kicked laterally to the far side but the opposition got to the ball first and made good yards then recycled 4 times before the opposition forced an error to get possession. The ball was chipped over the opposition line but comfortably dealt with then Westcliff recycled well 5 more times to get a penalty 19 metres out in centre field just before the half hour. Parmenter's kick was blown aside.

Barnes kicked long to the opposition 22 with the help of the wind. Westcliff ran the ball back excellently with their best sequence of phases up to that time and got a penalty 8 metres into the opposition half. This was run by their forwards, making 8 metres while recycling twice then were penalised. The kick took the visitors 8 metres into the other half. Westcliff got the wind-blown ball at the line-out and launched an up-and-under that Barnes cleared to touch at their own 10 metre line. They got a free-kick at that and ran it before soon losing possession. Westcliff then kicked to touch just into the opposition half. The Ref. determined that the visitors failed to set up a driving maul properly and awarded a scrum to the opposition. Barnes' pack put Westcliff under pressure at that but were penalised and the ball was kicked to touch 12 metres into the visitors' half. Westcliff set up a valid drive from their line-out but it was soon stopped by the opposition. The ball was recycled once before they were turned over; Barnes chipped through the line. Westcliff dealt with this then got a penalty when a tackler failed to release the ball carrier. They kicked for touch but missed; Barnes kicked ahead then Westcliff kicked out on the full giving their opponents a line-out 12 metres into the other half. They went wide from the line-out before dropping the ball in the centre for the halftime whistle. Westcliff had had 3/4 of the possession but rather less than half of the territory, having played against the wind.

When Westcliff kicked-off for the second half two opposition players went for the ball and it was dropped and the second player picked it up giving Westcliff a penalty 24 metres out near centre field inside 30 seconds and Parmenter kicked for the final score of the game.

The visitors' restart didn't go 10 metres. From the scrum back Westcliff put together an excellent set of 17 phases, advancing to 14 metres out, before being turned over. This was immediately followed by a penalty for the visitors that was kicked, not far, to touch still only 27 metres from their line. From this line-out they set up a drive that didn't last long then launched an up-and-under that went nowhere but they regained it then got another penalty 30 metres out. This was put into touch on halfway and from the line-out quickly went wide then were forced into touch 4 metres into the opposition half. Barnes got a free-kick at the line-out and they ran the ball but almost immediately an unforced error gave Westcliff a scrum 7 metres into their half. From that they went blind and were forced into touch still in their half. Barnes tried wider ball from the line-out and got a penalty without advancing. They ran this one and recycled twice close before being turned over. Westcliff kicked long; the visitors ran the ball back into the other half, recycling 5 times before being penalised at a breakdown. Westcliff put the ball into touch just inside the opposition 22. This line-out resulted in a free-kick to the home team and their forwards ran it. After they recycled 4 times they were forced back then turned over. Barnes' lock Collins made yards but not long afterwards an error gave possession back to Westcliff who then put together 10 phases without advancing to get a penalty 1 metre into the opposition half at 15 minutes. They tried for 3 points but missed.

The visitors ran the ball from their line and their backs broke out to halfway with 4 recycles to get a scrum there. After that they varied their recycling with 4 phases before being penalised at a breakdown then sent 10 metres back by the Ref. The kick took Westcliff to just outside the opposition 22. From the line-out they set up a rolling maul; the Ref. signalled a penalty but played advantage. After some good advance and recycling then a drop-goal attempt the Ref. went back to award a penalty 12 metres out. Westcliff's pack ran this and recycled once before being turned over. Barnes let their backs have the ball, recycling twice before launching an up-and-under that resulted in their penalty 28 metres out. They kicked to touch 6 metres inside their half then set up a drive from the line-out. The pack advanced then the drive broke up and the visitors advanced recycled three times and got a penalty 11 metres into the other half. The kick took them to the 22 then from the line-out they were prevented from advancing and a handling error gave the defence the next scrum 26 metres out. At this Westcliff were pushed back and Ref. gave a put-in to the visitors who then kept the ball in and moved forward to get a penalty at the 22. They chose to have another scrum and this got them another penalty. This was at 27 minutes and near centre field and they decided to ask O'Toole to kick the points. Just like Parmenter's kick just before the half hour in the first half the wind blew it to the right of the posts.

Barnes ran the 22 drop-out back and early broke through the line; they varied their recycling 7 times with O'Toole, Greenwood and Cottenham looking dangerous before a last pass was forward 18 metres from their opponents' line. Westcliff soon kicked after the scrum; the visitors then ran the ball wide then an isolated player was penalised for not releasing 4 metres inside his team's half. Parmenter had a go for the posts from their and missed. The 22 drop-out resulted in an opposition line-out 14 metres into the visitors' half. Westcliff kept the ball close and recycled 3 times and advanced until the defence got the next scrum 24 metres out. Barnes then went wide but immediately dropped possession; advantage was played and Westcliff's forwards advanced again until the defence got another put-in 14 metres out. After a back row pick-up and 2 recycles Barnes were forced into touch 16 metres inside their half. From the line-out Westcliff recycled close twice to get a scrum at the same place. They were pushed off the ball then the visitors recycled 3 times before being turned over; immediately after they were penalised near halfway. Westcliff kicked for a line-out 30 metres from Barnes' line then kept the ball close for 2 phases before the defence forced an error and the Ref. blew the final whistle.

In the second half Westcliff’s advantage was mostly in better continuity and perhaps less unforced errors. Both defences were very good in this half.

100% blue sky, dry, cool with a strong gusting wind on a firm pitch.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Key moments

Try James Greenwood scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom O'Toole kicks a conversion for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Westcliff
  • Barnes
  • 0
  • James Greenwood Try 39:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Conversion 40:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 3 London & SE results

East Grinstead
Tonbridge Juddians


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bury St Edmunds 26 80
2. London Irish Wild Geese 26 76
3. Barnes 26 76
4. East Grinstead 26 64
5. Hertford 26 56
6. Westcombe Park 26 51
7. Chichester 26 50

Team sponsors


Club sponsors