Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

J Hersey, T O'Toole, M Popham (2), F Jones (2), L Williams, K Cottenden
T O'Toole (3)
Sat 21 Mar 15:00 - London & SE Division - National League 3 London & SE Full time

A good response to the reverse fixture

Normal Service Continued

The kick-off by the visitors went into touch off one of the opposition; from the line-out Hertford released to centre and advanced to 26 metres out where the defence got a scrum put-in. Barnes kept the ball in and moved up field to get the first penalty that was kicked to touch 14 metres into the other half. At the line-out the visitors got a free-kick for a slow throw-in. They kicked high; two more kicks followed, the second as their first and they claimed a high-bouncing ball and advanced to their opponents' 22 where the ball was dropped. Barnes kicked for territory and Hertford ran the ball back, recycling 4 times without much advance but got a penalty that was kicked well to touch 6 metres out. They were driven back a bit from their line-out then recycled 3 times before the defence forced an error and got the ball. Barnes quickly broke out to halfway with 4 phases before a break by O'Toole then a couple of passes put centre Hersey over near posts after 6 minutes. O'Toole converted.

Hertford forced the opposition into touch from the restart then from their line-out recycled 7 times, mostly close, but with a switch of play and got another penalty. This was kicked for a line-out 12 metres out; their pack set for a drive and got close to the line before this went down. They recycled 4 times to get another penalty and put the ball into touch for a line-out 5 metres out. The result of this was a scrum for the defence at which ball came out at the side and Barnes were penalised. Hertford chose a scrum, 6 metres out, and from it let their backs have it. After 2 recycles they were intercepted by Williams-Davies who broke away; the defence got back but gave away a penalty 7 metres inside their half; this was kicked for a line-out 11 metres out. Barnes kept the ball close and advanced to get another penalty 6 metres out. Now they too chose a scrum from which they went wide. The defence held to get their put-in also 6 metres out. From this they kicked high towards touch. A Barnes' player caught this then setting off put a foot on the line giving Hertford a line-out at their 22. After the line-out they kicked ahead and high; Barnes ran the ball wide, around the defence, and again putting the ball through the hands. The move was finished with no. 8 Popham touching down at the posts on 21 minutes. O'Toole added.

The restart resulted in a Hertford put-in at the opposition 10 metre line. From this they varied their options and advanced to 18 metres out where they defence was penalised. They opted for the 3 points but the kick was wide. Hertford kicked again after fielding the 22 drop-out and an error gave them another scrum 28 metres out. After this they recycled 8 times, mostly tight, until the defence forced an error to get the put-in 20 metres out. Popham got the ball wide and Barnes soon kicked high. Hertford ran the ball back and broke through after 2 recycles only to be turned over. Barnes recycled twice before chipping over and Hertford cleared to touch just past halfway. At first, from the line-out, Barnes kept the ball in then let their backs have it. O'Toole made a break then the ball was put through the hands with centre Jones finishing at the posts at the half hour. O'Toole added.

The restart resulted in a Barnes' line-out; this was followed by 5 kicks resulting in a Hertford line-out 29 metres from the opposition line. They advanced from this with a bit of luck to 8 metres out then after 4 recycles the defence stole the ball and cleared to touch still 15 metres inside their half. Hertford were forced back a bit after a couple of recycles then an error gave Barnes the next scrum. They kept the ball in to get a penalty 4 metres inside their half and kicked for a line-out 20 metres into the other half. Soon after the line-out the defence forced an error to get possession and kicked. Barnes kicked back into the 22 and Hertford ran the ball out before kicking again. O'Toole returned this to touch 16 metres out. At this line-out an error gave Barnes a scrum put-in from which they released wide and got to 5 metres out where the defence regained possession. After two recycles Hertford tried an up-and-under that was run back by Jones, backing himself over 40 metres to outrun the defence, and go over at the corner. A very good conversion from O'Toole followed before the whistle.

The visitors kicked back the second half restart; O'Toole chipped over and regained and soon after Hertford were penalised at their 22. The kick took Barnes to a line-out 9 metres out and drive got them another penalty 6 metres out. From the second line-out and drive Popham touched down before 3 minutes. The conversion was wide. An error at the restart gave the visitors a put-in 14 metres into their opponents' half. After the scrum and two recycles Barnes forced an error and kicked to touch deep into the other half. From the line-out they cleared to touch still 9 metres inside their half. After this line-out Jones broke through at centre then Barnes got to the line after which Hertford got a 5 metre scrum. They cleared to touch to 17 metres from halfway; from this line-out Franklin made a break which got his team a penalty 30 metres out taking them to another line-out 16 metres out. A drive took them to the line with flanker Williams on the ball at 10 minutes. The conversion missed.

O'Toole kicked well to touch after the restart into the other half. After the line-out Hertford soon chipped over. Barnes deal with this but soon lost possession then Hertford kicked out on the full giving the opposition an attacking line-out at the 22. Soon Barnes lost possession again and after a couple of recycles the visitors kicked high and long. Barnes ran the ball back through the hands sending wing Cottenden to the corner at 15 minutes. The conversion was wide. The restart resulted in a Barnes' scrum after which they advanced out wide and got a penalty for a high tackle. This was kicked to touch at the opposition 10 metre line and from the line-out they varied their recycling with 8 phases before Hertford forced a turnover. Now they had the ball for 4 phases until an error gave Barnes a scrum 30 metres from their opponents' line. After this a couple of errors resulted in a penalty for the visitors that was kicked well for a line-out 17 metres from Barnes' line. From this they fed a forward standing out then sent the ball wider. A Barnes' forward went for an intercept but the ball went down off one hand and he went off for 10 minutes. They ran this penalty to get another 6 metres out and chose a scrum from which they released to centre before replacement Keens went over at the posts at 28 minutes. Russell converted. Hertford ran the ball from the restart to get a penalty at the opposition 10 metre line. The kick took them to a line-out just inside the 22. From this their forwards advanced before releasing to the backs and they got over the line but were held up. An error at centre after their 5 metre put-in gave the opposition a scrum still 5 metres out. Barnes got a penalty at that and kicked to touch then had their line-out stolen. Hertford advanced putting together 6 varied phases to get a penalty 12 metres out which they ran and this resulted in another yellow card for a Barnes' forward then Hertford's second try scored by flanker MacDougall with 4 minutes to go and converted by Russell. From the restart Hertford again recycled and retained well until passing forward and after the scrum Barnes put the ball into touch for the whistle.

Grey and overcast, with a gusting wind across the pitch which was in good condition.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Crab Football

Key moments

Try James Hersey scores for Barnes
Try Tom O'Toole scores for Barnes
Try Marc Popham scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom O'Toole kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Fergus Jones scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom O'Toole kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Fergus Jones scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom O'Toole kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Marc Popham scores for Barnes
Try Luke Williams scores for Barnes
Try Kris Cottenden scores for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Hertford
  • 0
  • James Hersey Try 6:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Try 7:00'
  • Marc Popham Try 21:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Conversion 22:00'
  • Fergus Jones Try 30:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Conversion 31:00'
  • Fergus Jones Try 39:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Conversion 40:00'
  • Marc Popham Try 43:00'
  • Luke Williams Try 50:00'
  • Kris Cottenden Try 58:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 3 London & SE results

East Grinstead
Tonbridge Juddians


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bury St Edmunds 26 80
2. London Irish Wild Geese 26 76
3. Barnes 26 76
4. East Grinstead 26 64
5. Hertford 26 56
6. Westcombe Park 26 51
7. Chichester 26 50

Team sponsors


Club sponsors