Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

East Grinstead
E Alterac, W Alkin
T O'Toole
T O'Toole (2)
Sat 18 Oct 15:00 - London & SE Division - National League 3 London & SE Full time

One that got away!

Barnes not capitalising on 2 YCs towards the end of the 1st 1/2 then conceding many penalties in the 2nd.

The visitors were awarded the first penalty following their line-out after Barnes had cleared to touch from the restart. This was kicked for another line-out 15 metres from the opposition try line. From that Grinstead monopolised possession with excellent recycling, including another 2 penalties kicked for closer line-outs. Eventually Barnes forced an error to get a scrum put-in 9 metres out and following that kicked ahead, not to touch. Grinstead's backs ran the ball, stretching the defence until after 5 recycles centre Hinds touched down before 8 minutes. Fly-half Meakin converted. The visitors returned the restart with an up-and-under; Barnes dealt with this and kept ball in hand to get their first penalty which they ran before kicking to touch without advancing. After two more kicks were exchanged Grinstead were turned over then Barnes kicked again. This time it was lock Collins and this resulted in an attacking scrum 11 metres from the visitors' line. The defence was good and soon forced a turnover and cleared to touch. Barnes attacked at centre from the line-out 30 metres out and this got them a kickable penalty that fly-half O'Toole converted before 16 minutes.

The restart resulted in a Barnes' put-in; this was soon followed by a Grinstead turnover but almost immediately another Barnes' scrum and just as quickly one for the opposition. Another turnover followed then 3 kicks, the last to touch. Grinstead took a quick throw-in then they were turned over. Barnes created their best attack thus far and this resulted in a scrum in their opponents' 22. Before this and also after it there was some frantic play by the attacking side with the outcome being a defensive scrum, still just inside the 22 and a penalty to Grinstead at that. They kicked for a line-out then afterwards kicked out on the full. The next line-out was followed by a Barnes' scrum at which they got a penalty. This was kicked for a line-out just outside the defence's 22 but it was stolen. 4 kicks followed resulting in a line-out for the visitors near halfway. They went wide before kicking; Barnes returned this with an up-and-under. This fell to Meakin who made a good break that got his team to their line-out in the opposition 22. This was thrown not-straight giving Barnes a put-in then immediately after it they were penalised for not releasing. The ball was kicked for a line-out 9 metres out and from that the pack advanced before flanker Denbee broke off to touch down after 32 minutes. Meakin added.

The restart was followed by a Barnes' scrum and from it they advanced keeping the ball tight then varied their plays (this their best set of phases to this point) to get a penalty 10 metres out and a man advantage for 10 minutes. The penalty was put into touch for a 5-metre line-out after which they got another penalty and another man advantage for 10 minutes. After the second line-out and their maul having gone down they recycled a couple of times before going to the blind side where hooker Alteirac got over and O'Toole converted before the halftime whistle.

After the restart the visitors kicked to touch after taking the ball into their 22 giving the opposition a line-out just inside the 22. Barnes' attack again appeared to be rather frantic and the defence forced them back and got the next scrum put-in. Now Grinstead were sent backwards and they were penalised at their 22. The kick took Barnes to their line-out 9 metres out. After keeping the ball tight they broke blind for fullback Alkin to touch down wide out after 4 minutes and to take the lead. The conversion missed.

Grinstead kicked the restart long and this was dropped by a Barnes' player. Advantage was played but the visitors were soon turned over. The ball was cleared to touch then the line-out thrown not-straight. A penalty at the scrum took Barnes to a line-out in the other half and from that they made some good progress before some chaos resulted in a penalty for the visitors. The kick took Grinstead to halfway then from their line-out they put the ball through the hands with some better continuity to get a penalty 15 metres into their opponents' half in centre field and Meakin kicked for the lead after 12 minutes. The visitors kicked the restart back high then Barnes recycled 4 times before Grinstead forced an error to get a scrum 9 metres into their own half. From this they kicked ahead diagonally well into the other half and quickly forced a turnover and soon after that were awarded a kickable penalty at the opposition 22 and a man advantage for 10 minutes. Meakin kicked the points within 4 minutes of his previous kick.

An error at this restart gave the visitors another scrum at halfway and they got a penalty at it. The kick took them to their line-out 16 metres out. They recycled well until being turned over; Barnes cleared to touch then Grinstead threw the line-out not-straight. After the scrum Barnes were penalised for not releasing. The next line-out was 13 metres out; Barnes defended well and forced an error. They got the loose ball, sent it wide then kicked long into the other half; Grinstead cleared to touch 9 metres inside their half. They recycled 3 times before chipping over the defence and this got them a kickable penalty 27 metres out which O'Toole converted early in the final quarter.

The restart was followed by 2 kicks and Barnes' last man dropped the second giving the opposition an attacking put-in 11 metres out. From the scrum Grinstead recycled twice before being turned over; Barnes opted for an up-and-under. The visitors sent the ball wide but soon lost possession. Barnes counter-attacked to the next event, a line-out for Grinstead not far inside their half. From it the visitors advanced a bit to get a penalty; this time the kick didn't find touch. Barnes kicked ahead then 3 more kicks followed to give Barnes a line-out outside of their 22. They tried keeping the ball tight but gave away a kickable penalty which Meakin converted at 34 minutes. The restart resulted in a line-out for the visitors which Barnes stole before almost immediately being penalised; Grinstead got another penalty soon after their line-out. This time Meakin's kick hit a post and stayed out. Barnes ran the ball out of their 22 where they got a penalty and they ran that, recycled 4 times then kicked ahead to the opposition try line where the defence saved at the whistle.

Dry at the start with light rain in the middle of the game; fairly windy.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: 1x1 rip

Key moments

Penalty Tom O'Toole kicks a penalty for Barnes
Try Ed Alterac scores for Barnes
Try Will Alkin scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom O'Toole kicks a conversion for Barnes
Penalty Tom O'Toole kicks a penalty for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • East Grinstead
  • 0
  • Tom O'Toole Penalty 1:00'
  • Ed Alterac Try 39:00'
  • Will Alkin Try 45:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Conversion 46:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Penalty 50:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 3 London & SE results

Tonbridge Juddians


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bury St Edmunds 26 80
2. London Irish Wild Geese 26 76
3. Barnes 26 76
4. East Grinstead 26 64
5. Hertford 26 56
6. Westcombe Park 26 51
7. Chichester 26 50

Team sponsors


Club sponsors