Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Westcombe Park
E Alterac
T Hupfield
T Hupfield
Sat 11 Oct 15:00 - London & SE Division - National League 3 London & SE Full time

Much talent on show in Westcombe’s back line.

The build-up and scoring of Park’s 6 tries took somewhat less than a quarter of this game.

The visitors kicked off and the first few minutes were uneventful then from a scrum 14 metres inside their half Westcombe's backs showed why their team is the unbeaten league leader. With ease they passed and backed up without a breakdown to get their first try, scored after 5 minutes by fullback Stone. Fly-half Simpson converted. They secured the restart and send the ball wide and wing Gray immediately broke through, made a lot of yards then kicked to the line. The defence got the ball resulting in a 22 drop-out. From that Park were soon back attacking Barnes' line until the visitors got a put-in 5 metres out. After the scrum Barnes' kicked, and not to touch, whereupon the opposition ran the ball back to score again easily before 10 minutes, touched down by scrumhalf Roux. The conversion missed. The visitors regained their restart, recycled twice then kicked to touch into the 22. Park threw the line-out not-straight and were penalised at the following scrum. Fly-half Hupfield kicked the points before 12 minutes.

Barnes did not secure the restart and Westcombe got the ball and attacked but after some recycling they were penalised. This was kicked to touch, still in the visitors half. Soon after the line-out 'Combe were penalised and Barnes ran this making 30 plus yards before an error gave Westcombe the next scrum just outside of their 22. They kicked long from that and the visitors put together some phases before passing forward near halfway. The Ref. had to speak to the front rows and after the scrum was reset Barnes pushed Park back and got their own put-in. From this after a couple of recycles they kicked to the line but too far and the ball went dead. After the 22 drop-out there were two more kicks before a Barnes' knock-on. From their scrum put-in 14 metres into their half Westcombe's backs put together another excellent example of their talent that was finished by a try at the corner by Roux early in the second quarter. A very good conversion by Simpson followed.

The visitors restarted longer but Park just ran the ball back and scored again without a breakdown with Gray touching down 2 minutes after the previous try for their bonus-point at the posts followed by two more points for Simpson

'Combe were penalised just after the restart; Barnes kicked for a line-out and drive and got another penalty, kicked again for a line-out 5 metres out. Their pack got over but were held-up then after their scrum and three recycles they were turned over and Westcombe kicked and chased well to make another turnover. They recycled twice making excellent ground until they too were turned over at Barnes' 22. Errors crept into the last part of the half. Barnes' wing Greenwood made a very good break after Barnes sent ball wide from a line-out. He beat a couple of defenders but lost the ball near the line when tackled from behind. Either side of this Westcombe had been penalised before the halftime whistle.

The visitors were soon attacking after their restart with good recycling. The defence forced an error to get a put-in outside their 22. This scrum took some time be settled then a free-kick was awarded against Park. Barnes ran this and recycled well to get a penalty that they also ran with no. 8 Mortimer breaking through until the visitors' defence held to get a scrum 14 metres from their line. Just after this they were turned over and Barnes again recycled well before passing forward 9 metres out. Barnes were sent back to the 22 where they got a penalty. This was kicked for a line-out 6 metres out from which their pack drove for the line, coming in a bit from touch, and replacement hooker Alteirac on the ball at 10 minutes. Hupfield added

Barnes were penalised not long after the restart; this and another penalty got them to their attacking line-out 5 metres out. Their pack got over but they were held up. From the scrum they released to centre then recycled twice to open up the defence and sent Stone over near the posts after 15 minutes. Simpson added.

Westcombe cleared the restart to touch; Barnes took a quick line-out and wing Bevan made good yards before the defence forced an error. The visitors were penalised at their scrum and Barnes ran the ball to soon get another which was kicked for a line-out 10 metres out. They did not advance from that but got the next put-in and free-kick at that and chose another scrum. The defence was good resulting in a Westcombe line-out. They kicked from that then Barnes ran the ball back at them with lots of width before being penalised for crossing. Park kicked to touch for territory then were rather slow to throw the ball in and the Ref. gave Barnes a free-kick for that which they ran. Again the defence was good and got a penalty for not releasing. This was kicked to touch well into the other half and their pack kept the ball close before going wide and until they were forced into touch 5 metres out.

They stole the line-out then after a couple of recycles tried a chip over the defence. This was marked in the 22 then cleared to touch. Westcombe threw their line-out not-straight and had a free-kick given against them at the following scrum. Barnes ran this but soon dropped the ball; advantage was played and Park sent the ball wide. This was followed by a red card against Barnes for a potentially dangerous tackle with 10 minutes to go. The visitors kicked to touch into the defence's 22 but an error at the line-out gave Barnes a scrum. From that they kicked up field; Westcombe ran the ball back into the 22 where they were penalised. This was kicked for a line-out and after it they varied their recycling until they too were penalised without having advanced. Park's kick didn't find touch but they soon won a penalty 5 metres out and Roux was quickly over at 33 minutes. The conversion was wide. Westcombe were soon back attacking after the restart with a break in the centre. Accidental offside at the 22 gave Barnes a put-in; after an error from both teams they were forced back to another scrum then soon after that kicked high and got a penalty just inside the opposition half for not releasing. They ran this then kicked ahead to the line. Park got to the ball and cleared to touch; Barnes took a quick line-out and sent the ball wide. Three errors finished the game.

Bright sunshine after early rain, 85% clear sky; some wind on a very good pitch.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: 1x1 rip

Key moments

Penalty Tom Hupfield kicks a penalty for Barnes
Try Ed Alterac scores for Barnes
Conversion Tom Hupfield kicks a conversion for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Westcombe Park
  • Barnes
  • 0
  • Tom Hupfield Penalty 25:00'
  • Ed Alterac Try 60:00'
  • Tom Hupfield Conversion 61:00'
  • Simon Givens Red Card 70:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 3 London & SE results

East Grinstead
Tonbridge Juddians


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bury St Edmunds 26 80
2. London Irish Wild Geese 26 76
3. Barnes 26 76
4. East Grinstead 26 64
5. Hertford 26 56
6. Westcombe Park 26 51
7. Chichester 26 50

Team sponsors


Club sponsors