Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Tonbridge Juddians
J Remfry, F Jones
G Williams-Davies, T O'Toole
Sat 4 Oct 15:00 - London & SE Division - National League 3 London & SE Full time

Barnes led through the first half ...

before 2 tries early in the 2nd put them behind. Barnes responded but Tonbridge regained the lead in the final quarter and finished the stronger

Early on the visitors were frequently penalised at the breakdown while in the scrums they were awarded several free-kicks then a penalty. This resulted in 3 - 3 early before the end of the first quarter after first Williams-Davies then early replacement Redman exchanged kicks. Before this Tonbridge had stolen the first line-out and Barnes had thrown the next not-straight and had stolen the second scrum against the head. Following the restart Barnes stayed in the opposition half with the help of a scrum free-kick and two penalties but lost their fly-half early in the second quarter. Juddians defended well and a penalty stopped Barnes' attack. A kick out on the full got the visitors into the other half and from the line-out they recycled well until having a kick charged down. From this Barnes broke out and got a penalty just inside the opposition 22 in centre field and fullback O'Toole, having moved up to no. 10 kicked the points at 25 minutes.

After the restart and a Barnes' put-in, the visitors were penalised but stole the line-out that followed. When Barnes were penalised, Tonbridge kicked for a line-out in the other half. They kept ball tight before being turned over. Barnes launched an up-and-under that centre Hersey got and after further advance they won a man advantage for 10 minutes after 33 minutes. The penalty was kicked to touch 15 metres out; after the line-out Barnes' drive was stopped then lock Williams made yards and the ball was recycled to sent prop Remfry over wide-out at 35 minutes. The conversion was wide. Barnes were soon back in the other half and kicked to touch. The visitors didn't secure their line-out for a change and this resulted in another for the opposition 26 metres out. Barnes varied their plays with 5 recycles and a break from Hersey before being turned over at the line. That defence was a crucial turning point. The visitors kicked to clear then Barnes were penalised just before the whistle.

Tonbridge kicked back the second half restart; Barnes kept the ball for 5 phases before kicking. Two more kicks followed before the visitors got a penalty not far into the opposition half. A very good kick took them to their line-out 9 metres out and from there their pack drove without too much trouble to the line with flanker Bent on the ball at 3 minutes. The conversion was wide. Not long after the restart Barnes lost possession while attacking and a long kick and good follow up got the visitors a scrum 7 metres from the opposition line. From that Tonbridge put together a very good sequence of 10 phases for prop O'Sullivan to get over at the corner after 8 minutes and take the lead for the first time. The conversion missed. Barnes responded well; they soon a got a free-kick at an opposition scrum and ran it, putting together 12 phases before being turned over. Juddians broke out into the other half but were then penalised and Barnes kicked for line-out not far into the opposition half. From that they soon broke blind to get to 5 metres out and after one recycled released to centre Jones who scored their second try after 15 minutes and the lead back. The conversion missed.

Now Tonbridge responded strongly with very good retention and recycling to get a penalty 26 metres from Barnes' line. This got them a line-out 5 metres out and they kept ball tight from it. Barnes forced a turned and kicked and this got them a put-in just inside their 22. At that they got a free-kick; the kick resulted in a scrum for the visitors still inside Barnes' half. From that for a change Tonbridge soon used wider ball and broke down the wing and this resulted in a try for Redman coming in to touch down at the posts to regain the lead at 25 minutes. He added. After some to-and-from Barnes were penalised for not releasing and Redman kicked a long penalty at 30 minutes. By this time injuries meant Barnes were down to 14 men on the pitch then 13 before the end. Another runaway try from an interception by fly-half just before the final whistle sealed it for the visitors with Redman adding from in front of the post again.

The earlier rain stopped at the start of the game and the sun was shining at the start of the second half.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Key moments

Penalty Gareth Williams-Davies kicks a penalty for Barnes
Penalty Tom O'Toole kicks a penalty for Barnes
Try Jim Remfry scores for Barnes
Try Fergus Jones scores for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Tonbridge Juddians
  • 0
  • Gareth Williams-Davies Penalty 1:00'
  • Tom O'Toole Penalty 2:00'
  • Jim Remfry Try 3:00'
  • Fergus Jones Try 4:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 3 London & SE results

East Grinstead


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bury St Edmunds 26 80
2. London Irish Wild Geese 26 76
3. Barnes 26 76
4. East Grinstead 26 64
5. Hertford 26 56
6. Westcombe Park 26 51
7. Chichester 26 50

Team sponsors


Club sponsors