Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Westcombe Park
Sat 12 Apr 15:00 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

Last match of season 2013-4 @WP

Late, mislaid report

The visitors kicked off against the wind; the ball wasn't dealt with resulting in a line-out for Park. After it kicks were exchanged resulting in another line-out still in their half. That was thrown not-straight giving Barnes the first scrum. Park got a free kick at the put-in and they ran it making two breaks among five recycles before the defence was penalised inside the 22 and fly-half Gordon kicked the points before 3 minutes were up. Again Westcombe didn't deal with the restart but then secured possession and kicked for territory. Barnes' fly-half Wicks ran the ball beating 2 men and gave centre Hersey a first run. Hooker Crossley started the recycling then after 3 more recycles Wicks fed wing Lewis before the defence was penalised 5 metres out in front of the posts. Barnes decided to run the penalty and were easily over at 6 minutes with Luke Williams scoring. Fullback Clarke added.

Park regained their restart and advanced well varying their recycles twice wide then twice close to get a scrum 18 metres out. Westcombe got the ball way despite being under pressure and recycled 3 more times before being turned over. A penalty for the visitors followed immediately and Park were marched back 10 more metres. Barnes kicked for a line-out 9 metres into the other half. They set up a rolling maul and moved forward to get a penalty 20 metres from the opposition line. This was put into touch for a line-out 6 metres out. The defence prevent the next drive and forced the opposition back to get a penalty for not releasing just outside the 22. This was kicked to touch just inside the other half then the line-out resulted in a Barnes' scrum. After it an error gave the opposition one at the same place. From this they released to centre then recycled close twice before kicking to touch 15 metres from their opponents' line. Barnes cleared to touch from the line-out but not far then the next line-out was followed by a Park scrum. They got a free-kick at that before the put-in and their backs ran this; 3 recycles got them to the 22 then 9 more recycles got the ball into the hands of wing Gray and a great solo effort from him got Park's first try towards the end of the first quarter at the posts. Gordon added.

The visitors regained their restart and their back row made yards before a pass was made to the opposition. Park cleared to touch 5 metres inside their half. From the line-out the ball was released wide and wing Wilde beat a couple of men getting to the opposition 22. After 2 recycles the visitors were penalised for not releasing and Park cleared to touch near their previous line-out. From this line-out they started a drive and when it broke up they released to centre and wing Adeniya broke through to the far corner for their second try at 23 minutes. The conversion was wide. Westcombe secured their restart and soon kicked for territory well? into the other half; centre Jones set off on a brilliant run weaving through the opposition to their 22. The ball was quickly recycled wide and on to lock Collins who found space out in front of him; he went to the line not far from the posts within 3 minutes of the previous try. Clarke added. The visitors secured the restart and moved up close to halfway with 6 recycles before Park forced an error to get the next scrum put-in. They kicked well to touch to the far side at the opposition 22. The visitors threw the line-out long and the wind made it clearly not-straight. From the scrum Westcombe put together their best sequence of phases so far, recycling 9 times, including a switch of play and 2 breaks to get to 5 metres out before the Ref. took them back to a penalty 16 metres out in centre field just after the half-hour. Gordon kicked the points

The restart resulted in a penalty for Park outside of their 22. The kick took them to the opposition 10 metre line. From that their pack set for a drive an advanced; a player broke off with the ball then after one recycle they lost the ball at a tackle. Advantage was played; Barnes recycled twice before the ball was kicked out on the full giving Park a line-out 30 metres from the opposition line (though no advantage had accrued). The visitors tapped the ball at the line-out and Park got it back. They got the ball wide then broke blind after the breakdown and flanker Purdy went over at the corner just before 35 minutes. Gordon converted. Westcombe secured the restart and recycled 3 times before kicking; the visitors dealt with this and were almost immediately awarded a penalty 5 metres into the opposition half. Clarke tried for the points but missed against the wind; Park kicked up field and Barnes ran the ball back well to the 22 and recycled a few more times before the halftime whistle.

Westcombe regained the second half restart and recycled 4 times before being penalised 25 metres out. A good kick took the visitors to their line-out just inside the opposition 22. They set for a drive which went down; after 3 recycles but no advance they got a penalty. They kicked for a line-out 5 metres out at which they were penalised. Park kicked to touch 25 metres out then an error at the line-out gave Barnes a scrum put-in. They kept the ball in then released before a put-in for Park 18 metres out. Barnes pack pushed the opposition back but Park got the ball away and recycled twice to get a penalty that was kicked for a line-out just inside the other half. The visitors stole that and soon kicked; the Ref. went back to award a penalty plus 10 more metres. The kick took Barnes to their line-out 19 metres out and from there their pack drove to the line with flanker Sharp touching down not far from the posts after 8 minutes. Clarke added.

The visitors secure the restart and soon kicked ahead then forced park into touch 9 metres into the home team’s half. After the line-out Jones and Wickes made breaks then 3 recycles and an offload got Barnes the lead for the first time with a try wide out by one of their forwards just after 4 minutes from the previous try. The conversion was wide. Barnes secured the restart and kicked high; Park ran the ball then were penalised after one recycle. The kick took the visitors to their line-out 27 metres from Westcombe’s line. After their forward drive went down they were turned over and Park kicked up field. The visitors’ fullback Clarke set off on a brilliant run; the ball was moved wide at the opposition 22 by Wickes sending wing Wilde to the line at 17 minutes. The conversion was wide again.

Westcombe regained from their high restart and advanced strongly to get a put-in at the visitors’ 22. From the scrum Park recycled twice without advance before being penalised for not releasing. Barnes kicked for a line-out, but not far, then had that stolen. This was soon followed by another Westcombe scrum 14 metres into the opposition half. Barnes stole this against the head; 3 kicks followed then a 22 drop-out by Park that was kicked back by the visitors. Westcombe recycled 3 times before kicking again; the result of this was another put-in for them 5 metres inside their half. They released twice before getting a penalty and kicked this to touch 15 metres into the other half. From the line-out they advanced putting together 8 phases before being penalised for not releasing 19 metres out. The kick took the visitors to halfway then they kicked soon after the line-out. This was followed by another Westcombe scrum 18 metres inside their half. Under pressure once more they got the ball away and advanced at centre to another put-in at which they got a free-kick that they ran and got a penalty 9 metres into the other half. They ran this as well then recycled close 3 times then once wide before being turned over. The visitors kicked to touch at halfway. After recovering from an error, Park broke through out wide to get yet another put-in 29 metres from Barnes’ line. The visitors got a free-kick at this one before the ball was put in; they immediately kicked high. Westcombe ran the ball and put together 10 phases, breaking through twice for centre Davies scoring. This made the conversion not too difficult apart from being against the wind; it went just wide before the final whistle. A win by one point with the second half score 6 – 18 and the result not important to Barnes as survival in this league had already been guaranteed.

Rather windy (but varying), cool, bright, mostly overcast; the pitch firm

(the notepad for this report was mislaid in April after a third of the report had been transcribed and was not recovered until after Christmas)

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

East Grinstead
Tonbridge Juddian
Bury St Edmunds


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Hertford 25 63
9. CS Rugby 1863 26 60
10. Westcombe Park 26 55
11. Barnes 26 51
12. Basingstoke 26 43
13. Thurrock 25 15
14. Barking 22 4

Team sponsors


Club sponsors