Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Tonbridge Juddian
Sat 8 Feb TBC - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

An improved performance from Barnes

Tonbridge won by keeping Barnes out in the 1st 1/2 with very good defence then forced errors from Barnes in the 2nd.

The strong wind was mainly across the pitch and did not seem to give an advantage in either half. Almost all of the first 40 minutes were played in the visitors' half. Tonbridge secured the kick-off and recycled well immediately, making two advances with their forwards then a wider break to get a kickable penalty 20 metres out after only a minute and centre Makris kicked the points. Rain started; 5 minutes into the game it stopped. Barnes restarted and the visitors continued as before but were penalised for not releasing after getting into the other half. The penalty was kicked for a line-out 15 metres into the visitors' half and from the line-out Barnes soon kicked to touch at the far side 5 metres from Tonbridge's line. The line-out was thrown not-straight then from their scrum Barnes brought their backs into play and got their first penalty, kicked by fly-half Hupfield after 6 minutes.

The visitors regained at their restart then were turned over after recycling twice. Barnes kicked to touch well into the other half; Tonbridge recycled close after their line-out before kicking ahead. Barnes returned this to touch, still in the opposition half, and stole the following line-out. A good offload made them yards before a forward pass gave the defence the put-in at their 22. Their scrumhalf was caught behind the scrum and Barnes won a turnover and released to centre where a half-break was made before dropping the ball at the tackle. Tonbridge kicked ahead from the scrum; 3 more kicks followed, the last the best, before a line-out for the visitors 10 metres from their own line. Tonbridge tried an up-and-under then were penalised when it came down. Barnes kicked for a line-out 8 metres out then tried for a forward drive. The defence won a turnover then they were forced into touch 6 metres out. From this line-out Barnes' pack advanced to the line and this was followed by a five metre attacking scrum at the end of the first quarter.

The ball was kept in and the pack advanced but not to the line. After breaking off then getting to the line an error was forced by the defence giving them a 5 metre scrum. This was a turning point in the game with Barnes coming away with nothing after a period of strong attacking. Tonbridge cleared to touch outside of their 22; from the line-out Barnes varied their options before dropping the ball. Advantage was played; Tonbridge kicked and soon got a penalty for not releasing. They kicked for a long touch in the other half but didn't find it. Barnes kicked back then the visitors tried an up-and-under which got them the ball back. After releasing wide they put together a good sequence of phases; they went blind and made a clear break down the touchline. A good tackle stopped the runner but the ball was quickly recycled and wing McNamara got over at the corner at 26 minutes. The conversion went close but not over.

Tonbridge secured the restart and kept ball tight and advanced into the other half before being penalised for not releasing. Barnes kicked for a line-out just outside their opponents' 22. A knock-on in the line-out gave Tonbridge a scrum put-in from which they cleared to touch still in their own half. Not long after the line-out the visitors were penalised for a high tackle and Barnes again kicked for a line-out, this time 29 metres out. From it their pack rumbled to the 22 but the defence got the next put-in there. From the scrum Tonbridge threw the ball wide a couple of times before kicking ahead; Barnes cleared to touch near halfway. After this line-out the visitors advanced a bit before passing forward. Barnes kicked towards the corner from their scrum, resulting in a defensive scrum for Tonbridge 5 metres from their line. The visitors cleared to touch but not far then from their line-out Barnes recycled 3 times before kicking into the 22. This was easily marked by Tonbridge then cleared up field to touch. Barnes dropped the ball soon after the line-out giving the visitors a scrum for once in the other half. From this it was Barnes that came away with the ball and they went into the opposition half before being penalised then being sent 10 metres further back just before the half-time whistle with the score 3 - 8.

Barnes secured the long restart but an error immediately gave the visitors a scrum 18 metres out. After it Barnes were penalised and Tonbridge ran the penalty to get another 10 metres out that they kicked for a 5 metre line-out. The defence held to get a 5 metre scrum and broke blind from that before being turned over. Tonbridge recycled 3 times before being penalised then sent 10 metres further back. Barnes kicked for a line-out on halfway. The visitors stole the line-out and kicked to touch 6 metres out. Again Tonbridge stole the line-out and released to their backs to get a penalty 9 metres out in centre field after 6 minutes and Makris took the points. The visitors secured the restart and launched an up-and-under; Barnes replied with the same, resulting in their line-out near halfway. This was followed by their scrum but at that the visitors came way with the ball then chipped to touch and stole another line-out and soon kicked to touch. Barnes cleared to touch outside of their 22. Tonbridge set for a forward drive then recycled twice before being turned over. Barnes advance to 30 metres out then won a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 5 metres into the other half but was again stolen. Kicks were exchanged before a Barnes' scrum near halfway; from this they kicked to touch 15 metres from the visitors' line. Tonbridge kicked to touch but not far then stole the opposition line-out again. They sent ball wide then kicked and an error gave them a scrum 12 metres inside the other half. Barnes got a free-kick at that which they ran then kicked after recycling twice. Kicks were exchanged to the visitor’s advantage and resulting in their line-out 27 metres from Barnes' line. Soon after Barnes were penalised and Tonbridge kicked for a line-out 13 metres out. They kept the ball tight; the defence forced an error to get the next put-in just inside their 22. From this they went blind and launched an up-and-under; Tonbridge kicked then Barnes kicked out on the full giving the opposition a line-out 5 metres into Barnes' half. Soon after the line-out Barnes got the ball and got out of their half before Tonbridge got the next scrum. Barnes forced another turnover and recycled 5 times before winning a penalty. Their kick went dead giving the visitors a scrum back. They kicked ahead from that; Barnes recycled 4 times then Tonbridge hacked on a loose ball; Barnes recovered and kicked; two more kicks followed. Tonbridge got the ball wide with a forward pass that the Ref. was too far away from to see and they rounded the defence with fullback Davey coming in from wide out to touch down at the posts after 27 minutes. This against the recent run of play; Makris added.

The restart resulted in a visitors' scrum 16 metres into their half. Barnes' pressure at that got them their own put-in, then they got a penalty before the second put-in. They kicked for a line-out 6 metres out and when their drive was held they released wide and centre Jones went over at 32 minutes. Hupfield converted. Barnes did not catch the restart; a Tonbridge man got the ball and in no time wing Campion was over near the corner. The conversion was wide. The visitors secured the restart and replied with an up-and-under. Barnes got the ball wide then were turned over. Kicks were exchanged resulting in a Tonbridge line-out 26 metres from their own line. From this they recycled 4 times before kicking out on the full. From the last line-out at the opposition 22 Barnes released wide and recycled once before chipping through the line. The visitors recycled once before clearing to touch at the final whistle. Before the last try Barnes looked like finishing stronger then their opposition.

The pitch very soft, extremely windy, bright variably both blue sky and cloud.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Bury St Edmunds
East Grinstead


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Hertford 25 63
9. CS Rugby 1863 26 60
10. Westcombe Park 26 55
11. Barnes 26 51
12. Basingstoke 26 43
13. Thurrock 25 15
14. Barking 22 4

Team sponsors


Club sponsors