Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Barnes Rugby Football Club


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
D Wilde (2)
F Jones, J Hersey
Sat 25 Jan 15:00 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

A very competent performance from Bury, ...

... always creating lots of pressure and forcing Barnes’ errors.

After early errors from both teams Bury created lots of pressure in the first half-hour and twice scored good three-quarter tries after Barnes stopped attacks but were then unable to clear that pressure successfully. The visitors were 9 points behind at halftime. Not long after the second half restart Bury scored 3 more tries in 12 minutes to decide the match. Towards the end under a storm Barnes’ pack got 2 consolation tries.

The visitors kicked off and regained; 3 recycles got them a penalty at the opposition 10 metre line in centre field. Fullback Dan Wilde's kick hit a post and stayed out. Bury ran the ball in their 22 and soon got their first penalty taking them to a line-out still in their half which the opposition stole. Barnes varied their recycling and advanced until passing forward 27 metres out. From the scrum Bury put together an excellent set of phases mostly tight before kicking for territory. Two more kicks followed, the last very good, resulting in a line-out for the visitors just inside their 22. The line-out was thrown not-straight and Bury dropped the ball after their under-pressure scrum. Barnes hacked it deep into the other half then dealt with an opposition up-and-under. Four recycles got them a penalty just beyond halfway and they kicked for a line-out inside the 22. Bury stole the line-out and after making ground kicked out on the full, now 28 metres out. From this the visitors retained and recycled but were forced backwards to get another penalty 8 metres inside their opponents' half. The kick took them to 17 metres out and again a line-out was stolen. Bury launched an up-and-under and regained; they varied their recycling advancing with 5 phases before dropping. Advantage was played and Barnes kicked but not to touch and wing Garrard ran, kicked and regained to go over for the first try after 12 minutes. Fly-half Pask converted.

Bury secured the restart then were soon turned over. Barnes recovered from a chip bouncing off an opposition player then advanced strongly through 9 phases to get a penalty 17 metres into the opposition half in centre field and Wilde took the points after 15 minutes. The visitors secured the restart and kicked long to get their line-out 16 metres into the other half. They opted for wider ball and advanced recycling a couple of times before kicking through the line and Bury got back to touch down for a 22 drop-out. The visitors responded with an up-and-under; Bury dealt with that and kicked again before a Barnes' error gave them a scrum a few metres inside their own half. Barnes' scrumhalf Martin caught his opposite number to get his team a put-in from which after releasing to inside centre 2 tight recycles got the visitors a penalty 10 metres into Bury's half. A kick for the points was short; the visitors kept ball in hand at first after the long 22 drop-out then kicked towards the line for another long drop-out. Barnes tried an up-and-under; Bury recycled confidently 3 times then kicked ahead. Barnes ran the ball then kicked laterally and regained before being forced into touch just beyond halfway. Bury started a drive from the line-out and got a penalty. The touch-kick took them 20 metres but their line-out was stolen. The visitors launched a long up-and-under that the opposition dealt with and then scored. After 2 recycles, a break out wide then some closer recycling, wider ball was tried resulting in centre Cooke going through to the line holding off tacklers at 27 minutes; the conversion was wide.

Bury secured the restart, recycled 3 times before kicking. Three kicks followed then Bury took a quick line-out. There were 2 turnovers before a penalty against Barnes 28 metres out; the kick took the home team to their line-out 7 metres out. The ball was kept close then chipped through and regained before the defence got a penalty for not releasing just before the line. The visitors kicked to touch at the 22 and set for a drive from the line-out then they broke blind to set wing Wilde free to run to the other 22 where after two wider recycles and one close one in between Bury were penalised at the 22 in centre field. Wilde kicked the points after 33 minutes. Barnes returned the restart with an up-and-under; Bury sent the ball wide and recycled strongly, keeping the ball tight then Pask made a break to get a penalty in midfield 18 metres into the opposition half and he restored the points difference inside 3 minutes of the previous penalty kick. Bury secured the restart and advanced blind after recycling twice to get to the other 22 where the defence forced an error. Advantage was played; Barnes recycled 3 times before kicking long into the other half. Bury cleared to touch still deep in their half. From the line-out, the visitors attacked with a kick to the far wing and Ant Wilde made good ground. After 2 recycles Bury lost a man for 10 minutes and the kick for the posts missed before the half-time whistle.

Barnes secured the second half restart and regained their up-and-under. They retained through a few phases, had a kick charged down and recovered before Bury forced an error to get a scrum in their own half and they got a free-kick at that which they ran before soon dropping. Advantage was played; Barnes advanced then were penalised for not releasing. The kick took Bury to the opposition 10 metre line. From their line-out they retained and recycled strongly through 6 phases before trying an up-and-under that Barnes marked in the 22. However the Ref. went back to award a penalty to the attacking side outside of the 22. Bury chose to go for the points but the kick missed. Barnes' 22 drop-out went directly into touch giving the home team a scrum on the 22. From the scrum they got the ball away under pressure and Pask went 30 metres to the line then converted his try after 8 minutes. An error at the restart gave possession back to the visitors then they were soon turned over before being penalised and marched 10 metres further back. A very good kick took Bury to their line-out inside the opposition 22. Just after that the visitors lost a man for 10 minutes and Bury kicked for a line-out 6 metres out. The pack set for a drive then lock Grey broke off to go over at the corner at 12 minutes. Barnes were penalised soon after the restart and Bury confidently ran the ball then kicked ahead after recycling twice. Barnes dealt with this and kept possession for a while until being turned over. This was followed by a Bury put-in near halfway; from the scrum they advanced to force a penalty 30 metres out that led to a line-out 14 metres out. This time there was no drive but the ball was kept close and the forwards advanced to 2 metres out then flanker Davis got over near the posts after 18 minutes. Pask added.

Three kicks followed the restart, the last to the visitors' 22 then Barnes ran the ball before being forced into touch 27 metres from their own line. Hail started. From the line-out Bury advanced keeping ball tight; Barnes forced a turnover but passed into touch 10 metres out after recycling twice. Fortunately their pack stole the line-out and launched an up-and-under; Bury dealt with this and recycled 7 times before getting a penalty for a high tackle just outside the 22 in centre field. This at 24 minutes and Pask kicked their last points for a 31 point lead, after which his team perhaps relaxed. The visitors got a penalty following the restart; this was 26 metres out and they kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. Their pack drove over from that to get their first try with prop Matthews on the ball after 26 minutes of the second half. The conversion was wide. The visitors kicked back the restart; Bury ran the ball but were soon penalised. Barnes kicked for a line-out 20 metres into their opponents' half. From the line-out they recycled close 4 times before the defence forced an error to get a scrum 27 metres out. They advanced to an opposition scrum still 13 metres in the home team's half. From this the visitors advanced to get a penalty at the 22 with 2 recycles. This just after a serious rain, thunder and lightening storm had started making further note-taking impossible. Bury's report shows that after a series of scrums, a few minutes before the end, prop Johnson got over for a try. The conversion was too difficult.

Dry, overcast, but bright with the pitch not so wet after recent rain. The wind stronger at halftime then hail half way through the second half and a real storm at the end.

Book your OPRO mouth guard day!

Key moments

Conversion Dan Wilde kicks a conversion for Barnes
Conversion Dan Wilde kicks a conversion for Barnes
Penalty Fergus Jones kicks a penalty for Barnes
Penalty James Hersey kicks a penalty for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Bury St Edmunds
  • Barnes
  • 0
  • Dan Wilde Conversion 0:00'
  • Dan Wilde Conversion 0:00'
  • Fergus Jones Penalty 0:00'
  • James Hersey Penalty 0:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

East Grinstead
Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Hertford 25 63
9. CS Rugby 1863 26 60
10. Westcombe Park 26 55
11. Barnes 26 51
12. Basingstoke 26 43
13. Thurrock 25 15
14. Barking 22 4

Team sponsors


Club sponsors