Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Barnes Rugby Football Club


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

C Smyth (2), D Wilde, H Bevan (2)
J McIntyre (3)
Sat 7 Dec TBC - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

A win based on very good defence, and ...

- completed with a very good 2nd 1/2 performance

The visitors secured Barnes' kick-off but the pass from their first recycle bounced off the receiver’s shoulder or chest into Barnes' hands. Within a minute of the start flanker Smyth touched down not far from the posts and McIntyre converted. Barnes secured the restart and responded with an up-and-under and got the first scrum put-in in the other half. From that scrumhalf Fouracre chipped through to touch inside the opposition 22. After their line-out Basingstoke recycled well, advancing to get a penalty just inside their own half. They kicked to the corner but the fall didn't find touch and did go over the line giving Barnes a 22 drop-out. The visitors ran this back and got another penalty 10 metres ahead of the previous one. This time the kick got them a line-out 12 metres out. The ball was recycled from that 4 times before the defence got the 2nd scrum. Barnes kicked and the ball went into touch off an opposition player. After the line-out and another up-and-under an error gave Barnes possession again and they advance strongly to the opposition 22 then were penalised for not releasing. Basingstoke ran this and advanced out wide before they were penalised for the same offence. Barnes kicked for a line-out back at their opponents' 22 but had their line-out stolen. They were penalised soon after that and the visitors kicked for another line-out still in their own half. Barnes forced a turnover after a couple of recycles and kicked to touch back into the 22. Basingstoke cleared to touch after their line-out then after the line-out Barnes tried wide ball. After they recycled the ball close once they were penalised, yellow-carded and marched 20 metres back. This just before 15 minutes and Basingstoke kicked for a line-out just inside the opposition 22. The visitors advanced from that but the defence was very good and got a penalty at a ruck then another after kicking to touch and advancing with a rolling maul into the other half. They ran the second penalty and made a lot of ground before being penalised for crossing when a try looked almost certain at 18 minutes.

Basingstoke kicked for a line-out and after that and recycling 3 times they kicked again. Barnes kicked to touch and this time the visitors took a quick line-out and ran the ball. They looked dangerous for the first time and the defence was penalised at the next breakdown. The visitors ran this and centre Byett had a great run to the corner, scoring at 22 minutes; a very good conversion from fly-half Barnes followed. Basingstoke secured the restart and recycled confidently several times. An offload put fly-half Barnes through and the home team were soon back close to their own line. Eventually the defence was good and got a scrum 5 metres out but the feed wasn't straight giving the opposition a free-kick. The visitors ran this and were awarded an easily kickable penalty at 27 minutes and fly-half Barnes took the points for the lead. Basingstoke secured the restart; the opposition soon forced a turnover then had a kick charged down but recovered and kicked again. The visitors got the next put-in just outside their 22 and cleared to touch but still well inside their own half. From the line-out Barnes sent quick ball wide and fullback Wilde broke through and two passes sent Bevan to the line wide-out at the half-hour. A very good conversion from McIntyre followed.

The home team secured the restart, chipped over and regained and kicked again. Basingstoke kicked out on the full giving their opponents an attacking line-out 29 metres but then stole the line-out. They recycled without advancing then Barnes got their second yellow card. The visitors kicked for a line-out then had theirs stolen. Barnes kicked over and Basingstoke ran this back well to close to the opposition goal line. The defence won a turnover 5 metres out and cleared to touch just inside their 22. A penalty at the line-out sent Barnes back defending again with the visitors kicking for a line-out 6 metres out. Basingstoke recycled tight before being penalised for a man in front. Barnes cleared well to touch and from this line-out lock Crimmens made a break taking the team into the other half. The visitors got loose ball but soon passed forward. Barnes got a free-kick at the scrum and ran this until penalised for crossing again. Basingstoke kick to touch near halfway then threw their line-out not-straight. Next they took that scrum against the head before knocking-on. From the second scrum Barnes kicked to touch near the opposition 22 before the whistle.

The home team secured the second half restart and replied with an up-and-under; Basingstoke kept ball in hand to recycle 5 times before dropping. Advantage was played; three kicks followed then the visitors ran the ball again before kicking laterally and regaining then breaking through to get into the opposition 22 where they recycled wide before going to the line near the posts and fullback Kochanowski touched down at 2½ minutes. Barnes added for the lead to change hands for the third time. The restart was followed by a Basingstoke scrum at which the visitors were under pressure and was immediately followed by a Barnes' put-in. At this the ball was kept in while the home pack advanced to get a penalty at the opposition 22. McIntyre tried for the points but just missed. Barnes ran the 22 drop-out back and put together their best sequence of phases of the game with 12 recycles. Recycling tight near the line they got over but were held up then got a penalty at the subsequent 5 metre scrum and chose another. Again they got to the line but a third scrum followed. They were penalised at this one and the visitors kicked for a line-out just outside their 22. An error after that gave Barnes another scrum. Basingstoke got a penalty at the second ruck and kicked to touch in the other half but lost their line-out. Barnes soon passed forward then were penalised for wheeling the scrum. Again the visitors kicked to touch but not far then threw the line-out long and the opposition got the ball again. Barnes recycled 4 times before kicking into the 22 and over the line for a 22 drop-out. The home team kicked back; Basingstoke recycled 3 times before knocking on at halfway. Barnes kicked the ball out on the full after the put-in and from this line-out Basingstoke recycled 6 times before being penalised. Barnes' scrumhalf ran this then sent ball wide; fullback Wilde came into the line and cut inside with a man outside him to go to the line and retake the lead after 23 minutes. The conversion was just wide.

Barnes secured the restart and replied with an up-and-under; Basingstoke dealt with this and soon got a penalty that they ran and recycled well through 7 varied phases before passing forward. They got a free-kick at the scrum and their pack ran the ball then they were soon penalised. Barnes kicked for a line-out 8 metres into the other half then threw that not-straight. The visitors chose another line-out and they lost that. Barnes sent the ball wide and put together a good set of phases, advancing to get a put-in 18 metres out. Another good set of phases followed that scrum but it was matched by very good defence which got the next scrum defending 5 metres out. The Ref. gave a free-kick to Barnes at that scrum and Smyth was quickly over for his second after 33 minutes. McIntyre added. Barnes kicked back the restart to touch in the other half. Basingstoke kept ball in hand, close to their forwards and soon got a penalty on halfway which they ran wide and made good yards then chipped into their opponents' 22 and regained then recycled twice before being turned over. Barnes kicked long and chased well. The visitors got the last scrum put-in outside of their 22 but soon after they dropped the ball. Advantage was played and Barnes kicked into touch in the opposition 22. From the last line-out Basingstoke threw the ball about and Bevan for Barnes intercepted an offload and set off for the line to get his second. The conversion was wide before the whistle.

Dry, 100% overcast but bright, a little wind, the pitch a bit soft.

Book your OPRO mouth guard day!

Key moments

Try Ciaran Smyth scores for Barnes
Try Ciaran Smyth scores for Barnes
Try Dan Wilde scores for Barnes
Try Huw Bevan scores for Barnes
Try Huw Bevan scores for Barnes
Conversion James McIntyre kicks a conversion for Barnes
Conversion James McIntyre kicks a conversion for Barnes
Conversion James McIntyre kicks a conversion for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Basingstoke
  • 0
  • Ciaran Smyth Try 0:00'
  • Ciaran Smyth Try 0:00'
  • Dan Wilde Try 0:00'
  • Huw Bevan Try 0:00'
  • Huw Bevan Try 0:00'
  • James McIntyre Conversion 0:00'
  • James McIntyre Conversion 0:00'
  • James McIntyre Conversion 0:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Bury St Edmunds
East Grinstead
Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Hertford 25 63
9. CS Rugby 1863 26 60
10. Westcombe Park 26 55
11. Barnes 26 51
12. Basingstoke 26 43
13. Thurrock 25 15
14. Barking 22 4

Team sponsors


Club sponsors