Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

T Malaney, H Reeves (2), N Taylor
W Gower (3)
Sat 9 Mar 15:00 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

Just enough in another game against heavyweights


Highlight of the game : Flynn's try-saving high speed tackle

The visitors kicked-off, then secured Barnes' high kick and recycled several times before their opponents got the first scrum put-in well inside their own half. Three kicks followed the scrum then Westcliff recycled some more before kicking. Wing Bevan fielded this and beat two men; the ball was recycled a couple of times and Barnes got into the other half before an error gave Westcliff the second put-in and their first man down on the ground needing the physio. From this scrum their fly-half Jones looped around centre McKeith to create a break-through to the opposition 22. There Barnes forced a turnover but then kicked out on the full. Westcliff recycled a couple of times while being forced back and into touch. From this their pack drove 20 metres to the halfway line where scrumhalf Reeves broke close then the forwards made more yards before the ball was released wide and a pass behind the receiver went into touch. The line-out resulted in some chaos then a penalty against the visitors. Barnes kicked for a line-out 8 metres out and from there the pack fairly easily for flanker Malaney to claim the try after 9 minutes. Gower added.

Barnes broke into the other half from the restart then were penalised for not releasing. Westcliff's kick got them 15 metres into the opposition half. From that they released very swiftly and broke through at centre and in no time had got to 7 metres out where the ball was recycled. There was a near intercept and Barnes were penalised 5 metres out. McKeith kicked the points at 13 minutes. An error at the restart got Barnes the ball back then a scrum. The pack kept the ball in to drive to the 22 and get a penalty. This was kicked to touch 10 metres out but a knock-on in the line-out lost them an almost certain second try. After this scrum the visitors soon kicked; Barnes kept ball in hand until an error was forced. Again Westcliff kicked after the next scrum, then Barnes kicked and the visitors took the ball to 4 metres from halfway where Barnes got the scrum put-in. Again they kept the ball in the scrum advancing 8 metres to get another penalty and kicked for a line-out 9 metres out. The drive got to the line and Westcliff lost a flanker for 10 minutes. Barnes opted for a scrum and waked to the line where Reeves touched down wide-out at the start of the second quarter. A very good conversion from Gower followed.

Two kicks followed the restart resulting in another line-out for the home team in their half. Westcliff tapped the ball down but Barnes got it and after 2 recycles fly-half McIntyre chipped through. Westcliff got the ball momentarily then with it back Barnes chipped over to touch, but straight out. The visitors kept ball tight from the line-out to get a penalty and kicked for another line-out 10 metres into the other half. Again they got quick ball to centre and advanced with 3 recycles to get a penalty 28 metres out in centre field and McKeith was asked to kick the points after 25 minutes.

Westcliff cleared the restart to touch 8 metres inside their half. From the line-out Barnes' three-quarters combined well with centre Butler making yards then the forwards recycling until an error was forced by the defence about 10 metres out. Westcliff got the ball and then a penalty; a good touch kick took them not far from halfway. Barnes contained them to get the next line-out and from that recycled 3 times before being turned over. The visitors nearly got to halfway, recycling 5 times before being forced into error. Again Barnes kept the ball in the scrum and got a penalty plus 10 metres advance from the Ref. The kick took them to their line-out 11 metres out then the drive got to the line and the visitors lost the other flanker for 10 minutes. Barnes opted for a set scrum and Taylor touched down at 35 minutes. Barnes secured the long restart and set off to run; their fly-half slipped and, isolated, was dispossessed. In no time Westcliff were 5 metres out; soon Barnes were penalised and the visitors ran this; the defence forced an error and advantage was played and Barnes kicked high. A dummy from scrumhalf Whiting got Westcliff attacking again; they recycled 5 times before a rush from Butler stopped this. The visitors got the put-in and a free-kick at that. They ran the ball to get a penalty 13 metres out and McKeith made it 21 - 9 at the whistle.

Barnes secured their second half kick-off and advanced to the 22 before passing forward. Westcliff kicked out on the full then Barnes were forced back after the line-out. They then advanced recycling through 11 phases, mostly tight, before Reeves reached over to touch down wide out at 3 minutes. The conversion was wide. After the restart Barnes launched an up-and-under; Bevan caught the catcher and a turnover was won. But Barnes immediately lost possession and Westcliff recycled 8 times with a half-break towards the end of those then advanced further with 2 offloads to get a penalty 19 metres out and McKeith kicked the points at 6 minutes.

The visitors kicked back the restart then Barnes kicked out on the full. From their lineout, 27 metres out, they advanced another 10 metres with 4 recycles and an offload to get a put-in. From the scrum the forwards advanced before knocking-on 5 metres out. Barnes cleared to touch at their 22 then after the line-out the Ref. missed a forward pass before Westcliff recycled 9 times to get to 5 metres out where the attack broke down for accidentally offside. Barnes sent ball wide to the far side soon after the scrum and replacement wing Sagar skinned his opposite number then kicked over the last defender with the ball going into touch 16 metres into the other half. Westcliff kicked over after the line-out then got the next scrum at a Barnes' error. From that their rumblers kept ball tight to advance 10 metres before the defence forced an error to get a scrum. Barnes released to the far side then were forced into touch but Taylor stole the opposition line-out. Barnes tried an up-and-under after 2 tight recycles; Westcliff got the ball away but were turned over after 2 recycles. An error trying wide ball soon gave the visitors a defensive scrum put-in from which they made a good break then kicked to the opposition try-line. Barnes secured the ball 3 times before being turned over. Westcliff got ball wide and arced towards the far corner with wing Reynolds rounding the last man to touch down at 23 minutes. The conversion hit the near post and stayed out.

Barnes knocked on trying to get their restart then took the scrum against the head. They recycled 7 times before being intercepted and an offload sent W#11 racing away down the touchline with no one to stop him. Then, coming off the other wing and seeming to run 50% faster, Sagar tackled him into touch 13 metres out. From the line-out Barnes kicked then forced the opposition into touch, gaining 14 metres. They kept ball in a maul from the second line-out to advance into the other half then releasing to Bevan who made more yards before Westcliff got a put-in outside their 22. Barnes were penalised at that and the visitors ran the ball; they were forced into touch just inside the other half. Westcliff forced a turnover after 6 recycles; they launched an up-and-under then forced another turnover. This time they kept ball in hand before dropping; Barnes got the ball and kicked then were penalised 27 metres from their opponents' line. The visitors' kick didn't go into touch and Barnes kicked back; Westcliff got ball wide before dropping at their 10 metre line. Barnes advanced from the scrum then passed into touch 18 metres from the opposition line. Then they stole the line-out and got ball wide and advanced before being turned over. Westcliff recycled a few times before kicking; Bevan chipped over and nearly regained. The visitors tried an up-and-under; Barnes recycled tight 4 times before being turned over again. Westcliff got ball wide and advanced at the far side well into the other half. They recycled 4 times before dropping just outside the opposition 22. Barnes kept the ball tight after the scrum, recycled several times before kicking. Westcliff kept the ball in hand, recycling 5 times, to get a penalty 12 metres inside Barnes' half. McKeith's kick missed before the whistle.

Conditions: dry, overcast, the air damp and the pitch soft.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – February: Henley Hawks RFC

Key moments

Try Tom Malaney scores for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Hamish Reeves scores for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Nick Taylor scores for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Hamish Reeves scores for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Westcliff
  • 0
  • Tom Malaney Try 10:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 10:00'
  • Hamish Reeves Try 19:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 19:00'
  • Nick Taylor Try 35:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 35:00'
  • Hamish Reeves Try 48:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bishop's Stortford 26 106
2. Dorking 26 105
3. Westcombe Park 26 96
4. Barnes 26 93
5. Tonbridge Juddian 26 86
6. Old Elthamians 26 73
7. CS Rugby 1863 26 70

Team sponsors


Club sponsors