Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Barnes Rugby Football Club


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 5 Jan 14:15 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

Great support from Dorking see their team gain revenge for home loss

The visitors deserved their win. There was nothing between the sides in the first half. Early in the second Barnes took the lead ...

... and held it until 15 minutes from the end when two tries in 5 minutes from Dorking changed the game.

Dorking kicked off; the first penalty was awarded to Barnes in possession then the visitors stole the home team's first line-out. The second penalty went against Barnes defending but the visitors could not secure their line-out. Barnes' scrumhalf Reeves had a kick charged down but his team recovered the ball and got the put-in at the first scrum only for the opposition to come away from that with the ball. The third penalty was against the visitors attacking 10 metres out. Barnes advanced strongly from this and got another penalty outside the opposition 22. The defence was good and got the second scrum put-in. From that their scrumhalf Munford launched an up-and-under which they regained then fly-half Pimlow kicked for territory. Reeves had another kick charged down but this was again recovered before a poor pass gave the opposition the third scrum. Barnes took this against the head then were penalised for not releasing, having kept ball close. After kicking for a line-out Dorking caught their opponents' offside in midfield at the 22 and Munford kicked the points after 12 minutes.

After the restart Dorking regained another up-and under from Munford before the next put-in was awarded to Barnes. From the scrum Barnes put together some passes before being penalised for crossing. The visitors ran this; they didn't get far but did get the next scrum. From this they soon kicked; Barnes' centre Hersey had a run but slipped. There were some slaps preceding another Dorking scrum. This time their forwards kept the ball in and advanced a few metres to get a penalty still in their own half. After kicking for touch outside of the opposition 22 their pack drove well before this broke up whereupon they released to Tyler coming into the line but the defence was good and got the scrum put-in inside their 22. Barnes got a free-kick at that and cleared to touch into the other half. Several more kicks followed before Barnes strung together several phases halted by good defence from Dorking. The home team kicked over the line then got loose ball then a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 14 metres from the visitors' goal line. Dorking's forwards stole that and got their penalty straight after. Next Barnes stole the line-out and after they recycled twice Hersey broke the line but had no support and the defence forced a penalty for not releasing. The Ref. had a word with Barnes' captain.

Dorking's kick didn't find touch; Barnes ran the ball wide to get the next scrum and from that no. 8 went blind only get a yellow card for not releasing shortly before the half-hour. The penalty kick to touch took the visitors into the opposition 22. From the line-out Dorking kept ball close then released wide, again bringing Tyler into the line and he broke through then they recycled seven times before the Ref. went back to award a penalty 12 metres out. Now they opted for a scrum; this had to be reset and after their no.8 Watts was caught they got another put-in at the same place. Barnes wheeled this and were penalised; Munford missed a fairly easy kick at 34 minutes. After the 22 drop-out Barnes got the next penalty and the touch kick took them into the other half. From their line-out they sent ball wide and advanced with wings Riley and Wehbe then hooker Alteirac taking the ball on. Dorking forced a turnover in their 22 and got the next put-in. After the scrum was reset, Barnes were awarded a free-kick which they ran and got a penalty which Gower kicked to level the scores before the half time whistle that went a couple of minutes early.

Dorking's supporters would have thought that their team would have gone in disappointed as they had looked the more threatening in attack as well as being competent in defence but there was little between the sides in the first half.

Dorking tried another up-and under after Barnes' restart and the home team got the first scrum of the half. From it they put together several phases before kicking; Dorking kicked high and Barnes didn't deal with it but did get another put-in. From this they created a good attack and got into the opposition 22 where the defence got a line-out that they threw not-straight. Taylor kept the ball in the scrum to get a penalty 14 metres out and Gower kicked for the lead at 5 minutes. The visitors regained a fairly short restart and tight after a penalty 13 metres into their opponents' half. Munford's kick was just short. Dorking replied to the 22 drop-out with another up-and-under. Barnes caught this and recycled three times before sending a chip kick through the line. Now Dorking dealt with this easily and broke down the wing they recycled 12 metres out to get to 2 metres out then centre McDonald kicked wide. This created a one-on-one situation; a defender missed a high bouncing ball and Tyler got it for an simple first try inside 10 minutes. Munford added the conversion.

Dorking kicked back the restart; Williams-Davies made a half-break then after several close recycles lock Dumbleton broke through when the Ref. seemed to get in the way of a defender making a tackle. Dorking didn't play to the whistle; Barnes did. Dumbleton passed to prop Matthews who touched down within 2 minutes of the restart to regain the lead. Gower missed one he would have expected to get. Clearly there was a good measure of luck in the both these tries. After Barnes kicked back the restart they didn't deal with another up-and-under. Dorking got the ball and got into the opposition 22 where the defence got the put-in. Three kicks preceded a Dorking line-out that Barnes stole before passing forward. After the visitors' scrum Barnes counter-rucked to get a penalty that got them to their line-out at the opposition 22. The ball was kept in at first but when it was released they were penalised for not releasing. Barnes next stole the following line-out and advanced into the 22 before being forced into touch. Dorking kicked from the line-out then got the next put-in; they didn't advance from that and Barnes got the next one. From this Hersey and Riley made yards to get a penalty 26 metres out and Gower kicked the points for a 4 point lead at 24 minutes.

Barnes responded to the restart with an up-and-under that Dorking dealt with easily. Gower saved a try before the visitors got the next put-in 18 metres into their opponents' half. They advanced into the 22 then were forced into touch; a knock-on in the line-out gave Dorking a scrum from which they released wide to create a 2 on 1 for Tyler to easily get his second at the far corner before the half-hour and retake the lead. Munford's best added two more points. Within 4 minutes of the restart Tyler had his hat-trick; the restart gave Barnes a scrum in the opposition half and they advanced from it until the defence forced them into touch deep in Dorking's half. Another successful up-and-under was tried by
Dorking; Tyler ran to catch this in the air and kept on running from his own half to the corner. The conversion was wide but the visitors were now 2 scores ahead. Dorking kicked back the last restart; Barnes got ball wide and kicked to touch in the other half. The visitors got a penalty soon after the line-out and kicked for another which they threw not-straight. The home team now put together a very good sequence of phases, but only advancing about 25 metres, before chipping and regaining and getting the last penalty at their opponents' 10 metre line. They ran the penalty and made yards before good defence got Dorking the last scrum put-in outside of the 22. The whistle went at the next breakdown.

Dorking always seemed to be playing with the better tactics. Barnes’ defence held except when beaten by the bounce of the ball; when the visitors got the home team on the back foot in the last quarter and scored with ease from set piece; and lastly counter-attacking when regaining an up-and-under. In possession they often brought their fullback into attack while Barnes only used theirs to kick when they had the ball. The home team’s backs could break the line but lack of swift support meant they couldn’t get past the last defender.

Dry, overcast, not cold, a bit of wind, the pitch softish but looking like it needed a cricket roller.

Host Your OPRO Dental Visit!

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bishop's Stortford 26 106
2. Dorking 26 105
3. Westcombe Park 26 96
4. Barnes 26 93
5. Tonbridge Juddian 26 86
6. Old Elthamians 26 73
7. CS Rugby 1863 26 70

Team sponsors


Club sponsors