Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 15 Dec 14:15 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

Not quite right ...

Some try attributions in the following are incorrect, apologies to Hamish and Grant ...

The home team's kick-off wasn't dealt with but the ball seemed to be immediately in the hands of Barnes' fly-half Williams-Davies and he broke into the other half. Two errors resulted in a scrum to Staines then one to the visitors. They kept the ball in to get a penalty 28 metres out in centre field and Gower was asked to kick the points before 3 minutes. The restart was secured and given to Gower to punt into touch in the other half. The visitors stole the first line-out the scored their first try. Williams-Davies was involved in everything and since he has a long name he won't always be mentioned. After the line-out steal, captain Givens took the ball on and hooker Alteirac had two runs before wing Bevan touched down wide out. This score again took less than 3 minutes. Gower was injured during this and had to go off; had he stayed on his points tally would have been immense. G W-D took over the kicking but the conversion was wide. The second restart didn't go 10 metres. The visitors scored again from the scrum, without Staines touching the ball and again within 3 minutes. No. 8 Taylor fed Scrumhalf Reeves; wing Riley took it on then the forwards recycled it to centre Hersey who went to the posts. The conversion was good.

Again the restart didn't go 10 metres and again Barnes scored without letting go of the ball. It went through many hands; apart from the 5 recycles, 4 forwards had a run and 6 backs. Again it was Bevan touching down after receiving an inside pass from his no. 10 and he had been involved in the move earlier. This time it took a bit more than 3 minutes and the conversion was good. Lock Dumbleton had a run with the restart ball and replacement fullback Henry straightened the attack. The ball was dropped and hacked on by Staines then the visitors conceded their first penalty well into their 22. Staines kicked to touch for a 5-metre lineout. From that they tried to drive then recycled tight 5 times then once more wider to get another penalty 2 metres out and kicked again for a line-out. The visitors stole that, kicked for a line-out then stole that. Kicks were exchanged after this lineout then Taylor, Henry, Riley and Reeves had runs to get to 2 metres out with 4 recycles in between. Next the ball was recycled close and G W-D added 7 points at the posts. Lock Kelly for Barnes scored at the posts within 2 minutes of the restart after varied recycling; this at the end of the first quarter.

The next restart wasn't dealt with resulting in a scrum put-in for Staines. They released to centre Major but the next receiver was tackled into touch. A third error within a minute by the visitors gave Staines some possession before Barnes hacked ball into touch deep into the other half. From the line-out Staines tried and up-and-under; Riley and Hersey had runs then after 5 recycles mixed with those runs the home team forced a penalty for not releasing in their 22. They kicked to touch but Taylor came away with their line-out ball. A poor pass gave Staines a put-in. After it they recycled tight 4 times, recycled again then chipped over the ruck. Reeves ran off with the ball and got close then the ball was recycled to Riley, having come off his wing and he went over wide out. This try took 8 minutes; the conversion was wide. The next took 4; Taylor Reeves, Tiarks, Henry and Riley had runs in between the 6 recycles before a scrum 6 metres out; Barnes trundled and Taylor touched it down.

Barnes secured the restart and kept ball tight; there was some action without the ball and the Ref. missed a damaging punch thrown by one of Staines' forwards. The recipient needed to be replaced and later went to hospital. The outcome was a scrum to Barnes; their centres got them into the other half where they got a penalty and kicked for a line-out. They released wide but lost possession; advantage was played and Staines kicked ahead. Riley ran out of his 22 to halfway then Barnes advanced much further but this time the defence was good and got a throw-in 15 metres from their own line. From it they cleared to touch 10 metres further. From this line-out Reeves made a half-break then the forwards kept ball tight to get a penalty 7 metres out. Barnes opted for a scrum and Taylor kept the ball at his feet as the pack went to the line and he got his second. The conversion missed before the halftime whistle.

The second half restart resulted in a scrum for the home pack from which they kicked to touch into the other half. From the line-out Barnes' pack drove 20 metres back into the other half to get a penalty. This was kicked for a line-out at their opponents' 22. From that the pack set for a drive and got another penalty 12 metres out. After the next lineout, Staines defence got a put-in 8 metres out. They kicked high from behind that; the opposition dealt with it and recycled 6 times to get another penalty still in the opposition 22. Again after the line-out Staines' defence was good and won a penalty 6 metres out. After kicking for a line-out they recycled twice before an error was forced; advantage was placed and Reeves raced away to the corner 10 minutes into the half. Henry took over the kicking duties but was well wide. Within 2 minutes of the restart Reeves had another. Ball was secured by the forwards and got wide for a very good break; after that only one recycle was needed along with a handful of passes. Henry added. The next try took another 2 minutes; it was finished by centre Tiarks after having gone through many hands; starting with recycles to forwards standing out. The conversion was wide. The next was much less than 2 minutes, again through many hands, after a break by Reeves and finished by Bevan.

Taylor had a run after the restart and Barnes were soon well into the opposition 22 where a poor pass gave Staines a put-in. After the scrum was reset twice Barnes' pack stole it against the head and the ball was run wide for another try - but the Ref' spotted that a defender had been illegally prevented from getting to the ball carrier and awarded Staines a penalty. They kicked for a line-out and got another penalty soon after that. They ran this one and got another, now just inside the other half. They kicked for a line-out at their opponents' 22. Barnes' defence forced a turnover and broke out to get all the way back to Staines 22. Then Staines won a turnover and scrumhalf Wattridge ran 3/4 of the pitch before passing to flanker Hollier to touch down near the posts at 64 minutes. Lee added the conversion. The visitors knocked on trying to get their restart but their pack came away with the ball after pressurising the opposition scrum. The ball was sent wide and hooker Alteirac had the final run to touch down at 66 minutes. Reeves' conversion kick was wide.

The restart kick went directly into touch; Barnes released nearly flat and wide from the scrum but the Ref. said it was forward. The visitors forced a turnover after Staines kept the ball tight following their put-in. Barnes were quickly into the opposition 22 only to be penalised. The penalty was kicked to touch still in the home team's half then the line-out was stolen and Barnes advanced again out wide. The defence forced an error to get another scrum and from that their fullback Webber ran 3/4 of the pitch to score at 71 minutes. The conversion was wide. Staines secured the restart and chipped over; Barnes ran the ball to 12 metres from the goal line before being penalised. Another penalty for offside followed the line-out; the second kick didn't find touch and Barnes ran it to get another try with varied recycling, twice and finally to the blind side, wide out, with prop Foister touching down with 4 minutes to go. The visitors secured the restart; Millar made yards before a Barnes' scrum in the opposition half given when Staines knocked down a Barnes' pass. The last try came from that scrum. Hersey ran back towards the forwards, ball was recycled to centre then to a forward standing out then to the blind side with prop Remfry going to the corner. The last conversion attempt was wide before the whistle.

Bright, some breeze, the pitch soft, getting colder just before the start.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bishop's Stortford 26 106
2. Dorking 26 105
3. Westcombe Park 26 96
4. Barnes 26 93
5. Tonbridge Juddian 26 86
6. Old Elthamians 26 73
7. CS Rugby 1863 26 70

Team sponsors


Club sponsors