Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

F Jones, J Wehbe (2), T Henry
W Gower (5)
Penalty Try
Sat 3 Nov 14:15 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

Just enough in the 1st 1/2

Both teams played to their strengths; Westcliff with some heavyweight forwards kept ball mainly tight, Barnes wanted to get the ball to their wings.

The home team's very good half-backs orchestrated an 11 man game, a deft chip over for one of their wings being their prime alternative option.

In the first quarter Barnes developed a serious lead at 0 - 21. Later Westcliff scored before and after halftime to reduce that lead yet at the end of the third quarter the visitors’ lead was still 25 points. In the final quarter Westcliff added 24 with 5 points against. Indeed in the latter 55 minutes of the game the points were 34 - 17 in Westcliff's favour. This resulted in a 7 point game. While losing many games Westcliff have the most losing bonus points in the league and lost to Dorking away by only one more point than to Barnes. (This was the 4th time Barnes have had this ref. this season.)

The visitors kicked off with the wind and immediately regained and advanced into the opposition 22 to get the first scrum put-in. Westcliff's pack exerted pressure then after the scrum Barnes were penalised. The ball was kicked for a line-out which was stolen. The visitors' forwards kept ball tight and recycled well to get back into the 22 but the home team got the second scrum. From that Westcliff opted for an up-and-under which they regained; their forwards recycled twice to the blind side before being turned over. Barnes advanced to the 22 to another opposition put-in. McKeith at fly-half for Westcliff kicked for territory and Barnes ran this back then were soon turned over. The home team's pack recycled several times until they too were turned over. Now Barnes got quick ball wide then after two recycles their fly-half Williams-Davies was through the defence running 30 metres. Next the ref. ran to the posts to award a penalty try and rest a defender for 10 minutes. This at 6½ minutes then Gower kicked the extras. Barnes kicked the restart and Westcliff kept ball in hand, mostly tight, before losing possession. Wehbe on the wing for the visitors broke though to get a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 13 metres from the opposition line. The ball was thrown long and blown into opposition hands; there was some chaos resulting in the ball being touched down behind the goal line and a defending 5-metre scrum. Westcliff kicked up field; Barnes ran it back well into the 22 before passing forward. After this scrum Westcliff cleared to touch just outside their 22. From the line-out the visitors varied their recycling to put Wehbe through the wide defence and run into the posts before 14 minutes. Gower added.

The visitors secured the restart and got ball wide and with ball in hand quickly got their next attack going with Wehbe prominent, finishing with a chip towards the line and getting their first put-in at a scrum 10 metres out. They sent ball wide for wing Riley to touch down after 17 minutes. Gower added. The visitors kicked back the restart; this resulted in their line-out in the other half. Westcliff forced a turnover and after one recycle scrumhalf Parmenter kicked over the defence. This was regained and taken on then their forwards recycled close to the opposition line 3 times before Parmenter nipped around a ruck to score near the posts at the start of the second quarter. McKeith's kick hit the bar and stayed out. Barnes knocked on at the take after the restart giving Westcliff a scrum from which they got to halfway where the visitors got their second put-in. After it they kept the ball close then released it to outside centre Jones broke through and fed Wehbe for his second not far from the posts within 4 minutes of the opposition try. Gower added. Westcliff regained their high restart then recycled 6 times without advancing before getting a penalty which their pack ran. They recycled several times advancing to 8 metres out where they got a second penalty. This time they opted for a set scrum and after it recycled tight 5 times close to Barnes' line then Parmenter made a break and fed flanker Marsh. This less than 5 minutes since the previous try then McKeith's conversion hit a post and stayed out.

Now Barnes regained a restart and their no. 9 Henry made a break resulting in a penalty against Westcliff out side of the 22. This was kicked for a line-out 6 metres out. From that the pack set for a drive and got another penalty when it went down. Henry ran this but couldn't touch down and the opposition got a 5-metre put-in from which they cleared to touch. The visitors sent ball wide from the line-out and advanced well to another penalty 10 metres out. The ball was kicked dead instead of into touch giving the opposition a 22 drop-out. This was kicked high; Barnes dealt with it and the opposition were penalised soon after. The kick took them to their line-out 5 metres out but they dropped the ball in the line-out. From their scrum Westcliff kept ball tight many times without advancing then kicked. They forced a turnover then kicked again to get a scrum put-in at their 10 metre line. From this they kept ball tight and got another penalty, not having advanced. They ran this but didn't get far before the halftime whistle.

Westcliff started the second half with a longer kick and regained at the take; they recycled tight 4 times from just outside the 22; a breakthrough was made then they recycled twice 5 metres out to get a penalty at the same place. They immediately ran it and McKeith touched down after little more than a minute of the half. His kick hit a post again and stayed out. Barnes regained their restart and advanced to the opposition 22; two turnovers followed. Barnes' centre Jones made a break but Westcliff got the next scrum at their 22. Here they were under pressure and they only cleared to touch just outside their 22. Barnes threw the line-out not-straight then got a penalty at the subsequent scrum. They kicked for a 5-metre line-out then their pack set for a drive to the line. When this went down fly-half Williams-Davies signalled his intent to chip through the line and Riley chased this to touch down near the posts at 7 minutes. Gower added.

The visitors secured the restart and kicked up field; Westcliff chipped through the line and got a penalty at the opposition 22. They kicked this dead as Barnes had done earlier. The 22 drop-out was long and Westcliff got a scrum at the breakdown just inside the opposition half. Pressure at the put-in got Barnes a penalty; this was kicked for a line-out but not far. From this they varied their recycling 5 times to put hooker Alteirac through. At the breakdown, 5 metres out, Barnes were penalised; a good kick took Westcliff to their line-out at their 10 metre line. They kicked after the line-out; Barnes fielded this then chipped through and forced a turnover. They got ball wide but were penalised again. Westcliff ran this then were turned over again. Wehbe made yards, Williams-Davies made a break after 2 recycles then after 2 more recycles Westcliff were penalised 18 metres from their own line. They kicked for a closer line-out and from that tried the blind side then passed forward giving their opponents a put-in 13 metres out. Henry hassled Parmenter at the base and got the ball and crossed to touch down fairly wide out at 18 minutes. Now Gower's conversion hit a post and stayed out.

Barnes secured the restart, recycled twice before kicking high. Westcliff ran the ball back, immediately made a breakthrough then after 2 recycles kicked over for wing Dudman to run onto and touchdown at the corner. This 2½ minutes after the preceding try. Amazingly now McKeith converted with this much more difficult kick. Westcliff secured the restart and after 3 varied recycles kept ball tight and advanced through 10 more phases to get to 10 metres from their opponents' line and their scrum. From that they soon sent ball wide for their other wing Reynolds to score near the corner before 25 minutes. McKeith was good again. The visitors restarted with a high kick that the opposition didn't deal with. Barnes flanker Smyth made a break, no. 8 Taylor took it on and soon Jones was over in the corner hardly 2 minutes after the try before. The conversion was wide. The visitors got a scrum at their 22 just after the restart. Despite scrum pressure they ran the ball out of their 22 but soon dropped it; it was snapped up and in no time Parmenter got to the line near the posts for his second. This inside 3 minutes of the last and Mckeith added. Westcliff secured the restart and soon tried an up-and-under; Barnes dealt with this then recycled twice before their opponents got the next scrum 20 metres into Barnes' half. The visitors were penalised at the base of the scrum and McKeith kicked the points before 32 minutes. Barnes regained their restart and recycled well then got their put-in 15 metres inside the opposition half. They retained but were forced backwards before getting a penalty. This was kicked for a line-out 17 metres into the opposition half. From this they advanced keeping ball tight but were penalised 17 metres out. The long kick didn't find touch and Barnes got the next scrum in their own half. From that they got ball wide to advance and get a penalty in the other half. They kicked this for a line-out just outside the opposition 22. They were penalised at the line-out. Westcliff kicked for a line-out and Barnes stole that before the final whistle.

Bright, dry, not cold, windy along the pitch (this did not affect the game much) which was slightly soft.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Hide the Attacker

Key moments

Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Jonny Wehbe scores for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Jonny Wehbe scores for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Conversion Warren Gower kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Fergus Jones scores for Barnes
Try Toby Henry scores for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Westcliff
  • Barnes
  • 0
  • Penalty Try 8:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 9:00'
  • Jonny Wehbe Try 15:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 16:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 26:00'
  • Jonny Wehbe Try 35:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 36:00'
  • Warren Gower Conversion 51:00'
  • Fergus Jones Try 60:00'
  • Toby Henry Try 70:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bishop's Stortford 26 106
2. Dorking 26 105
3. Westcombe Park 26 96
4. Barnes 26 93
5. Tonbridge Juddian 26 86
6. Old Elthamians 26 73
7. CS Rugby 1863 26 70

Team sponsors


Club sponsors