Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

E Alterac, F Jones, J Strong (2), J Wehbe
G Williams-Davies, J Wehbe
J Wehbe
Sat 15 Sep 15:00 - SSE RFU National League - SSE National League 3 London & SE Full time

Best of Three

An exciting contest with a talented Dorking team forcing the best performance so far from Barnes. Five tries to 2 and 3 kicks each with Barnes scoring 7 more points than Dorking in each half.

Barnes kicked off with the advantage of the slope in the first half and winning an early penalty. The wind took the long range goal-kick wide. The visitors stayed in the opposition half and kicked the second penalty for a line-out which their opponents stole. Dorking recycled well to get their first penalty which was kicked to get them a line-out in the other half. From that they attacked well with more good recycling and got close to Barnes' line before the defence forced an error. The visitors' inside centre, Lewis, ran down to halfway where Dorking got the second scrum of the match. From which they kicked out on the full; Barnes' fullback Wehbe had his first run then Dorking forced a turnover and swung the ball wide twice to get a penalty on halfway. They kicked for a line-out and from that again tried wide ball. After a couple of recycles they were intercepted by the opposition hooker, Alteirac, who had a good run himself before sending wing Strong to the corner after 12 minutes. The difficult conversion was wide. The visitors secured the restart and after two chips-through were exchanged they were soon back attacking into the other half and on. The ball was passed through many hands before a penalty was won just outside the 22 in centre field. The goal kick again went wide. Running back the 22 drop-out, Barnes' three-quarters stretched the defence before being turned over back at the 22. Dorking got up to halfway for an opposition scrum after which Barnes were penalised for not releasing. The kick took the home pack to a line-out just outside their opponents' 22. Straight after this Barnes were penalised 28 metres out in centre field and Munford took the points at the end of the first quarter. Dorking secured the restart and kicked out on the full; this was redeemed by stealing the line-out. They kicked ahead and Barnes started a very good attack from fullback through several hands ending when forced into touch 14 metres from Dorking's line. From the line-out Munford tried an up-and-under. Barnes sent the ball wide and away went Strong before sending Wehbe to the corner on 25 minutes.

The visitors kicked the restart back over the opposition and Dorking cleared to touch still in their own half. The ball was quickly released to centre from the line-out and after one recycle Wehbe broke the line and got away an offload. Through more hands then Alteirac was put clear to the posts at 28 minutes. Dorking were penalised soon after the restart; Barnes kicked for a line-out then had that stolen. With Barnes on the back foot, they started an excellent break-out, running half the pitch, into the opposition 22 where they recycled quickly through several hands for Prop Knights to touch down near the posts just after the half-hour and Munford added. Dorking secured the restart and kept ball tight to get a penalty at their 10 metre line. They kicked for a line-out. At first they recycled well without advancing then got another line-out. From this second one, only 8 metres into Barnes' half, they varied their recycling to send centre Muller to the line, after some very good handling, not far from the posts at 35 minutes. Munford missed one that he shouldn't have. The visitors regained their restart and got ball wide then passed into touch. Dorking kicked out on the full for the third time. Barnes' pack set for a drive from 29 metres out and when this went down their backs recycled through a few phases; both Wehbe and Williams-Davies wrong-footed the defence before it was finally opened up for Strong to get his second. The wind drifted the conversion wide before the half-time whistle, making the score 15 - 22.

Barnes secured the second half restart and launched an up-and-under; Dorking dealt with this and varied a few recycles before chipping through the line. Barnes kicked to touch into the other half then stole their first line-out. Three recycles then an inside pass put outside centre Jones through a hole and he sprinted for the corner to touch down just after 2 minutes. An excellent conversion from Wehbe followed. The visitors secured the restart and scrumhalf Reeves raced through the line. A pass was judged forward and from the scrum Dorking kicked well into the other half. From their line-out Barnes worked their way into the other half before being turned over. A Barnes' scrum followed immediately and from that the visitors kicked into the 22 where the catch was marked. Dorking cleared to touch then got the next scrum put-in after Barnes had thrown the ball about. The home team now advanced strongly with good varied recycling to get a penalty 16 metres out in centre field. They chose a scrum and after that settled tried a chip to the line which Barnes just got to touch down for a 22 drop-out. Barnes were penalised again soon after that and Munford took the 3 points after 12 minutes.

Dorking kicked back the restart and after recycling once Barnes' Jones got clear away through the line and had to score but ref. said there had been crossing. Dorking recycled well without advancing; they got another scrum but pressure forced an error for Barnes to get a put-in. From that they kicked for territory to a line-out inside the opposition 22. From the line-out Munford tried an up-and-under from which the visitors got another scrum. They were prevented from advancing then were penalised for not releasing. Dorking ran this, got ball wide then chipped through and regained to get a line-out on the opposition 22. They kept ball tight after the line-out but did not get the next put-in. At the scrum Barnes were awarded a free-kick which they ran before kicking long; Dorking kicked it back and got the next scrum after an unforced error from the opposition. They got into the other half where Barnes got the next line-out then Dorking stole that and got another scrum. Barnes wheeled that and the next and got the ball at the second one. Kicks were exchanged; tiredness caused some chaos then an incident started a small fight and the ref. had to get cards out of his pocket. This with 12 minutes to go.

Barnes were awarded the penalty and kicked for a line-out into the other half. Again they had this stolen enabling Dorking to get out of their half but only to another opposition scrum. The visitors got a free kick at that; they ran this to get another put-in and from that kept ball in hand through several phases switching direction to send Reeves to the line where he was held up. The 5 metre scrum resulted in a Barnes' penalty and Wehbe took the points with 6 minutes to go. The restart resulted in a Barnes' line-out. The visitors kicked for territory; Dorking ran the ball, were turned over then got the next put-in in Barnes' half. They got the penalty at the scrum, kicked for a line-out then got another penalty inside the opposition 22. Again this was put into touch for a forward drive from 9 metres out. Another penalty followed with the loss of a man for a couple of minutes. Again this was kicked for a line-out, now 5 metres out. This time there was no forward drive and the ball was sent wider. Barnes forced a turnover then had a kick charged down. Dorking got the ball then an uncontested scrum 18 metres from their opponents' line; they released wide then were forced into touch at the whistle.

Dry, bright, blue sky, quite windy but across the pitch; short grass.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Crab Football

Key moments

Try Ed Alterac scores for Barnes
Try Fergus Jones scores for Barnes
Try James Strong scores for Barnes
Try James Strong scores for Barnes
Try Jonny Wehbe scores for Barnes
Conversion Gareth Williams-Davies kicks a conversion for Barnes
Conversion Jonny Wehbe kicks a conversion for Barnes
Penalty Jonny Wehbe kicks a penalty for Barnes
Replay game

As it happened

  • Dorking
  • Barnes
  • 0
  • Ed Alterac Try 0:00'
  • Fergus Jones Try 0:00'
  • James Strong Try 0:00'
  • James Strong Try 0:00'
  • Jonny Wehbe Try 0:00'
  • Gareth Williams-Davies Conversion 0:00'
  • Jonny Wehbe Conversion 0:00'
  • Jonny Wehbe Penalty 0:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other SSE National League 3 London & SE results

Tonbridge Juddian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bishop's Stortford 26 106
2. Dorking 26 105
3. Westcombe Park 26 96
4. Barnes 26 93
5. Tonbridge Juddian 26 86
6. Old Elthamians 26 73
7. CS Rugby 1863 26 70

Team sponsors


Club sponsors