Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Dings Crusaders
G Head, R Martey
J Hammett (2)
J Hammett (2)
Sat 16 Feb 14:30 - RFU National - National 2 South Full time

A win by the defence and kicked goals …


- with the visitors looking more dangerous in attack.


Barnes held out a good Dings' attack that got to 5 metres out in the early minutes. Dings continued to attack until against the run of play turnovers led to the first try for Barnes. The visitors responded immediately and a penalty led to an unconverted try. Just before the end of the first half Barnes prevented a try at their goal line. Early in the second half a tackle by Barnes’ fly-half dislodged opposition possession and wing Martey, off his wing and looking for work, snatched it and ran from the 22 to the posts. Before and after the 4th quarter Dings’ dangerous backs scored two very good tries to take the lead for the first time. Barnes responded well and kicked two close range penalties


The visitors kicked off to the 22 then Barnes soon used an up-and-under; Dings got the ball from that and recycled 3 times before breaking through. They recycled wide and advanced strongly before the defence forced an error to get the first scrum put-in 5 metres out. Barnes' pack were pushed back a bit and Dings hooked the ball and got it out then were penalised 6 metres out. Barnes kicked for a line-out near their 22 and after it had a kick charged down; they recovered and soon used a second up-and-under. This resulted in a Dings' scrum 11 metres into their opponents' half. The visitors were forced back recovering from errors to another scrum 4 metres inside their half at which Barnes were penalised. The kick took Dings to their line-out 29 metres out. From that they first kept the ball in then soon released to break through at centre. Then they put together 5 phases before being forced into touch 12 metres out. Barnes soon used another up-and-under after the line-out; Dings got the ball and ran wide, advancing well before being turned over. Dings claimed another opposition up-and-under and had the ball for 3 close phases before being turned over again. Barnes quickly moved the ball and after getting it wide twice more their hooker Head ran close to touch from the 22 to the line and came in to touch down nearer to the posts at 13 minutes. Fly-half Hammett added.

The restart resulted in a put-in for the home team 11 metres into their half. Dings' scrum pressure produced Barnes' error that gave the visitors a penalty for them 4 metres ahead. The kick took them to 7 metres out and from the line-out their pack started a drive then after a break off hooker Anderson got over and touched down wide out after 16 minutes. The conversion was wide.

Most of the rest of the first half was uneventful apart from a couple of dangerous runs from the visitors' wing Tovey and there was little continuity. Towards the end, from a scrum at their 10 metre line Dings kept the ball close for 6 phases making 9 metres before getting a penalty that they kicked for a line-out 28 metres out. Following that and releasing to centre, 2 recycles created space for another run from Tovey. He chipped towards the line and almost got the ball but the result was a scrum for the defence and the ball was kicked out after it for the whistle.

Dings secured the second half restart and cleared well to touch almost to halfway. They got the ball from the line-out and soon released to centre. A tackle from Barnes' fly-half in midfield made the ball available and wing Martey looking for work was behind him and he picked up to run to the posts inside 2 minutes. Hammett added.

The next 15 minutes play were not particularly significant then a Dings' penalty 1 metre past halfway was kicked for a line-out 26 metres out. From that and two recycles they broke through at centre and one more recycle sent wing Trinham to the line half way out before the end of the third quarter. The conversion missed.

Soon after the restart Barnes were penalised and the visitors kicked for a line-out 8 metres into the other half. Their pack kept the ball in to get another penalty 2 metres ahead and kicked for another line-out 19 metres out. Their pack kept the ball in but were soon turned over; Barnes used an up-and-under that Dings claimed. The visitors then recycled close 3 times then went wide and broke through and a pass sent fullback Grattan (according to Dings' web site) or Trinham again (according to the end of game match sheet) to the corner at 25 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The visitors returned the restart with an up-and-under; Barnes got the ball and then put together their best set of phases of the game, recycling 13 times before passing into touch. The Ref. went back to award a penalty 5 metres out in front of the posts at 27 minutes and Hammett was asked to kick the points and regain the lead.

An error just after the restart gave possession back to Dings and they recycled advanced twice having recycled 10 times then kicked ahead. Barnes dealt with that and recycled once blind then again wide before kicking towards touch. It went in off an opposition player giving the home team the line-out at halfway. Just after it they recovered from an error then soon kicked into their opponents' 22. Dings ran the ball back but were penalised at the next breakdown at their 22 not far from the posts and Hammett kicked for the last score at 33 minutes.

Barnes used and regained a near-vertical up-and-under after the restart then kicked for territory. Dings ran back and a player broke through two tackles. After 4 close recycles they were penalised at a breakdown at the opposition 10 metre line. The kick gained 20 metres then Barnes again recovered from an error just after the line-out. Next they recycled 7 times, almost all close then recovered from another error and recycled close 5 more times to get another penalty. This was reversed by the Ref. for an inappropriate communication. Dings kicked for a line-out just past halfway. After it they were forced into touch 6 metres ahead and following the last line-out Barnes kicked out for the whistle.

Dry, overcast, not cold to start with then cooler later; the pitch a bit soft.

Key moments

Try George Head scores for Barnes
Conversion Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Robbie Martey scores for Barnes
Conversion Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
Penalty Josh Hammett kicks a penalty for Barnes
Penalty Josh Hammett kicks a penalty for Barnes


View 0 new events
70:00 Penalty 20 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a penalty for Barnes
55:00 Penalty 17 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a penalty for Barnes
46:00 Conversion 14 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
45:00 Try 12 - 0
Robbie Martey scores for Barnes
End of period 1
20:00 Conversion 7 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
19:04 Try 5 - 0
George Head scores for Barnes
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Dings Crusaders
  • 0
  • George Head Try 19:04'
  • Josh Hammett Conversion 20:00'
  • Robbie Martey Try 45:00'
  • Josh Hammett Conversion 46:00'
  • Josh Hammett Penalty 55:00'
  • Josh Hammett Penalty 70:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National 2 South results

Tonbridge Juddians
Old Albanian
Worthing Raiders


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
9. Worthing Raiders 30 68
10. Old Albanian 30 66
11. Barnes 30 66
12. Old Redcliffians 30 60
13. Dings Crusaders 30 56
14. Birmingham & Solihull 30 50
15. Guernsey 30 49

Team sponsors


Club sponsors