Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Bury St. Edmunds
T McArthur, D Butler, M Steele
J Hammett (3)
J Hammett
Sat 12 Jan 14:30 - RFU National - National 2 South Full time

Last minute score earns draw


Fightback from 14 points down with 10 minutes to go against a skillful Bury


Barnes kicked off against the strong wind and soon set up the first attack; a line-out blown not straight started a Bury break out that quickly led to their first very good try. Their second, again very good, followed after 15 minutes. The visitors stopped a close attack by Barnes then a driving maul from 18 metres out following a penalty got them their first 7 points in the second quarter. After the half hour Barnes held out a good Bury attack then in the last minutes of the half 3 penalties in succession led to a kick to reduce the deficit to 2 points. With the wind in the second half many thought that Barnes should win the game.

Another very good try from Bury was scored after 8 minutes of the 2nd half. An attack by each team got close but was stopped. Barnes' backs attacking, perhaps trying too hard, passed into touch 3 times. After 20 minutes with no points scored another very good attack by the visitors resulted in a big second row running clear to the line, resulting in a 14 point lead for his team. A few minutes later Barnes' old warhorse at inside centre broke through to halve that lead. Just before the whistle a drive from a line-out secured a draw for the home team.


The visitors had the advantage of the strong wind in the first half. The home team's high and not long kick-off resulted in a scrum for the opposition 16 metres inside their half. Bury advanced at centre to another scrum, this time against them, a metre past halfway. From that Barnes kicked towards touch and their opponents cleared to touch 9 metres inside their half. Barnes released to centre from the line-out and two advances with one pass in between took them to 15 metres out where they were turned over. Bury cleared to touch and Barnes threw a quick line-out; after advancing again and recycling close 4 times they were awarded the first penalty, again 15 metres out. They kicked for a line-out and that thrown long was blown not-straight by the wind. Following a no.8 pick-up from their scrum and one pass they kicked long into the other half. They got to the ball first at the opposition 22 and recycled wide then one pass sent hooker Torpey to the line half way out at 6 minutes. An excellent try and their fullback Johnson added.

Bury replied to the high restart with an up-and-under; two more kicks followed to the visitors' advantage. Barnes ran the ball from their 22 then after two recycles a nearly vertical up-and-under resulted in a penalty for Bury 17 metres into Barnes' half. The kick took them to 9 metres out; they kept the ball in a drive at first. After this crabbed sideways they broke blind then some very good passes preceded 5 close recycles. The next recycle was wide and they advanced well until losing possession near the line. From their 5 metre scrum Barnes moved up field close to that then used an up-and-under that resulted in a scrum for the visitors 25 metres out. Following that Bury put together 13 mostly close phases, going wide twice, the second one sending wing Bodkin over wide out before 16 minutes.

The visitors secured the restart and soon kicked for territory; Barnes’ fullback chipped over; they regained then were awarded a penalty that they quickly ran to get another 18 metres into the visitors' half. They kicked for a line-out 16 metres out after which they recovered from an error then recycled close twice to get a penalty at the 22. They kicked for another line-out 9 metres out. Their attempted drive went down then they recycled close 5 times before being turned over 5 metres out. Bury cleared to touch 19 metres out; the line-out soon resulted in their scrum 14 metres out. Again they cleared to touch, this time to halfway; from the line-out Barnes had the ball for 6 phases before kicking out on the full 3 metres back. Bury lost possession soon after the next line-out and Barnes got the ball and made some ground with 4 phases to get a penalty 4 metres past halfway. They kicked for a line-out 18 metres out and from there their pack started a drive to the line. After being partially disrupted they got going again and got to the line wide out after 26 minutes with prop McArthur on the ball. A good conversion from fly-half Hammett followed.

Barnes secured the restart and kept possession; they ran the ball wider a couple of times among 12 phases before using an up-and-under. Bury got the ball from that and kicked long towards the opposition line. Barnes ran back then an error soon gave Bury a scrum 27 metres from the home team's line. From that they advanced with 5 close phases to get a penalty 13 metres out which they ran to the line. No try but they got a 5 metre scrum. They got to the line again from that but an error gave the defence a 5 metre put-in.

Barnes from that made some ground with 6 close phases before clearing to touch 19 metres out. From the line-out the visitors' forwards advanced with 4 close phases before the defence forced an error 12 metres out. From the scrum Barnes broke out past their 22 with 3 phases to get a penalty. The kick took them to 2 metres past halfway where they only just secured their line-out. Five mostly close recycles got them another penalty 6 metres ahead and they ran this one. Near the 22 and into it the used wider ball several times; 8 phases in all got them a third penalty and a man advantage for 10 minutes and with little time left on the clock chose to kick the 3 points from centre field before the whistle.


The second half began with Barnes securing the restart and making good ground out wide. Two turnovers followed then Barnes chipped into the opposition 22. Bury replied with an up-and-under that resulted in their scrum put-in 20 metres inside their half. From that they advanced with 4 mixed phases before being turned over. Barnes then had the ball for 8 mixed phases before Bury forced an error and got the ball back. Kicks were exchanged then the visitors made good ground with 7 phases going wider to get a penalty 12 metres into the opposition half. The kick took them into the 22 and their pack advanced a bit from the line-out then they recycled close 4 times before fly-half Ritchie chipped through the defence. Bury regained and recycled once close and once wide to send wing Sharp over at the corner after 8 minutes. Another very good try; the conversion was wide.

They secured the high restart and put together a very good sequence of 8 mixed phases, close early then wider, for another attack that took them well into the other half before a forward pass and being sent back 10 metres by the Ref. for dissent. The kick took Barnes to their line-out at the opposition 10 metre line-out. That was stolen but resulted in a put-in for Barnes there and a penalty in the scrum. The next kick took them to 16 metres out from where their pack advanced loosely to 6 metres out where they were penalised. Bury kicked to 24 metres out and their line-out resulted in another scrum for Barnes. From that they went wide then passed into touch 26 metres out; they stole the line-out. After having the ball for 3 phases they were turned over; the visitors recycled a couple of times then won a penalty 25 metres from their line. They kicked for a line-out at their 10 metre line and from that released to centre; this was followed by their scrum 15 metres inside their half. From that they advanced well with just 3 phases to their line-out 12 metres past halfway. Awarded a free kick at that they chose to have a scrum that resulted in a penalty for them which they kicked to just inside their opponents' 22. A drive was started from the line-out; an error was forced by the defence who got the ball and kicked for territory. Bury ran back then were soon turned over; Barnes had the ball for a dozen mixed phases before passing into touch for second time. This 12 metres into the visitors' half and from the line-out they kept the ball for 7 close phases before using an up-and-under. Barnes got the ball and recycled twice before passing forward into touch 3 metres inside their half. From their scrum Bury went wide then recycled close to break through; one pass sent lock Scholes to the posts at the half hour. Another very good try; Johnson added for a 14 point lead.

The restart didn't go 10 metres but the visitors got the ball and play continued. They had the ball for 7 mostly close phases moving towards halfway near where they were penalised. The kick took Barnes to 15 metres out and their drive from the line-out went down. They recycled close twice then a bit wider to inside centre Butler who broke through to the posts before 35 minutes. Hammett added.

The visitors restarted to the 22; Barnes kicked back long and Bury cleared to touch at halfway. From the line-out Barnes kept the ball in at first then were forced into touch a bit more than 9 metres ahead. They stole the line-out and had the ball for 2 close phases then one wide without advance before the defence was penalised. The kick took them to 16 metres out; from there the pack set up a drive; held once it got going again loosely then drove to the line with lock Steele on the ball. Hammett kicked for the draw before the whistle.

Dry, overcast but fairly bright; quite strong wind along the good pitch.

Key moments

Try Tom McArthur scores for Barnes
Conversion Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
Penalty Josh Hammett kicks a penalty for Barnes
Try David Butler scores for Barnes
Conversion Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
Try Matt Steele scores for Barnes
Conversion Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes


View 0 new events
80:00 Conversion 24 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
79:00 Try 22 - 0
Matt Steele scores for Barnes
75:00 Conversion 17 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
74:00 Try 15 - 0
David Butler scores for Barnes
End of period 1
40:00 Penalty 10 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a penalty for Barnes
25:00 Conversion 7 - 0
Josh Hammett kicks a conversion for Barnes
24:00 Try 5 - 0
Tom McArthur scores for Barnes
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Barnes
  • Bury St. Edmunds
  • 0
  • Tom McArthur Try 24:00'
  • Josh Hammett Conversion 25:00'
  • Josh Hammett Penalty 40:00'
  • David Butler Try 74:00'
  • Josh Hammett Conversion 75:00'
  • Matt Steele Try 79:00'
  • Josh Hammett Conversion 80:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National 2 South results

Old Albanian
Tonbridge Juddians
Worthing Raiders


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
9. Worthing Raiders 30 68
10. Old Albanian 30 66
11. Barnes 30 66
12. Old Redcliffians 30 60
13. Dings Crusaders 30 56
14. Birmingham & Solihull 30 50
15. Guernsey 30 49

Team sponsors


Club sponsors