Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 15 Dec 14:00 - RFU National - National 2 South Full time

Great skill from Canterbury in the conditions


(They did have the strong wind advantage in the 1st 1/2 and used it well)

Very cold with drizzle through the first half then rain in the second. Canterbury started with the important advantage of the strong wind. The visitors cleared the long kick-off to touch just beyond their 10 metre line then from the line-out Canterbury kept the ball close for 3 phases. Next, recycling to centre, they broke through to the 22 and after 10 more mixed phases centre Sterling broke the line and sent wing McIntosh to the line at 2½ minutes. Fly-half Best added.

After the restart Barnes regained from an up-and-under and kept the ball for 5 close phases before being awarded the first penalty. They kicked, not far, for a line-out 11 metres into the other half then had that stolen. Two kicks preceded the third line-out for Canterbury 7 metres past halfway. Canterbury recovered from tapped ball then were awarded a penalty near their 10 metre line. Their kick gained 26 metres and from the line-out they released to centre where Barnes forced an error to get the first scrum put-in. They were pushed back in the scrum and the opposition got the ball. Canterbury kicked over into the 22. Barnes' first kick was blown backwards by the wind; their second went forwards. Canterbury ran wide then wide again before the defence forced an error to get another put-in 9 metres from halfway. From it Barnes released to centre then dropped the ball; from the scrum 14 metres into the visitors' half Canterbury chipped to touch 15 metres out. They kept the ball in from the line-out and made some ground; the Ref. signalled a penalty before they recycled twice then kicking wide. Sterling got the ball and went over for the second try after 14 minutes not far from the posts. Best added.

From the restart Canterbury kept the ball for 4 close phases before kicking from their 22 to touch 9 metres past halfway. They seemed to steal a second line-out but the Ref. went back to award them a scrum 7 metres into the opposition half. From it they soon chipped to touch just inside the visitors' 22. Barnes secured their line-out and cleared to touch 17 metres from halfway. Canterbury had the ball from their line-out for 4 phases before Barnes forced an error to get a scrum at the same distance. Under pressure they got the ball away and broke blind and started their first decent possession, this in the second quarter. After 9 mixed phases a high tackle gave them a penalty that they ran; they went wide and made ground; after 3 more phases they chipped over towards touch for a wing to regain but the ball went into touch 17 metres out. From the line-out Canterbury cleared to touch almost to halfway. Barnes went wide from the line-out then wide again; at the next breakdown they were turned over and Canterbury sent the ball wide for McIntosh to run away to the line at 27 minutes. Best added.

After the restart Canterbury recycled twice before chipping over and regaining; Barnes were penalised at their 22 and Canterbury ran the ball. After 3 recycles Best shrugged off a couple of tackles to go over wide out at the half hour. His excellent conversion followed.

The visitors regained from their restart and recycled 3 times to get a penalty 14 metres into the opposition half. The kick took them to 29 metres out then kept the ball in from the line-out to get another penalty 3 metres ahead. They kicked for a line-out 13 metres out and from that kept the ball close for 7 phases before being turned over. Canterbury soon kicked for territory then Barnes had the ball for 4 phases before being turned over again. Canterbury made ground then recycled wide and the other Best at centre broke through and wing Grimes was sent to the line half way out after 36 minutes. The conversion missed.

Canterbury secured the restart and kicked well to touch 13 metres past halfway then stole the line-out. After 3 recycles including recovering from an error they chipped through again effectively to touch 29 metres from the visitors' line. Barnes dithered throwing the line-out and the Ref. gave Canterbury a free-kick that they ran wide. The visitors forced a turnover and kicked out for the whistle.

Canterbury secured the second half restart into their 22 and started running; they got a penalty 24 metres out. The kick took them to 13 metres from halfway where they threw the line-out too long. Barnes got the ball then dropped it after one recycle. Canterbury got the ball back and soon went wide; after 6 phases we had a Barnes' scrum 27 metres from the opposition line. The ball was dropped again after releasing to centre giving Canterbury a scrum 18 metres inside their half then a free-kick at that. They chose another scrum and broke blind and wide from that and started attacking, making ground. Kicks were exchanged then Canterbury put together a set of 8 mostly close phases to get a penalty at their opponents' 10 metre line. The kick took them to 19 metres out; Barnes held a drive then Canterbury kept the ball for 10 mostly close phases before being forced into touch 24 metres out. From their line-out the visitors soon used an up-and-under. Canterbury got the ball and kept it for another 9 mixed phases before passing forward back at their 10 metre line. Soon following the scrum Barnes got a penalty 2 metres ahead and ran it to get another at the 22 that was kicked not far to 17 metres out. The line-out was stolen but just after the visitors won a turnover and advanced to another penalty 7 metres out and gained a man advantage for 10 minutes. From the 5 metre line-out the pack started a drive and a bit slowly advanced over the line wide out with prop McArthur on the ball after 16 minutes. The conversion missed.

Barnes' up-and-under following the restart resulted in their penalty at halfway. The kick gained them 18 metres but the line-out was stolen. Canterbury went wide and recycled a couple of times before an opposition put-in at the same distance. Under pressure Barnes hooked the ball but at the back of their scrum it was Canterbury who ran off with it and soon kicked to touch at the visitors' 22. Barnes got their line-out ball but had it taken off them in the line-out; Canterbury went wide and recycled wide again. They then put together a set of 10 close recycles before a pass to fullback Moss sent him to the line out wide after 23 minutes. The conversion was wide.

Canterbury secured the long restart and kept the ball for 4 phases before an attacking Barnes' scrum at the 22. After it the visitors chipped over for a wing to run onto but the ball went into touch at the 22. Canterbury soon used an up-and-under after their line-out; it was charged down into touch 7 metres out. After Canterbury's second line-out Barnes got a put-in 6 metres out. Right after it an error gave possession back to the defence and Canterbury ran out to another opposition put-in 27 metres out when they were held up in a maul. Following the scrum Canterbury hacked loose ball then got a penalty at their 10 metre line. They chose to have a scrum and from it advanced with 4 phases before being dispossessed. This was followed by a penalty for the visitors 15 metres past halfway. The touch kick only gained 14 metres with the wind; the line-out was followed by a Barnes' scrum at the same distance. From that under pressure they kept the ball for a couple of phases to get another penalty without advancing, but did get a man advantage for the last 9 minutes. The kick took them to 5 metres out then they were forced backwards to another scrum put-in for them 20 metres out. From that they broke blind before an error and Canterbury hacked the ball to touch 17 metres from halfway. After the line-out and 2 recycles a poor pass gave possession back to the opposition. Canterbury kicked excellently to touch 20 metres from the visitors' line. Barnes used an up-and-under then won a turnover and put together a good set of 7 phases before an error preceded the final whistle.

Rather cold, windy, totally cloudy; drizzle then rain throughout; the pitch a bit soft but firm.

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National 2 South results

Tonbridge Juddians
Old Albanian
Worthing Raiders


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
9. Worthing Raiders 30 68
10. Old Albanian 30 66
11. Barnes 30 66
12. Old Redcliffians 30 60
13. Dings Crusaders 30 56
14. Birmingham & Solihull 30 50
15. Guernsey 30 49

Team sponsors


Club sponsors