Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Dings Crusaders
C Smyth, D Ruddock
Sat 27 Oct 14:30 - RFU National - National 2 South Full time

Barnes seemed to set the Crusaders onto the back foot from the start


Dings' try came from an intercept while Barnes were attacking in the opposition 22

Barnes kicked off and forced an error from Dings just outside the 22; a free kick against them was awarded at the scrum. Dings ran this and put together a very good set of 15 mostly close phases before chipping through the line from just outside the opposition 22. The visitors cleared to touch 5 metres from halfway then after the line-out the Crusaders kept the ball close for 6 phases but with no advance until their opponents forced an error 10 metres back. From the scrum Barnes went wide and advanced to the 22 recycling 3 times before the ball was dropped 20 metres out. Dings cleared to touch but only at 19 metres out. From their line-out Barnes' forwards set up a driving maul; at first rather loosely then got going and after being held once got going and on to the line and over with flanker and captain Smyth on the ball at 8½ minutes wide out. The conversion just missed, affected by the varying wind.

The visitors used a near vertical up-and-under following the restart; they regained and kicked for territory to the other 22. Dings replied with a kick then Barnes ran the ball for 5 phases to get a penalty 26 metres from the opposition line. Their touch-kick didn't go out (one of several in the game affected by the wind) but did result in their scrum 7 metres out. Their pack kept the ball in; the defence held and got their put-in 5½ metres out from which they broke blind then kicked ahead. Barnes ran back and kept ball in hand for 6 phases before being turned over. The Crusaders sent a good kick to touch 11 metres past halfway. Barnes used an up-and-under after their line-out and regained but right after that were penalised at the next breakdown. The kick didn't find touch and the visitors set off running; they soon dropped the ball and it was hacked by Dings to the line. Instead of a 22 drop-out the Ref. went back for a Dings' scrum 16 metres into their opponents' half. From that the home team went wide and made yards before being forced into touch 25 metres out. They stole the line-out but were directly turned over. The visitors then made their best advance thus far; they made a close break after the next recycle then they used a vertical up-and-under after 3 more recycles. That was regained and used wide ball for two phases to take them to the opposition line where possession was lost and the Crusaders touched down for a 22 drop-out towards the end of the first quarter.

Barnes ran the ball back recycling 6 times before chipping over. Dings dealt with this and kept the ball for 7 phases before kicking for territory and towards touch. The visitors kicked back into the opposition 22 then forced a turnover. They recycled close 5 times before chipping through to touch almost 5 metres from the Crusaders' line. After the line-out Barnes were penalised 5 metres out and Dings kicked to touch 17 metres from halfway. An error after the line-out gave the visitors a scrum then a penalty at that followed; they kicked for another line-out 12 metres from their opponents' line. An error at that gave the defence a free-kick that was kicked to touch 11 metres from halfway. The line-out was stolen and Dings kept the ball for 5 close phases that included recovering twice from small errors. Next a Barnes' scrum 8 metres into the opposition half started a good attack consisting of 14 mostly close phases. With Barnes up flat in Dings' 22 an interception by wing Hargan sent him all the way to the other line and score half way between the posts and touch before the half-hour. The wind-affected conversion shaved a post on the outside.

The Crusaders cleared the restart to touch 16 metres from halfway. From the line-out the visitors soon chipped through; after three recycles a Dings' kick bounced of an opposition player and resulted in a long 22 drop-out. After that Barnes caught then dropped the ball giving the Crusaders a scrum 11 metres past halfway. Following that they put together a very good set of 15 close phases before an error gave Barnes a scrum 18 metres from their line. From that they cleared to touch 14 metres from halfway. After the line-out Dings kept the ball close for 5 phases before going wider then an error gave the visitors the last scrum of the half 10 metres inside their half. After that and the next error the Ref. blew for half-time.

The early minutes of the second half were played in Dings' half while they had more possession, recycling well. After some kicking from both teams the Crusaders caught an opposition up-and-under and after recycling once close and once much wider one of their flankers broke clear through the defence. His pass was dropped giving Barnes a scrum 9 metres inside their half. The visitors' pack kept the ball in and were awarded a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 16 metres out. From there they tried to drive but were soon turned over; Dings cleared to touch 18 metres out. Trying to start another driving maul the visitors were penalised and the Crusaders kicked for a line-out just past halfway. Before the ball was thrown they were awarded a free-kick that they ran; this resulted in their scrum 5 metres ahead after a couple of recycles. Barnes forced an error immediately after that to get their own put-in and got a penalty after keeping the ball in. The kick took them to 29 metres out and from this line-out they put together their best sequence of mostly close phases, 15 altogether, before, with the fullback in the line, a couple of passes got the ball to wing Ruddock, not on the wing, who forced himself over from a few metres out at 15 minutes, half way between the posts and touch. Again the wind sent the conversion wide.

The visitors used an up-and-under soon after the restart and then forced an opposition player into touch, near halfway. After the line-out Dings were penalised and the ball was kicked for a line-out 20 metres out. Barnes were penalised after keeping the ball in from that and the Crusaders kicked for another line-out 11 metres from halfway. Again Dings were forced into touch then they stole the third line-out. Following that they used an up-and-under that resulted in their penalty at their 10 metre line. The kick gained them 26 metres then from the line-out they recycled 4 times before chipping through the line of defence. Barnes chipped over the attacking line and got a penalty 20 metres inside their half. Dings kick gained 32 metres but again their line-out was stolen. Three kicks followed then the Crusaders made a good blind break and recycled 4 times before being turned over. The visitors chipped over to get a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 20 metres into their opponents' half. The line-out was not secured but did result in a scrum for Barnes after which they had the ball for 3 phases without advancing before being penalised. The kick gained few metres and then Barnes stole the line-out. After recycling 4 times, going wider and advancing the opposition forced an error to get a put-in 30 metres out. Dings soon went wide from the scrum before a pass was dropped giving the visitors a scrum 23 metres out. After that and 4 phases the Crusaders got the next put-in, just inside their 22, when the opposition didn't get the ball out. From that they broke blind and recycled twice before having a kick charged down. This resulted in a scrum for the visitors 10 metres from halfway from which they soon kicked ahead to the line. Dings recovered from having their 22 drop-out charged down and broke out strongly with just a couple of phases. Then 9 metres into the other half they lost a man for 10 minutes. The visitors were very slow setting up their line-out after the penalty kick, giving the opposition a free-kick that they ran from 9 metres inside their half. After the first recycle they broke through then after 10 phases in all, they were awarded a penalty for a very low tackle that felled a ball carrier, just past halfway. The kick took them to 23 minutes out then the line-out was followed by a scrum for the defence near there from which the ball was kept close. Dings then lost a man for the last minute; the following line-out was thrown not-straight before the final whistle.

Cold with weak drizzle through most of the game, some varying wind; an artificial pitch.

Key moments

Try Ciaran Smyth scores for Barnes
Try Daniel Ruddock scores for Barnes


View 0 new events
60:00 Try 0 - 10
Daniel Ruddock scores for Barnes
End of period 1
20:00 Try 0 - 5
Ciaran Smyth scores for Barnes
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Dings Crusaders
  • Barnes
  • 0
  • Ciaran Smyth Try 20:00'
  • Daniel Ruddock Try 60:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National 2 South results

Tonbridge Juddians
Worthing Raiders
Old Albanian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
9. Worthing Raiders 30 68
10. Old Albanian 30 66
11. Barnes 30 66
12. Old Redcliffians 30 60
13. Dings Crusaders 30 56
14. Birmingham & Solihull 30 50
15. Guernsey 30 49

Team sponsors


Club sponsors