Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 7 Apr 15:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

Once more unto the breach, ...


Again it's the defence that wins the game; Tring's no. 10 was allowed far too much room to play

The home team kicked-off to the 22 and the visitors cleared to touch 9 metres from halfway. Barnes went wide from the line-out with the fullback in the line and soon kicked to the 22. Tring cleared again, this time to almost 5 metres from the centre line. Barnes released from the second line-out and after two recycles the fullback freed the left wing. After a good advance then recycling wide twice they were awarded the first penalty 30 metres out near centre field and the fly-half kicked the points after 3 minutes.

Barnes used an up-and-under after the restart then got the next scrum put-in 12 metres inside their half. From that they soon kicked long then they were penalised after Tring had got the ball and recycled once. From their 10 metre line the kick took Tring to just outside the opposition 22. From that they put together 4 mixed phases; the last a pass that bounced and was then caught wrong footed the defence. After an advance and 3 more phases they got over the line but were held up. From the 5 metre scrum they put together 5 more phases before the defence forced an error to get their own 5 metre put-in. Following that Barnes soon cleared long and high to touch. Tring threw a quick line-out and put together 5 mostly wide phases to get a penalty 26 metres out near centre field and their fly-half kicked the points at 12 minutes.

After the restart and a chip through by the visitors Barnes' progress was halted when the opposition stole a long-thrown line-out. Tring had the ball for 5 phases before being dispossessed; Barnes attacked recycling 5 times, mostly wider, with 2 good breaks to get a penalty 15 metres out. Their touch kick took them to less than 6 metres out. An error at the line-out gave the visitors a defensive scrum put-in then cleared to touch just outside their 22. Barnes attacked well from the next line-out until Tring forced an error to get another scrum 2 metres inside their 22. Barnes ran back the opposition's kick ahead before being turned over at the 22. The visitors cleared to touch almost to their 10 metre line. From this line-out Barnes kept the ball for 6 mixed phases without advancing to get a penalty. They kicked for a line-out 18 metres out then had that stolen. Tring were unable to use the ball and Barnes got the next put-in there. From that they advanced out wide with two phases then got a penalty after recycling close a couple of times. They chose to have a scrum that soon resulted in another penalty. They chose another scrum; after this went down and was reset they let the ball out. The fullback came in close and recycled the ball then after 6 more close phases the ball was recycled wide to flanker Smyth who went over wide out just after the half hour. The conversion missed.

After getting the ball back from an up-and-under after the restart Tring had the ball for 6 phases before the opposition forced an error. After a Barnes' scrum and 4 kicks the home team got another put-in 3 metres outside their 22. They soon kicked ahead; Tring ran back well recycling three times before they were penalised at the opposition 22. Barnes used an up-and-under after the next line-out at their 10 metre line. The visitors got the ball and got a penalty after going wide, this 12 metres into their opponents' half. They kicked for a line-out 8 metres out; this was 3 minutes from halftime. From that Tring put together 20 mixed phases before being forced into touch at the halftime whistle.


The visitors regained their high second half kick-off and went wide before an opposition line-out 10 metres past halfway. From that Barnes put together 4 mostly close phases to get a penalty 3 metres ahead and a man advantage for 10 minutes. The kick took them to their line-out 18 metres from the visitors' line. An attempted drive soon went down then the ball was recycled mostly close 5 times, the last to the fullback. His short diagonal chip over the defence was perfect for wing Martey who then deceived and forced his way over wide out after 3 minutes. The conversion hit the near post and stayed out; the score was 13 - 3.

The restart was returned with an up-and-under; Tring responded by putting together 13 very god mostly close phases until an attempted intercept was knocked on giving them a scrum 17 metres into the opposition half. From that the visitors broke blind and after 4 more phases were turned over. Barnes ran wide then soon used an up-and-under; this resulted in a penalty for Tring 7 metres inside their half. The kick gained them 21 metres and from the line-out they advanced strongly putting together 13 phases almost all close to get a penalty 5 metres out. They opted for a 5 metre line-out then a drive to which at first Barnes offered no resistance. They got over the line and were held up before the Ref. went back to another 5 metre penalty and reduced the defence to 14 men. Barnes stole the next line-out and soon kicked for territory; the visitors ran the ball back and broke through out wide to 10 metres out. They recycled 4 times before they were intercepted; a sharp pass was dropped giving Tring a scrum a few metres outside the opposition 22.

From that they released to centre then recycled 6 times, going wider more often before being turned over close to the line. The defence cleared to touch outside their 22 and stole another line-out. Next Barnes recycled twice before using a long up-and-under that they regained. They then put together 6 mixed phases before Tring forced an error to get a scrum near halfway. From it they went wide and broke through then recycled close 3 times to get a penalty at the 22 that they kicked for a line-out 9 metres out. Their drive was held then they recycled once blind before the fly-half sent a good long pass out to put a replacement three-quarter over wide out at the end of the third quarter. The former's conversion was good reducing the deficit to 3 points.

Recently the temperature had got warmer and the Sun broken through whereas it had been overcast at the start. The high restart came down out of the Sun and was dropped by the catcher just inside the 22. At the scrum Barnes first kept the ball in then released it wide and advanced. It was recycled to the no. 8 who made yards; it was recycled twice more the second time back to the no.8 who touched down wide out less than 4 minutes after the opposition try. The fly-half converted.

The restart was returned with an up-and-under; Tring kept the ball for 7 phases before an attempted intercept gave them a scrum 16 metres into the opposition half. From that they advanced strongly putting together 10 well-mixed phases to get close to the opposition line where the defence forced an error to get the ball. Barnes ran from behind their line a made a lot of ground; after recycling once the visitors forced an error to get another scrum, this time at Barnes' 10 metre line. Following that Tring advanced with 8 mostly close phases before their fly-half found a hole in the defence to score not far from the posts at just before the half-hour then converted his try.

The visitors ran the ball well from the restart and broke through to the other half. Then they put together 7 good mixed phases before being turned over. Barnes ran the ball then were forced into touch 2 metres from halfway. Tring went wide from the line-out then recycled 9 times mostly close to get a penalty 12 metres further ahead. Their kick took them to 16 metres out and from the line-out they recycled 15 more times, again mostly close to get a penalty 9 metres out. They kicked for a line-out 5 metres out and set for a forward drive; this was held and the defence got a 5 metre scrum. Barnes' no. 8 picked up and the ball was recycled close twice before being cleared to touch 21 metres out. From this line-out Tring released close and recycled 3 times with an offload before the last one. The Ref. signalled a penalty for them then there was an incident. A Barnes' player on the ground was injured by one of the opposition; the Ref. consulted his nearby assistant and it was decided that what happened had been the result of dangerous play and a red card was shown. This was 18 metres from Barnes' line; the ball was put into touch 17 metres from halfway and kept in from the line-out. A penalty against the visitors resulted in the final whistle.

Overcast, dry, cool, windy at the start; the pitch good - sunny and warm later after 4 p.m.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors