Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 17 Mar 15:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

Excellent preparation for next week's game


Other than Barnes’ very good defence the difference between the teams appeared to be teamwork v. individual actions.

The visitors kicked off with the wind advantage and dealt with the opposition's first up-and-under. They then kept possession for 4 phases before kicking well to touch 13 metres from Barnes' line. From the line-out the ball was cleared to touch 24 metres out. After their line-out Shelford put together 12 very good mixed phases to get a penalty 21 metres out in centre field at 4 minutes and fly-half Simmons kicked the points.

Barnes regained their short-ish restart and recycled close twice before a knock--on gave them the first scrum put-in 18 metres into their opponents' half. From that they kept the ball for 5 phases before being turned over; after 3 phases Shelford kicked for territory. Barnes ran the ball wide and recycled twice then prop Ryan had his first rumble making a big impact. The ball was then recycled 6 times, mostly close and sometimes rather slowly, to send wing Martey over half way out at 9 minutes. Fly-half Wicks added.

The restart was cleared to touch at the 22; the visitors advanced from the line-out for 4 mostly close phases before being penalised for not releasing 16 metres out. Barnes cleared to touch at their 10 metre line then their long throw was blown not-straight by the wind. After the scrum and 3 phases Shelford dropped the ball; Barnes got it and broke away to get a penalty 18 metres from the opposition line in centre field at 14 minutes and their fly-half kicked for a 7 point lead.

Barnes soon returned the restart with an up-and-under; the visitors kept the ball and put together an excellent set of 11 phases before dropping a pass 12 metres out. Soon after their scrum Barnes were penalised for not releasing 18 metres out. Shelford ran the ball and got close to the line with 4 phases before being turned over. Barnes cleared to touch 18 metres out. An error just after the line-out gave Barnes a scrum there. After it they soon cleared to touch but after having advanced out of the 22 then taken the ball back into it. This gave the visitors a line-out 14 metres out. From this one Shelford used wider ball several times and after 7 phases a gap opened up through which replacement forward Newberry went to the line near the corner at 23 minutes. A very good conversion from the fly-half followed, levelling the scores.

The visitors dealt with the high restart and ran the ball wide then soon kicked for territory. Barnes chipped over the opposition; Shelford ran wide again and made good ground before dropping the ball 8 metres past halfway. From their scrum the home team put together their best attack thus far. First releasing to centre, then recycling close twice they went wide again and the scrum half Franklin set lock Steele off and a very good run. The ball was recycled 5 metres out then 4 more close recycles put flanker Malaney over at the corner at 27 minutes. The conversion missed.

After receiving the restart Barnes put together another very good set of phases before being turned over. The visitors recycled 5 times before they were turned over; Barnes chipped through then Shelford soon used an up-and-under. Barnes ran the ball then used another chip through that was regained. They advanced again with 5 recycles to get a penalty 18 metres out and kicked to touch 9 metres out. Shelford stopped the drive from the line-out and Barnes recycled mostly close 5 times to get another penalty near the line. They kicked for a line-out; again the visitors held then Barnes put together 8 phases before an error gave Shelford a scrum 6 metres out. From that they advanced with a no. 8 pick-up then recycled twice; they recovered from an up-and-under being charged down before another error gave the opposition a scrum just outside the 22. Barnes went wide from that then recycled before a couple of passes sent the ball to Martey, a few metres out, whose second try at the corner, sneaking past defence, was worthy of Harry Houdini. The conversion was wide before the whistle.

Shelford secured the second half kick-off and made good ground with 7 mostly wide phases before the opposition forced an error to get the ball. It was sent to Martey who ran to the corner at 2 minutes. The conversion was wide. Barnes struggled to secure the high restart then replied with an up-and-under that they regained. They got a penalty after recycling once and kicked, not far, for a line-out 19 metres into the other half. From that they went wide twice and advanced then recycled twice before advancing again before the defence forced an error to get a scrum 7 metres out. The visitors cleared to touch 29 metres out; they regained possession from an error at the line-out and put together 7 phases before the opposition forced an error to get a scrum put-in one metre inside their half. From that Barnes broke blind and advanced with 4 breaks in 8 phases to get a penalty 9 metres out. They ran this but were turned over after recycling once. Shelford went wide but only to an opposition line-out 12 metres out. They stole that then got a scrum a metre ahead then a scrum at that. They kicked for a line-out 28 metres out that resulted in a scrum for Barnes 30 metres out. The ball came out at the side of that and Barnes just got it then recycled once before getting a penalty 17 metres inside the visitors' half. This was kicked for a line-out less than 6 metres out. Shelford held the drive just before the line; Barnes recycled 7 times to get a penalty a dozen metres out in centre field at 17 minutes. The fly-half was asked to kick the points.

Barnes soon returned the restart with a long high kick. The visitors ran the ball back with 7 phases before errors was forced giving Barnes a put-in 6 metres inside their half. From that they kicked ahead; Shelford got the ball but soon another error gave the opposition another scrum, this time at Shelford's 22. After that there followed an intercept and a turnover then a Barnes' diagonal chip. The visitors ran wide twice before Barnes forced an error to get a put-in 26 metres from their opponents' line. From that they went wide and put together 6 phases before the fly-half sent Martey to the corner at 26 minutes. An excellent conversion from the former followed, making the lead 25 points.

They secured the high restart and soon sent the outside centre breaking through; the fullback followed up and Barnes got a penalty 29 metres out. The kick gained them 16 metres and from the line-out their backs ran the ball for 6 phases before a pass didn't go to hand. The ball was hacked ahead by the left wing; Shelford had the ball momentarily then Barnes got it back just before they were awarded a penalty and a man advantage for 10 minutes, 4 metres out. The ball was put into touch, then Shelford held the drive and forced an error after Barnes recycled close twice. After the scrum, 5 metres out, Shelford kept the ball close for 3 phases then adventurously went wide twice before Barnes grabbed the loose ball. After one recycle a forward pass gave the visitors another scrum 10 metres out. They advanced again, were turned over, then got a third put-in 18 metres out when the opposition dropped a pass. This time Shelford went wide from the scrum and made more ground; after two more passes they were forced into touch 3 metres short of halfway. They stole the line-out and with 6 phases made 7 more metres to another put-in for them. From this they went wide but immediately lost possession; a pass sent lock Steele clear away towards the corner. After 6 mostly close recycles the fly-half chipped to the line; the visitors got the ball for a 22 drop-out. From that wing Carlisle ran the ball to score at the corner. An excellent conversion from the fly-half preceded the final whistle.

Dry and cold with wind varying up to occasionally strong; totally overcast; no snow on the ground but a very little in the air. The pitch a bit softer than last week but still good-ish.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors