Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 13 Jan 14:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

Although 6 tries to 3 Barnes had to fight hard for this one

Dorking a bit of a puzzle; only beaten once previously at home and beat Guernsey! Yet away their average score is 41 against 22 for.

Barnes scored 4 tries to Dorking's 1 in the first half. Dorking could have had another at the half hour but for one of many errors. Considering how much possession they had had Barnes could have had more. In the second half with a man advantage for a few minutes they went further ahead with another try then spent a lot of the next 20 minutes defending, helped by several turnovers. Dorking then got their other two tries not long before the half hour. Then with more conservative play and good retention Barnes ended with another try.

The home team kicked off with the advantage of the slope; Barnes replied with an up-and-under that was dropped backwards. Dorking then kept the ball for 9 phases in their half, including recovering from 2 more minor errors, before kicking. Now the visitors recovered from a minor error and got just past halfway and were awarded the first penalty. The kick took them to the opposition 22 and from their line-out they first kept the ball in. Dorking held the attempted drive that soon went down. Barnes then recycled 5 times before a pass sent a forward over the line but he was prevented from getting the ball down. After the 5 metre scrum the ball was recycled blind to no. 8 Hind who forced his way over at the corner after 5 minutes. The fullback's conversion hit the near post and bounced out.

Dorking responded well. Barnes having secured the restart went wide and this resulted in their line-out 5 metres inside their half. From that they put together 5 close phases before having an up-and-under charged down. They recovered from this and went wide to advance into the other half where the defence forced an error to get a scrum 11 metres inside their half. From that they went wide and made yards then recycled to flanker Mitchell who broke through the line and fed lock King who went to the posts after 9 minutes. Fullback Carne converted.

Dorking cleared the restart to touch well, almost to halfway. From the line-out Barnes went wide and centre Cornish made ground before a Dorking line-out just outside their 22. The visitors were awarded a free-kick at that and ran the ball. They put together 14 mostly close phases before getting a penalty 5 metres out. Fullback O'Toole took the ball and darted over, after 14 minutes. Fly-half Williams-Davies' conversion missed.

The visitors used an up-and-under after the restart; Dorking secured the ball and ran then soon dropped it. Barnes got it and wing Carlisle made ground and the ball was recycled wide again for another advance before the defence got a penalty 15 metres from their line. Dorking kicked for a line-out 11 metres from halfway and from it soon broke blind before losing possession after advancing with 2 phases to Barnes' 22. A pass went astray into opposition hands then the visitors used another up-and-under. Dorking dealt with that and advanced again with 4 phases to their opponents; 10 metres line where Barnes got the next scrum. From it they went wide and advanced before recycling twice before the Ref. went back to award them a penalty 5 metres past halfway. The kick took them to their line-out not far inside the 22. From there a drive was started then the ball was soon released. The fullback came in and switched play then after 4 more mostly close phases lock Nimmo broke a tackle to go over at 24 minutes. The fly-half added for a 10 point lead.

Dorking regained their high restart but soon were dispossessed. Barnes put together a dozen mostly close phases before the defence forced an error to get a scrum 28 metres from their line. After that Dorking went wide and soon made ground before their line-out less than 10 metres from halfway. That was stolen and the visitors recycled twice before they too lost possession. The home team ran wide and advanced into the other half; after 2 recycles they broker though in midfield to the 22. After recycling once, a penalty having been signalled, they chipped over. Barnes dealt with that and the Ref. went back to award a penalty outside the 22 then added 10 more metres for something he heard. The ball was put into touch for a 5 metre line-out. The attempted drive went down then an error gave the defence a 5 metre scrum. Dorking were awarded a free-kick at that and chose to have another; from it they went wide before losing possession. Carlisle ran then kicked ahead; Dorking ran the ball back in their half then kicked towards touch. This resulted in their line-out 8 metres past halfway; soon after it an error gave the visitors a scrum 4 metres ahead. From that they broke blind and after 3 recycles launched an up-and-under that wing Martey regained. Advancing with 4 more phases they got a penalty 31 metres out then the Ref. gave them another 10. The line-out was 7 metres out and from there the forwards drove over wide out at 37 minutes with hooker Garrett on the ball. The conversion was wide.

The visitors replied to the restart with an up-and-under; Dorking ran the ball to get a penalty 6 metres past halfway and kicked for a line-out 25 metres out. That was stolen and soon kicked to touch for the halftime whistle.

After the second half kick-off and two more kicks a Dorking error gave the visitors a scrum just inside their opponents' 22. Soon after they were turned over then two more kicks preceded the first retention of the half. Dorking had the ball for 8 phases before they were turned over. Next Barnes kept the ball and advanced recycling 7 times to get a penalty 30 metres out. They ran this and got another penalty 10 metres ahead plus a man advantage for 10 minutes. The line-out was 13 metres out; Dorking held the drive then Barnes chipped lateral and regained. After two more recycles scrumhalf Reeves got over wide out before 8 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The visitors replied to the restart with an up-and-under. This resulted in a penalty for Dorking 5 metres inside their half and both teams having 14 players. A very good kick them to 16 metres from the opposition line. The line-out was stolen and the ball cleared to touch just inside the 22. Dorking went wide from this line-out and after 2 recycles chipped over into the 22 where it was comfortably marked. The 3rd line-out was just before halfway and Dorking then kept the ball for 5 phases before kicking to touch 8 metres from Barnes' line. The visitors next cleared to touch 20 metres from halfway. The 4th line-out was stolen but an error gave Dorking a scrum 30 metres from the visitors' line. After it and 3 phases, 2 of which were wide, they were turned over. Barnes soon chipped over and regained; they recycled 3 times before chipping through the line into the 22. They won another turnover then almost immediately lost possession. Advantage was played and Dorking ran the ball wide in their 22 before another error caused the Referee to go back to a Dorking scrum 21 metres out. From that scrum another excellent touch kick took them almost to the other 22. The visitors used an up-and-under after the line-out; Dorking got the ball and attacked at centre. After 4 phases two errors resulted in their scrum 24 metres out. Their pack pushed Barnes back slowly a couple of metres and the Ref. gave Barnes a put-in, apparently for not getting the ball out but there might have been a knock-on in the scrum. Next Barnes cleared to touch but only to 24 metres out. From this line-out Dorking had probably their best sequence of retention and recycling; after 11 phases the ball was knocked on 3 metres out. From the scrum Barnes soon cleared to touch, this time 25 metres out. Dorking released to centre from the line-out and had the ball for five phases including recovering from an error before being turned over again. Barnes kicked ahead, this time not to touch, and Dorking ran the ball back and their three-quarters put together their most successful move of the game finished by Carne after 4 phases and several passes wide out at 26 minutes. The conversion missed.

Dorking soon kicked back the restart; the visitors ran the ball for 6 mostly close phases. A pass when they went wider was intercepted by the opposition fly-half Pimlow and he sent wing Hunt half the pitch to the posts a couple of minutes after the previous try and Carne added to make the scores 19 - 27.

Dorking again kicked back the restart; Barnes kept the ball for 11 mostly close phases before being penalised 27 metres from Dorking's line. The home team kick to touch just past halfway, recovered tapped ball and kicked ahead. The visitors replied with an up-and-under; Dorking got the ball and son kicked again. Barnes ran the ball back recycling mostly close to get a penalty 9 metres past halfway. They kicked for a line-out, still outside the 22, and from that recycled close 11 times, the last to replacement flanker Van Der Poel who forced his way over from 8 metres out. The conversion missed. The restart resulted in an error and the Ref. blew for full time.

Dry, cool but not cold, bright, some wind, the air not damp; the pitch soft but not bad.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: 1x1 rip

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors