Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 2 Dec 14:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time Attendance 254

A comprensive defeat; Barnes had no attack until Tring relaxed

In the 1st 1/2 despite having the slope Barnes had to defend. In the 2nd, from 13 minutes to 18 Tring ran in 4 tries.

Barnes first played at Tring 9 years ago when the score was 22 – 23. Today’s fly-halves both played in that match but Newton was at fullback. Of previous games Barnes have won 8 and Tring 2; Barnes’ heaviest defeat was in January 2014 when the score was Tring 40 – 10 Barnes.

The visitors kicked off with the advantage of the marked slope; Tring cleared to touch 12 metres from halfway. From the line-out Barnes had the ball for 9 phases, almost all close, until not getting the ball out from a ruck 7 metres back. After several exchanges with little retention a good kick from Tring forced Barnes to clear to touch near halfway. From the line-out the home team made a good wide break with the fullback in the line before trying an up-and-under. Barnes got the ball then an error soon after gave Tring a scrum 16 metres into the opposition half. From that they attacked well, breaking through in the centre and after 10 varied phases got over the line, but held up, after 9 minutes.

After their 5 metre scrum and a couple of close phases a failed attempt at an intercept by Barnes resulted in yellow card. Tring chose another scrum, 6 metres out; soon after that Barnes won a turnover then after 2 recycles failed to get the ball out giving their opponents a third scrum 9 metres out. From this one they had the ball for 7 phases before an error gave the visitors a scrum 10 metres out. They kicked for territory and Tring ran back strongly breaking through then putting together 8 good phases before the opposition forced an error to get the ball and clear to touch just past halfway. From the line-out, after recycling twice they broke through in midfield and after one more recycle they got a scrum 14 metres into the other half. They advanced from that going wide into the 22 then after recycling 6 times, close and wide, a very good lateral cross field kick was knocked on by an attacker 12 metres out. Tring pushed Barnes' pack off their scrum ball; another good set of phases, this time 6, preceded a forward pass 17 metres out. The visitors got a free-kick before the put-in and soon kicked for territory. Tring ran the ball back with 9 phases before their opponents forced an error to get a scrum 14 metres inside their half. Barnes kicked again for territory after it then Tring regained a diagonal kick after an unpredictable bounce. Straight after their error gave Barnes another scrum just outside their 22. After an up-and-under the opposition ran back, recycling twice before kicking to touch 20 metres from the visitors' 22. Barnes cleared to touch at halfway then stole the line-out; they soon launched an up-and-under. Tring got the ball then kicked out on the full giving their opponents a line-out 12 metres past halfway. This was the visitors' second time in the opposition half, 30 minutes after the first at the start.

From that they went wide and recycled 4 times before being turned over out wide. Tring had the ball for 3 phases before a stoppage for injury. The game was restarted with their scrum put-in; for a change they were under pressure and an error gave the visitors another scrum a metre ahead. From it they released to centre and advanced into the 22 with a couple of phases and the Ref. went back to award them a penalty just outside the 22. This was kicked for a line-out 12 metres out. After keeping the ball in and one close recycle the ball was dropped when let further out giving the defence a scrum 15 metres out. From that Tring soon cleared to touch 28 metres out. Barnes' pack released close from the line-out and after recycling 4 times the opposition were penalised 14 metres inside their half in centre field at 34 minutes and fullback Wicks kicked the points.

The visitors soon kicked back the high restart. Tring set off running again and one recycle their scrumhalf broke though close to the ruck to the opposition 22. Their attack continued strongly with 6 more phases until an error gave Barnes a scrum 8 metres out. They cleared to touch 27 metres out; Tring kept the ball close from their line-out for 3 phases before going wider then recycled close 6 more times before not getting the ball out and the Ref. blew for halftime. Tring had dominated territory and possession without scoring. The visitors had defended well but had looked unable to attack.

Tring regained their close second-half kick-off and advanced to the 22. They recycled twice close then went wider then made ground with 2 close phases to get to 5 metres out. Then, after recycling close 6 more times they got over wide-out inside 2 minutes to get the lead. The conversion missed.

At the restart Barnes kicked to the opposition 22; Tring kicked down the slope to touch 27 metres from their opponents' line. They stole the line-out and fly-half Newton made ground then 3 quick recycles got a player over the line but held up. Soon after their 5 metre scrum the defence won a turnover and cleared to touch at the 22. From the line-out Tring used a lateral kick that was regained then after 7 recycles the Ref. went back to award them a penalty 16 metres out. That was kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. Barnes chose to step away from the attempted driving maul then Tring got a 5 metre scrum. After it and 7 close phases the defence forced an error but the Ref. went back to give another penalty 5 metres out that was kicked for a line-out. The pack drove over but were held up; after another scrum Tring recycled close twice then went wider to the blind side and passed into touch. They stole this line-out and their pack drove to the line and over not far from the posts at 13 minutes. Newton added.

Tring secured the restart and launched an up-and-under after first keeping the ball close then recycling three times. The high ball was dropped and Tring got it and broke into the 22; after 2 recycles, the second wide, Newton ran and chipped over the defenders to regain and touch down over the line less than 2½ minutes after the previous try. He converted his try.

After receiving the restart and the ball being recycled once Newton broke clear through in midfield and sent replacement Davies clear to the corner within a minute of the preceding score. The conversion was unsuccessful.

Tring kicked the restart long to touch; the visitors took a quick line-out then soon attempted an up-and-under. This was charged down and the opposition got the ball; one pass sent another try scorer to the line at 18 minutes for an easy conversion by Newton.

Tring kicked the restart long; the visitors used another up-and-under that resulted in their scrum near halfway. From that they went wide, kicked through the line and regained. After recycling once they were dispossessed; kicks were exchanged, the second to touch. Tring threw a quick line-out then kicked out on the full from 17 metres inside their half. From the line-out Barnes kept the ball for 4 close phases to get a penalty 2 metres ahead which they ran. For perhaps the first time they showed some improvement and retained and recycled 11 times before the opposition forced an error to get the ball. They cleared to touch 24 metres out. A drive was started then the ball soon released to centre where Tring won a turnover. They now kept the ball for 5 phases then kicks were exchanged; Tring ran the ball and were intercepted after recycling once. One pass sent Barnes' wing Martey to the posts at 25 minutes and Wicks added.

The visitors cleared the long restart to touch 7 metres from halfway. From the line-out Tring broke though in midfield easily and chipped ahead to the line. The defence touched down for a 22 drop-out. The kick was long and a good chase enabled Barnes to force a ball carrier into touch 14 metres past halfway. From their line-out the visitors had the ball for 5 close phases before being turned over. Tring had it for 2 before passing into touch 6 metres into their opponents' half. Barnes soon used an up-and-under that the opposition got but immediately lost. Barnes then kept possession for 4 mixed phases to get a penalty 2 metres past halfway and kicked to touch 18 metres ahead. The line-out was thrown not-straight; from the scrum soon kicked long. The visitors ran the ball back well and after 5 phases got another penalty 24 metres out. That was kicked for a line-out 10 metres out. A drive from that was stopped and the ball was retained and recycled mostly close for 5 phases before an uncompleted turnover gave them a scrum 14 metres out. From that better retention for 16 phases got them a third penalty 5 metres out. The line-out was thrown not-straight again before the final whistle.

(Tring were unable to provide the names of their other try scorers)

Totally overcast, damp with light drizzle, not much wind; the pitch soft.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Crab Football

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors