Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 28 Oct 15:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

Better than a loss


lots of room for improvement

Guildford secured the high kick-off and recycled close twice before they kicked high. Next, after Barnes caught the ball, the visitors were penalised 16 metres inside their half. The kick took Barnes to 15 metres out and from the line-out Guilford were loose in defending the drive and the pack rumbled over near the corner with hooker Garrett on the ball at 90 seconds. The conversion was wide.

Barnes dealt with the restart to their 22 and soon launched an up-and-under. Guildford had the first run then recycled 3 times before having a kick charged down. Barnes got the ball then soon after a penalty for a high tackle at their 10 metre line. The kick gained them 18 metres then the line-out was thrown not-straight. The home team's scrumhalf stole the ball at the back of the scrum then Barnes put together 6 phases before chipping over the opposition. Their right wing Martey got the ball and after one recycle Guilford were penalised for the third time, 28 metres out. The kick went into touch 12 metres ahead. Barnes pack drove close to the line where the drive went down. A forward broke off to go over but was held up. Guildford were strong at the 5 metre scrum; Barnes released to their three-quarters who were penalised for crossing. For most of the rest of the first quarter Barnes stayed in the opposition half then near its end 2 penalties got the visitors to the other 22 and their line-out. From that the ball was kept close at first then after releasing to centre they got another penalty 17 metres out in centre field and fly-half Davies kicked the points at 19 minutes.

The next 15 minutes of to-and-fro were fairly even with forced and unforced errors from both teams. During this time Guilford were penalised 4 times and Barnes none, but the home team were unable to gain advantage from that. Next Barnes were awarded another penalty 17 metres into their opponents' half and ran the ball. After 9 mostly close phases and getting to 5 metres out they got another penalty and a man advantage for 10 minutes. They kicked for a line-out and drive; the defence held this but conceded another penalty. The second drive from the line-out was first forced backwards then got going to go over wide out at 36 minutes with the hooker again on the ball.

In the last minutes Guildford had the ball for 5 phases before being turned over; Barnes' backs then had a short attack ending with an error before the whistle.

The second half kick-off was dropped by Barnes giving the visitors a scrum 10 metres out. That resulted in a scrum for their opponents who were penalised at this second one. Guilford put the ball into touch for a line-out 5 metres out. They recovered from a loose tap and recycled mostly close 9 times before being penalised 23 metres out. Barnes kicked for a line-out 6 metres from halfway and their forwards set up a drive from there. They advanced then their scrumhalf broke close; after 2 recycles, one close and one wide, the opposition were penalised just past halfway. The kick took them to 23 metres out from where the pack drove to the line, not far from the posts, with prop McArthur on the ball at 8 minutes. Fly-half Wicks' conversion bounced off a post and over for a 12 point lead.

A couple of minutes after the restart Barnes lost a man for 10 minutes for a challenge in the air. This was 11 metres inside the visitors' half; Guildford got little advantage from the penalty and man advantage. The kick gained them 23 metres but they dropped the ball soon after the line-out. Barnes kept it for 4 close phases before launching an up-and-under to their opponents 22. This was marked in the 22 and cleared to touch 15 metres from halfway. Barnes went wide from the line-out for another 4 phases before the opposition grabbed a loose ball and had three good wide phases before kicking out on the full near halfway. From this line-out Barnes kept the ball for 5 phases before kicking ahead to the line, the result being a 22 drop-out. Barnes then put together their best sequence of phases, 11 mostly close to send fullback Ruddock over at the corner. The conversion was short.

An up-and-under after the restart resulted in a penalty for Barnes 17 metres inside their half. They kicked for a line-out to the other half but threw that not-straight. They were penalised in the scrum and Guildford kicked for another line-out, only to 11 metres past halfway. From that the visitors went wide twice to break through then wide again for another good break. Another recycle, this time close got them to 5 metres out from where they went wide again. After 3 more phases the defence forced a ball carrier into touch less than 6 metres out. From the line-out Barnes cleared to touch at their 22; an error at that gave Barnes another line-out there. This one resulted in a put-in for Guildford who were penalised in their under-pressure scrum. The home team kicked for a line-out 7 metres from halfway and set up a drive from that before going wide and advancing before going wide again. Two turnovers followed; Barnes had the ball for 3 phases before an error gave the visitors a scrum 18 metres inside their half. From that they put together their best attack; breaking blind then going wide and recovering from an error they broke though out wide to get to the opposition 22. Then two close recycles, one wider then another close got them a penalty 7 metres out. This was run with scrumhalf Jordan going over nearer the corner than the posts at 28 minutes. Replacement King converted.

The visitors dropped the restart giving the opposition a scrum 15 metres out. From that Barnes went wide then Guildford hacked a dropped ball deep into the other half. Barnes got the ball near their 22 and after a few recycles tried an up-and-under. Guilford claimed that and replacement King dodged some defence before the ball was recycled blind to wing Gomez who beat defenders to score wide out at 33 minutes. The conversion missed.

The visitors continued strongly from the restart; after some possession and an exchange of kicks they got a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 7 metres from the opposition line. That was stolen and the ball cleared to touch to 31 metres out. From the following line-out Guildford put together 10 mostly close phases while being forced backwards to 11 metres from halfway to an opposition put-in. Barnes soon kicked for territory after the scrum; Guildford ran the ball back recycling for 4 phases before an error at the whistle.

Dry, windy, overcast, cooling as the game went on; the pitch good.

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors