Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 7 Oct 15:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

An exciting game, particularly so in the last couple of minutes

Barnes' established an 8 point lead with 2 tries in the first quarter and Sidcup could not respond.

The home team secured the visitors' high kick-off and after recycling close twice launched a near vertical up-and-under. The return of the ball to hands resulted in a penalty for Sidcup 27 metres out and not far from centre field within a minute. Fly-half Twyford kicked the points.

The visitors soon replied to the long restart with a high clearance to touch 14 metres from halfway. From the line-out Barnes released to centre then recycled 3 times close before going wider. They made no ground and Sidcup forced an error to get the first scrum put-in 7 metres inside their half. From that they went wide with 6 phases before the opposition forced an error to get a put-in, this time 3 metres inside the visitors' half. After that and three phases they kicked to the opposition 22; Sidcup kicked back and the ball went into touch off a Barnes' player. From the line-out 11 metres into their opponents' half Sidcup recycled 5 times, mostly close, before chipping through the line to touch at the 22. From this line-out Barnes kept the ball then launched an up-and-under that the opposition kicked back. Barnes' backs then created some minor havoc to get a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 8 metres from the visitors' line. From that their pack started a drive that got going at the second attempt and got over half way between the corner and the posts with scrumhalf Reeves inside the pack on the ball at 11 minutes. Fly-half Wicks converted.

Barnes secured the high restart and launched an up-and-under after recycling twice; Sidcup launched one after recycling once. This resulted in a penalty for the visitors 25 metres out, not far from centre field at 13 minutes. Twyford kicked the points.

Sidcup returned the restart with an up-and-under; Barnes soon kicked another. The visitors kicked again, now to the opposition 22, after going wide and two more phases. Barnes' fullback a short period of retention consisting of 4 phases before another up-and-under was tried. From that they regained and had two more phases before being turned over. Barnes dealt with an immediate up-and-under and soon chipped through the line. Sidcup ran the ball but were intercepted; two recycles, one close the other wide sent outside centre Cornish away near touch before he came in to touch down not far from the posts at 17 minutes Wicks added.

There was no further score for more than 50 minutes; for the rest of the first half Barnes' progress was limited by having 3 line-outs stolen and 1 thrown not-straight. Barnes' defence was good.

For most of the second half before the last few minutes there was little between the teams then the last minutes changed everything. Readers not needing the detail may skip to the last sentence of the 5th last paragraph.

Otherwise, resuming with the usual detail from the previous score - the restart resulted in a scrum for the home team 26 metres from their line; from that they advanced out wide well into the other half with 4 phases. After a forward pass each Barnes advanced a bit further with another 4 phases to get another penalty that was kicked for a line-out 13 metres out. It was thrown not-straight but a turnover soon got the ball back. After 4 more phases Sidcup forced an error to get possession and advanced strongly into the other half with two breaks but only to a penalty against them at the opposition 10 metre line. They stole the following line-out and advanced with a drive then with 3 mostly close phases to another penalty against them at the previous place. The next line-out was retained and Barnes released to centre then recycled 7 times close before a poor pass gave Sidcup a scrum 20 metres inside their own half. After an advance from that a kick out on the full gave Barnes a line-out 3 metres inside their half. This was stolen and the visitors advanced strongly from it before chipping through to touch less than 10 metres from the opposition line. This line-out was retained and the defence used an up-and-under; Sidcup dealt with that and ran wide before passing into touch 15 metres out. They stole the line-out and kicked laterally to almost 5 metres out at the other side. Barnes retained the line-out and soon used another up-and-under; Sidcup got the ball and kept it for a 4 phases to get a penalty 19 metres out and kicked for a line-out 7 metres out. Their forward drive was held then they recycled close a couple of times and this resulted in their scrum put-in 12 metres out. From that they first went wide three times then recycled close once before going wide again. An exceptional tackle lost them the ball and gave Barnes a scrum 19 metres out. From it they soon kicked high; Sidcup got the ball and kept it for 6 phases before passing forward then the Ref. blew for halftime

The visitors secured the second half kick-off and ran the ball in their 22 then recycled 5 times before kicking ahead. Barnes ran the ball back to get a penalty 12 metres into their opponents' half. The touch kick took them to 17 metres out. From the line-out they put together a set of 12 good phases before being penalised for not releasing 10 metres out. Sidcup kicked for a line-out 26 metres out then after it kicks were exchanged. They ran from their 22 then an error each gave them a put-in 7 metres inside their half. From that they made 15 metres with 5 phases to an opposition scrum; their pack exerted pressure but Barnes got the ball away and soon kicked long. 3 more kicks preceded a penalty for the home team 1 metre inside their half. The kick gained them 18 metres then after the line-out and one close recycle fullback O'Toole chipped through for wing Martey to chase. He got to the ball first but could not regain giving the opposition a scrum just inside their 22. Sidcup were awarded a free-kick at that and ran the ball recycling twice before their opponents forced an error to get the next scrum put-in just less than 10 metres from halfway. Soon after Barnes kicked out on the full but Sidcup threw the line-out not straight. From this scrum Barnes first went wide and made yards then recycled three times close before losing possession. This allowed the visitors to get out of their half and to their penalty 11 metres into the other half with one break and one pass. The kick took them to just outside the 22 at 15 minutes.

They kept the ball close for 4 phases before being turned over; they soon forced an error to get possession back and got another penalty after a breakthrough. This nearly 10 metres into their opponents' half and the kick took them to 26 metres out. They kept the ball close from the line-out and advanced a bit then recycled 5 times before passing forward 16 metres out. After the scrum Barnes soon kicked long; Sidcup ran back to get a penalty at the opposition 10 metre line which they ran. At the 22 they were penalised and Barnes kicked for a line-out at halfway. They went wide from that and advanced with 6 phases before passing forward 18 metres into the other half. Releasing after the scrum they had the ball ripped by Butler and Barnes put together another good set of 11 phases before they were turned over. Sidcup recycled 5 times before launching an up-and-under; Barnes ran wide before losing possession. The visitors got the ball and kicked; this resulted in their line-out 6 metres into the other half. They put together 7 phases before being turned over; Barnes went wide with Wicks breaking through before an error gave Sidcup a scrum 29 metres from their line. From that they made ground in the centre before dropping; Barnes recycled 4 times, twice wide and twice close to get a penalty just inside the 22 in centre field and Wicks kicked the first points for 52 minutes of playing time to make the score 17 - 6.

With just over 10 minutes to go Barnes were very unlikely to get a 4-try bonus points

Barnes secured the high restart and kept the ball for 4 phases before being penalised for not releasing 8 metres inside their half. Sidcup ran the ball and got another penalty 20 metres out that they also ran. After a further advance the released wide then recycled once before the defence forced an error a metre inside their 22. From the scrum Wicks cleared to touch at halfway. From their line-out Sidcup kept the ball for five phases before a ball carrier was held up giving Barnes a put-in just inside their half. From the scrum replacement scrumhalf Franklin started an advance that gained them 16 metres with 4 phases then a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 12 metres out. After the line-out, not setting up a driving maul the ball was recycled 9 times mostly close to send no. 8 Napier over half way from the posts to touch at 38 minutes. Wicks converted.

The restart didn't go 10 metres; from the scrum on halfway Napier made yards before feeding Franklin who made more before passing to O'Toole who made most to go to the posts. Wicks made it 5 out of 5 before the whistle.

Dry, overcast mostly, not cold, a little varying wind; the pitch good

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: 1x1 rip

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors