Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Tunbridge Wells
Sat 9 Sep 15:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

A step forward

5 Tries for Barnes who nearly kept a clean sheet.

Barnes scored early after stealing the first line-out then the subsequent attack got them a penalty. A line-out and drive resulted in their first 7 points. The next minutes or so were fairly even with Barnes showing an advantage in the set scrums. Then fly-half Wicks sent Tunbridge back into their 22 and clearing kick after the line-out set up another opportunity for Barnes’s pack to drive over again towards the end of the first quarter. Tunbridge responded well for most of the next 15 minutes then an error at their line-out gave the opposition three-quarters a chance to shine. Another stolen line-out stopped an attack by the visitors before halftime.

Another very good kick from the fly-half sent Tunbridge back close to their line early in the second half. They defended two line-outs and drives but were then pushed off their ball in a scrum for Barnes to get the bonus point try. Their last one came at the start of the fourth quarter from forward pressure. Rain after halftime made the conditions more difficult and the final quarter had many errors from both teams. Tunbridge finished strongly and got a try 3 minutes before the end.

Full Report :-

Barnes soon returned the visitors’ kick-off; Tunbridge had the first run and got the first penalty after a couple of phases and they kicked for a line-out 27 metres from their opponents’ line. That was stolen and Barnes’ forwards drove from it into the other half before going wide and making more ground. Five recycles later the defence was penalised just outside their 22 in centre field and Barnes chose to go for a line-out and drive. The line-out was less than 6 metres out and from it the pack drove over with flanker Smyth on the ball at 4 minutes. Fly-half Wicks added.

The home team returned the restart with an up-and-under; Tunbridge soon did the same. Barnes went wide then were intercepted after 3 more phases. Tunbridge almost immediately dropped the ball giving Barnes the put-in at the first scrum at 7 minutes, 18 metres inside their half. From that they kicked for territory and after receiving a return kick, put the third one out on the full for a Tunbridge line-out 9 metres inside their half. They retained this one and a breakaway forward made ground before Barnes were awarded a penalty at halfway. The kick took them to just outside the 22 where the line-out was incorrectly judged to have been not-straight. Under pressure at the scrum, Tunbridge released to centre then chipped over after recycling once. They regained the ball and advanced then kicked well to touch after recycling twice. The opposition fullback took a quick throw-in to himself and sent a good clearing kick into touch 4 metres from halfway. The following line-out was not-straight! This time it was the home team’s scrum that was under pressure and their scrumhalf was caught. They retained the ball and recycled 6 times eventually making 8 metres before an error gave a scrum to their opponents. Barnes got a free-kick at that and their forwards ran the ball; after 3 phases Wicks chipped to touch 18 metres from the visitors’ line. From that Tunbridge cleared to touch 14 metres from halfway then from the line-out Barnes went immediately wide to the far side making good yards. After one close recycle they were awarded a scrum 14 metres out. This went down a few metres ahead and resulted in a penalty against the visitors. From the 5 metre line-out the forwards drove over wide-out with prop Ryan on the ball after 18 minutes. Wicks added.

Tunbridge regained their shorter restart and put together 5 varied phases before kicking ahead. Barnes replied with a high kick; Tunbridge kept the ball for 7 phases before the defence was penalised. This was at the opposition 10 metre line in centre field and fly-half Reynolds kicked for the points but missed. After the long 22 drop-out Tunbridge ran the ball back well with 5 phases to get another penalty 9 metres into Barnes’ half and kicked for a line-out 9 metres out. From that their pack started a drive then recycled tight twice after that went down. This got them a penalty 5 metres out and they chose another line-out. This was thrown long and Barnes got the ball then went wide. The home team made good ground and recycled once before an error gave the visitors a scrum 18 metres inside their opponents’ half. From that they went wide and broke through; after a very good defence tackle they were penalised 5 metres out. Barnes’ kick didn’t find touch and Tunbridge ran the ball wide before being turned over after one recycle. Barnes Kicked high after a couple of close phases; three kicks followed with little retention in between. Barnes had made ground but the last kick was dropped backwards. From a long distance away the Ref. said otherwise and Tunbridge got a put-in almost 10 metres into the opposition half. From that they recycled close twice then wide where they lost possession. Advantage was played and Barnes made ground before being forced into touch 4 metres from halfway. Counter-rucking after the line-out got them the ball again and they broke through out wide before being forced into touch at the 22. The visitors’ line-out was thrown too long and Barnes made yards before recycling once then sending the ball wide for outside centre Cornish to send fullback O’Toole comfortably over wide out at 33 minutes. The fullback’s conversion kick sent the ball like a bullet through the posts, with gravity seeming to have little effect until past them.

The restart was followed by two up-and-unders that Barnes regained, then they were penalised at their 10 metre line. The kick took the visitors to their opponents 22. After an injury that took time to be dealt with the line-out was stolen; Barnes soon tried another up-and-under that Tunbridge dealt with. They went wide before they were forced into touch 16 metres inside the opposition half. From the line-out Barnes’ forwards drove into the other half then broke blind and kept the ball for 10 phases before dropping the ball. The Ref. then blew for halftime.

The second half started with several kicks, the last of which by Wicks, sent the visitors back to a defensive line-out 5 metres out. They soon cleared to touch 19 metres inside their half; Barnes went wide from their line-out then advanced with 6 more phases to get a penalty 12 metres out that took them to a line-out 5 metres out. Defending the drive was penalised and resulted in another line-out 5 metres out. Tunbridge held the drive and Barnes released to centre where the ball was dropped after a tackle. The visitors’ scrum, 5 metres out, was pushed back and Barnes got the ball to send Ryan over for his second at 6 minutes. O’Toole added.

The high restart resulted in a scrum for the home team 18 metres inside their half; the outcome of that was a penalty against Tunbridge and being sent 10 metres further back. The kick took Barnes to 18 metres into the other half. The ball was first kept in from the line-out then released to centre. A half-break and two recycles followed before the opposition forced an error and got the ball. They kicked long and chased well; Barnes broke through well at centre after a couple of recycles and got to less than 6 metres out where the defence forced an error to get the put-in. From that, after a no.8 pick-up, Tunbridge cleared to touch only 13 metres out. Barnes’ forwards started a drive that the visitors defended well and it was they who got another scrum, 6 metres out. But they forced back and caught in possession behind their line. From their 5 metres scrum Barnes released to centre but soon after they were turned over. Tunbridge cleared with an up-and-under that Barnes dealt with then kept the ball for 5 close phases to get a penalty 30 metres out and a man advantage for 10 minutes. This after a quarter of an hour and the kick gained them 16 metres. Their drive from the line-out broke up after some yards then the pack recycled close twice before the defence got a put-in 8 metres out when the ball did not emerge from a ruck. The visitors were penalised in the scrum and another one was chosen; this was repeated then from the scrum replacement back-row Hinds broke of to score at the posts at the start of the final quarter. The fullback kicked his third.

Barnes returned the restart with an up-and-under; Tunbridge ran wide for 4 phases before an error gave Barnes a scrum 16 metres into the opposition half. A good kick after that forced the visitors into touch 5 metres from their line. Now they stole a line-out and they kicked ahead after recycling twice. Barnes had the ball for a couple of phases before they were forced into touch just outside the 22. From the line-out Tunbridge went wide then 3 errors with almost no possession in between preceded a Barnes scrum after the visitors had gained 40 metres. After the scrum Tunbridge lost another man for 10 minutes and the kick took Barnes to just inside their opponents’ 22. They soon sent the ball wide through several hands after the line-out before the defence forced an error to get scrum 29 metres out. Tunbridge got a free-kick at that, which they ran then chipped ahead after recycling twice. They forced another error after Barnes had the ball for a couple of phases; the home team dealt with another chip through and kept the ball for 7 phases before kicking directly into the hands of an opposition player. Tunbridge were then forced into touch 5 metres into the opposition half. They dealt with the up-and-under that followed the line-out and soon got a penalty near halfway. The kick took them to the 22; the ball was first kept in their line-out then a forward broke off to make good yards and get a penalty 8 metres out. They ran this and flanker Pengelly got over near the posts at 37 minutes. Fly-half Reynolds converted.

Tunbridge attacked out wide from the restart and got a penalty just past halfway and a good kick took them to 8 metres out. Their line-out was stolen before the final whistle.

Dry at the start with 95% white cloud; warm with some wind, that did not influence the game; rain started at halftime but did not last.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Crab Football

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors