Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 8 Apr 15:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

This looked like Barnes of old ...


but against a team that has gone through a long bad patch since the end of January

Barnes score 3 tries in the 1st 1/2 when they had wind advantage; 1 early on and 2 in the last 3rd of the 1/2. Early in the 2nd 1/2 Canterbury got their 1st score - a penalty. Barnes continued to do well in the 2nd 1/2 until at about 17 minutes good opposition defence prevented a possible 4th try. Canterbury started to look stronger and got their try with about 10 minutes to go putting them 9 points behind. With just less than 7 minutes to go they kicked a penalty to get a losing bonus point.

The visitors kicked off with the advantage of the wind; kicks followed to the hosts' advantage and leading to the first line-out for them just outside the opposition 22. From that they kept the ball for 7 phases then a near-intercept gave them the first scrum put-in 28 metres out. They released to centre where the ball was dropped 3 metres ahead. From their scrum Barnes brought their fullback into the line early and soon chipped ahead then hacked the ball on to the other 22. Canterbury got the ball and cleared to touch 14 metres from halfway. From the line-out the visitors' inside centre broke through then after one recycle the defence forced an error to get a put-in 7 metres out. Canterbury cleared to touch 29 metres out; from their second line-out Barnes went wide and recycled wider to get a penalty just outside the 22 in centre field. They kicked for their 3rd line-out 7 metres out; after only just securing it their forwards advanced to the line with lock and captain Collins getting over at 9 minutes. The conversion was missed.

Canterbury regained their high restart and varied their recycling for 5 phases until their opponents forced an error to get the ball. Barnes made ground out wide and after a couple of phases their fly-half kicked deep into the 22 and into touch less than 6 metres from the opposition line. Canterbury recycled twice from the line-out before kicking for territory. Barnes ran the ball then a pass was dropped and illegally picked up; the kick took Canterbury to 10 metres into the other half. From that they advanced at centre to get another penalty 8 metres ahead. They ran this but dropped the ball and Barnes got it and ran wide, almost all the way, before being forced into touch 5 metres out. From the over-thrown line-out Canterbury kept the ball close for 3 phases before clearing to touch 15 metres out. They stole the line-out and launched an up-and-under. Barnes got the ball and put together 8 mostly close phases before putting the ball into touch 7 metres from their opponents' line. Now they stole a line-out and advanced to the line where they were turned over. Canterbury then recycled once then again wide to the blind side and broke clear to the other half. After one recycle the defence got a scrum 28 metres from their line. From that they soon kicked to the line for a 22 drop-out. They ran the ball and not making much ground kicked to touch at the 22. Canterbury released to centre then recycled 3 times to get a penalty some metres ahead. The kick took them to 4 metres past halfway. This was thrown too long and the visitors got it and launched a long up-and-under. This resulted in a scrum for Canterbury 9 metres from their own line. From that they soon went wide sent their fullback breaking through to the other half where kicks were exchanged. This resulted in a line-out for home team 4 metres inside their half. From that they went wide with the fullback in the line and advanced before recycling twice then being penalised at the opposition 10 metre line. The kick gained them 26 metres then after their line-out they had the ball for 5 phases without advancing and got another penalty 4 metres back. The kick took then to almost 5 metres out from where their drive went down but they recycled tight to put Collins over again at 27 minutes. The conversion by fullback O'Toole from wider out than before was successful.

The restart resulted in a penalty for the visitors 16 metres inside their half; the kick gained them 21 metres. A good tackle in midfield resulted in a scrum for Canterbury near halfway. From that they made ground at centre before being turned over. Barnes only had the ball for a couple of recycles before kicks were exchanged to the oppositions' advantage. The second went into touch 3 metres outside the visitors' 22. Barnes secured the line-out then launched an up-and-under that the opposition dropped. Advantage was played and the visitors recycled 3 times before flanker Steele broke though and fed wing Carlisle who ran to the line wide-out at 33 minutes. The conversion was wide, leaving the score at 0 - 17.

Barnes dealt with the restart and the fullback started an attack that ended with a forward pass that ended after 5 phases with a forward pass 14 metres into the opposition half. Canterbury went wide from the scrum and made 8 metres to a scrum for Barnes. Another error soon after that gave the home team the 3rd put-in at the same place. Again they went wide then they recycled close 4 times before being turned over. This was immediately followed by a penalty for Barnes 3 metres inside the opposition half. The Ref. advised no time left and O'Toole tried for the 3 points and was unsuccessful before the whistle.

The visitors dealt with the restart and soon returned an up-and-under. Canterbury got the ball and made good ground before a near-intercept gave them a scrum 9 metres into the opposition half. From that they advanced 11 metres with 3 phases to an opposition penalty. The following line-out was at halfway and from it the visitors soon passed forward 9 metres back. From the scrum Canterbury made a bit less than 10 metres with 2 phases to get a penalty near centre field and fly-half Best kicked the points after 5 minutes.

Canterbury kicked back the restart and the visitors kept ball in hand for a good set of 6 phases before being forced into touch 18 metres from their opponents' goal line. The visitors dealt with an up-and-under soon after the line-out and ran the ball wide before an error gave Canterbury a scrum 26 metres from their line. From that they advanced strongly into the other half with a very good set of 6 phases before kicking to touch 11 metres from Barnes' line. The visitors got a penalty at a maul soon after their line-out and kicked to touch 8 metres from halfway. After the line-out a big up-and-under went to the other 22; Canterbury ran the ball out before an error gave Barnes an attacking line-out 29 metres out. After it they kept the ball for 11 phases but without advance before their scrum 18 metres into the opposition half. From that they made a few metres before a scrum for their opponents at which Barnes were awarded a free-kick. They ran this then were soon turned over; Canterbury chipped through after 2 recycles. This was followed by a penalty for the visitors 26 metres out that was kicked for a line-out 10 metres out. An attempted drive gained another penalty 8 metres out and a line-out 5 metres out. The defence was good and got the next scrum put-in 5 metres out. After it they launched an up-and-under that Barnes ran back to another opposition scrum at the 22. From this centre Murray broke out to the other 22 after the ball was recycled twice. After 4 more recycles a ball carrier was held up giving the visitors a put-in at their 22. From the scrum they soon kicked to touch 15 metres from halfway. Canterbury advanced from their line-out with 5 phases before losing possession. Barnes recycled 3 times before clearing to touch 19 metres from halfway. Canterbury's line-out resulted in their scrum and was soon followed by their penalty 16 metres out. The kick took them to 5 metres out and their pack drove over wide-out from the line-out with prop Kenny on the ball at the half-hour. The conversion missed.

An error at the restart gave the visitors a scrum 14 metres into the opposition half. After it Barnes were forced back while recycling 3 times to a Canterbury scrum at halfway. From that they advanced out wide with a couple of phases to get a penalty 20 metres into their opponents' half and Best kicked the points after 33 minutes. The last restart resulted in a scrum for Canterbury and from it they advanced well keeping the ball for 6 phases until the opposition forced an error to get the ball. Barnes kicked for territory and Canterbury ran back putting together 8 good phases before being forced into touch 26 metres from the visitors' line. The line-out was stolen and 5 more phases put together before Barnes won a turnover and put the ball into touch for the final whistle.

100% blue sky with some wind reducing the temperature; the pitch hard.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – February: Henley Hawks RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors