Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 25 Mar 15:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

Two key moments determined the outcome …

- a scrum just before halftime and Cinderford’s response to Barnes’ 1st try in the 2nd 1/2. In addition the home team often demonstrated an advantage at breakdowns.

In this, like the previous game against Bury St Edmunds, Barnes competed well, yet again did not gain any points. Only 3 teams in the league have a better home record than Cinderford, who in their home games have lost only to Redingensians other than the teams in the top 4.

Cinderford kicked off with the advantage of the strong wind. Barnes kept the ball for several phases, including regaining an up-and-under, until their opponents forced an error to get the first scrum put-in. After that and recycling twice, a very good chip through by Cinderford was sent into touch 5 metres from the visitors' line. Barnes secured their line-out and got a penalty just after it. They ran the penalty in their 22, went wide and recycled twice before a bit of magic from their fullback started an excellent break-out from one 22 to the other. Near their 22 and centre field Cinderford were offside after 5 minutes; Barnes chose to go for the 3 points and the wind took the ball just wide. After dealing with the long 22 drop-out, the visitors kept the ball in hand recycling 5 times before launching an up-and-under. Cinderford dealt with this and soon chipped through the line into the 22. Barnes kept the ball for 7 phases then got their first put-in just outside their 22. Under pressure at the scrum they were turned over after it; Cinderford put together 6 mostly close phases to get a penalty 20 metres out, not far from the posts, after 11 minutes. Fullback Moffat kicked the points.

The visitors regained their restart then were soon turned over; the home team went wide and made good ground before the Ref. went back for a penalty against the visitors 11 metres inside Cinderford's half. The kick gained 29 metres; Barnes stole the line-out then soon went wide and recycled 4 more times before having an up-and-under nearly charged down. Cinderford got the ball and advanced putting together 8 varied phases before being penalised for not releasing just inside the opposition 22. The visitors kicked for a line-out 11 metres from halfway and after it launched an up-and-under. Cinderford got the ball and kicked to the 22 after recycling 3 times. Barnes recycled twice close then went wide and advanced a bit; after recycling once more close an error sent then scrabbling backwards and the opposition got the ball close to the line then a penalty there. Cinderford put the ball into touch for a 5 metre line-out; their pack set for a drive and the visitors backed away then engaged later, preventing a maul. At the ruck, close to the line, the defence was awarded a penalty. This was kicked for a line-out at the 22. From the line-out Barnes recycled close 3 times then sent a high kick to touch 12 metres from halfway. From this line-out Cinderford kept ball in hand for 8 varied phases with 3 significant advances to get close to the line and their 5 metre scrum. They kept the ball in and advanced then were awarded a penalty. Another scrum was chosen and their no. 8 Evans picked up and went over closer to the posts at about 26 minutes. Moffat added.

Cinderford were soon back in their opponents’ half, returning the restart with a long high kick. Barnes ran the ball wide before being turned over. After a Cinderford error the visitors were penalised and the home team advanced after kicking for a line-out. They passed forward near the 22; Barnes kept the ball from their scrum for a handful of phases without much advance then were intercepted with the interceptor running to the posts before being recalled by the Ref. for offside. Barnes worked their way back to halfway before an error trying to regain it giving the home team a scrum 4 metres inside their half. After several phases the visitors were penalised; from the line-out 28 metres out, more good retention got Cinderford another penalty at the 22. Barnes stole the next line-out 8 metres out and this was followed by their scrum 6 metres out. Their pack was pushed off the ball and after 5 recycles scrumhalf Frame got over near the posts. The half ended after Moffat's conversion.

The long second half restart resulted in a 22 drop-out by the home team. The visitors ran the ball back for 5 varied phases before they had the ball ripped off their ball carrier. Cinderford kicked ahead; Barnes ran the ball then were forced into touch 28 metres out. From the line-out they recycled 3 times before kicks were exchanged that resulted in another line-out near the same place. From that one they worked their way to halfway and got a penalty there; their kick took them to 30 metres out. They kept the ball close from the line-out for several phases before breaking through at centre then kicking for territory. Barnes had a kick charged down and this resulted in a scrum for Cinderford 14 metres from their opponents' line. This was followed by Barnes conceding another penalty when the attackers went wide. The kick took them to 6 metres out where the line-out was stolen. The visitors cleared to touch 15 metres out then stole another line-out. A scrum for Barnes followed from which they broke out wide; after 3 recycles scrumhalf Reeves broke close to a ruck and a couple of passes sent fly-half Williams-Davies to the posts after 11 minutes. The fullback added.

The visitors returned the restart with an up-and-under; Cinderford then ran to score within 2 minutes; they had broken through after 5 phases then recovered from a near interception before wing Goatley went to the line wide out. The fullback added.

Again within 2 minutes there was another try, this time for Barnes. Soon after the restart Cinderford launched a long up-and-under; Barnes ran wide with wing Carlisle making ground then the fly-half sending centre Butler to the line. Fullback O'Toole added the last points of the game.

After the restart the visitors regained their up-and-under and recycled 3 times before chipping over. Cinderford dealt with this and kept the ball for 7 phases. Kicks were exchanged, the second too long, going dead and resulting in a scrum back for the hosts 9 metres into the other half. An error after the put-in gave possession back to the visitors. This was soon followed by their scrum 5 metres inside their half. They made it to halfway with 4 phases and got a penalty there; this was kicked to 30 metres out. From the line-out they made a few more metres by recycling 5 times and got another penalty. The next line-out was 7 metres out. This was followed by another penalty and another line-out there. Barnes kept the ball for 9 phases to get another penalty a metre back. The following line-out was less than 6 metres out. Next after 4 recycles they were turned over and their opponents cleared to touch 24 metres out. The visitors threw a quick line-out and ran the ball. After 6 phases the defence forced an error to get a scrum 15 metres out. Cinderford tried an up-and-under from the scrum. Barnes got the ball and put together their best sequence of phases of the game, before being turned over. Cinderford soon cleared to touch 13 metres out. The visitors tried to drive for the line; the defence held to get a put-in 9 metres out. From that and 3 recycles they cleared to touch 15 metres from halfway. From this line-out Barnes kept the ball for 8 phases before being turned over again. Cinderford soon launched an up-and-under that Barnes dropped 8 metres inside their half. The home side got a penalty after recycling once following the scrum. They kicked for a line-out just outside the 22. From there their pack started a drive and advanced; when it went down they recycled 4 times then Barnes got loose ball before their last error finished the game.

Bright and sunny with the wind reducing the temperature; the pitch mostly firm.

Up your game with easyfundraising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors