Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 11 Feb 14:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

The Rams'' forwards take over after early errors


Barnes' backs unable to make up the difference

Redingensians' errors marked the early minutes; Barnes took advantage of these and early in the 2nd 1/4 had a 12 point lead. Later in the first half the visitors changed the game with forward pressure. That led to the sin-binning of an opposition lock which resulted in the Rams ending the half with a 2 point lead then more early in the 2nd. Later when the Rams had a man yellow carded 8 mainly unforced errors meant that Barnes did not score from that advantage. A late try did give Barnes a bonus point.

Barnes kick-off resulted in their scrum just outside the 22. After it and 3 phases they got another without having advanced. From the second 8 phases sent lock Crane over at the corner at 3 minutes; the conversion was wide.

They returned the restart with an up-and-under that the opposition dropped. Barnes got the ball and went to the line again with Crane at the same corner. The conversion from fullback O'Toole hit a post and stayed out.

They kicked back the restart and soon got the third scrum near halfway from another error. After this centre Hersey made ground then the ball was recycled and kicked to touch 18 metres from the visitors' line. With their first possession the Rams kept the ball tight before launching an up-and-under that they regained. After going wide they dropped the ball for the 4th scrum 11 metres inside their half. From this Barnes soon kicked into the 22 and the Rams returned with a better kick to touch near halfway. Another kick followed before the visitors kept the ball, recycling close 4 times, before another error just inside their half. Barnes soon kicked again, this time to touch 12 metres out. After the line-out the Reds seemed to be turned over but the opposition was penalised. The kick took the visitors to 13 metres from halfway; two up-and-unders followed their line-out. Then they ran the ball to get another penalty 17 metres into their opponents' half. This was put into touch for the next line-out 15 metres out. Now their pack set to drive to the line; this broke up then went down and they got another penalty 5 metres out and opted for another line-out. Again a drive that was initially held before flanker Vooght broke off to go over wide out at 18 minutes. The conversion missed.

Three kicks followed the restart with little retention in between before a Barnes' line-out 16 metres into the opposition half. From that Barnes release to centre then recycled 5 times before chipping through the line. The Rams kicked back before Barnes sent a very good kick into touch 9 metres from the visitors' line. The line-out was thrown not-straight and resulted in another for the opposition. The Reds were penalised for bringing the driving maul down and there was another line-out 5 metres out. Again Barnes drove for the line and soon the Ref. went to the posts to award a penalty try at 24 minutes. O'Toole added.

The score was now 17 - 5; after that the game was changed by the visitors. Barnes cleared the restart to touch 14 metres from halfway; from the line-out the Rams put together their best sequence of phases thus far, 9 in all, mostly going wider than previously until an error gave possession back to Barnes near their 22. They kept the ball for a couple of close phases without advancing before getting a penalty. The kick took them to 4 metres from halfway. There the visitors got a free-kick for the line-out throw being delayed. The Rams chose to have a scrum and in that they very quickly were awarded a penalty. This was kicked for a line-out 28 metres out from where their pack started a very good driving maul. It did break up then go down after which the ball was recycled tight twice and the Ref. signalled another penalty. A race after a chip through / over was won by centre Bryant near the posts at 32 minutes. Fly-half Atkins added.

After the restart Redingensians regained their up-and-under; they broke blind after recycling twice then recycling 4 times. Barnes hacked ahead a loose ball; the Rams recovered in their 22 and launched another up-and-under. Barnes dealt with it then were penalised soon after for not releasing and the kick took the visitors from halfway to just inside the 22. The drive from the line-out got to 11 metres out where Barnes lost their remaining key line-out jumper (after a previous injury and replacement) for 10 minutes. From the 5 metre line-out the pack drove over with hooker Henderson on the ball wide-out and a very good conversion from Atkins gained the lead before the early halftime whistle.

Barnes secured the second half restart and soon cleared to touch, not far, 27 metres from their line. This time the visitors drive didn't get going but their forwards recycled close 4 times before being released to centre then one pass sent centre Souter to the posts at 2 minutes and Atkins added. The Reds returned the restart with an up-and-under; Barnes kept the ball for 4 phases before having a kick charged down. The visitors got it and kicked into their opponents' 22; they soon got another penalty. This at 5 minutes and having already scored 4 tries they kicked for the 3 points. While Barnes were down to 14 men, Redingensians had gained 15 points and the deficit was now 12 points.

The Rams kicked back the restart and an error gave them a scrum 4 metres past halfway. An error soon after that gave possession back to Barnes; they put together 7 phases to advance to the 22 and get a penalty and a man advantage for 10 minutes. This should have helped Barnes get back into the game; instead the next period of play was notable only for 8 errors by Barnes and no points while they had the extra man advantage.

The penalty kick after the sending off gained them only 7 metres then they had the line-out stolen. The visitors cleared to touch just past halfway. From the next line-out Barnes released to centre then recycled twice to get a penalty 12 metres into the opposition half. Their kick did not go into touch and the ball was cleared to 26 metres out. From the next line-out their forwards set up a very good drive and got to 8 metres out. They did not go further, instead they chipped to line; the defence touched down for a 22 drop-out. The drop-out was long and Barnes were caught in possession and turned over. The Reds put together 5 phases before chipping over; this resulted in a penalty against them 18 metres into the opposition half. Their kick gained Barnes 24 metres then from the line-out they recycled 5 times before kicking into the 22. This was easily marked and was cleared to touch at halfway. The visitors tapped Barnes' line-out ball backwards then recycled 3 times before launching an up-and-under. Barnes dealt with that and went wide then dropped the ball. At the scrum 5 metres into the other half the Rams got a penalty. The kick took them to 17 metres out and from their line-out they kept the ball close for 4 phases before the defence forced an error. At Barnes' scrum 19 metres out they got a free-kick that they ran then kicked ahead; an error gave them another scrum 14 metres into the other half. After that one they soon went wide and passed forward. From their next scrum the visitors went blind and got a penalty 4 metres ahead. Their good kick took them to just outside the opposition 22 then from the line-out they put together a set of 8 phases but not advancing before passing forward 26 metres out. From the scrum Barnes kept the ball for a couple of phases before kicking to touch 15 metres into the other half. Soon after the line-out the Rams tried an up-and-under; Barnes dealt with that and kept the ball for a couple of phases before getting a penalty back 11 metres inside their half. The kick gained them 17 metres then, right after the line-out and releasing to centre, an error gave the visitors a scrum back 2 metres into the other half. They pushed Barnes' pack back to get a penalty 5 metres ahead. The kick took them to 8 metres out but their line-out throw was not straight. Barnes from their line-out soon tried an up-and-under. Redingensians got that and recycled close 3 times before going wide and kicking towards the line. Barnes recycled 3 times then launched an up-and-under. The Rams got the ball and quickly sent it wide and replacement scrumhalf Lloyd went to the corner at 74 minutes. Barnes though that they had forced him out but the try was given. An excellent conversion from Atkins followed.

The restart was soon followed by an up-and-under from the visitors. They regained after Barnes dropped that and kicked for territory. Barnes ran the ball back with 6 phases before being turned over. The Reds went wide then kicked to Barnes' line resulting in a 22 drop-out. This was taken short and was soon followed by a penalty against the Rams. Barnes ran the ball and broke out strongly all the way to the opposition 5 metre line where the defence forced an error to get the last scrum put-in. They Rams were penalised at the scrum and Barnes chose to have a 5 metre line-out. From that they tried to drive before no.8 / replacement lock Crossland broke off to go over near the corner. The conversion missed before the final whistle but Barnes did have a four try bonus point.

100% overcast, dry, damp & cool, some wind; the pitch soft.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors