Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 28 Jan 14:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

Redruth very efficient in attack and defence

(this was not a defeat by a steamroller pack; Redruth had 3 wing tries and made other good breakthroughs)

Barnes received the kick-off and kept the ball for a handful of phases before kicking. Redruth then made their first breakthrough that was stopped 14 metres from the opposition line. Barnes got out of their half momentarily then defended for the rest of the first quarter. After 15 minutes Redruth advanced from their scrum at the opposition 22 to get a penalty 5 metres out. This was soon followed by another; the third one resulted in the award of a penalty try together with a yellow card at the start of the 2nd quarter. Fullback Rule added.

The visitors dealt with the restart then a mistake and a penalty against them started Barnes' first attack. This got to 7 metres out where a penalty for not releasing allowed Redruth to clear up to halfway. Next they came away from an opposition scrum with the ball and made the second major breakthrough. Then from the 22 four phases with two significant advances got no. 8 Marriott over near the posts at 29 minutes. Rule added again.

Redruth kicked the restart back well and Barnes kept the ball for 14 phases advancing until the defence forced an error to get a put-in 16 metres out. From the scrum their third breakthrough got to the other 22 and recycling wide sent wing Vinnicombe over wide out at 25 minutes. Rule added again for 0 - 21. The last minutes of the half were even.

Barnes started the second half better and a yellow card took them to their line-out 10 metres from the visitors' line. That was stolen; two kicks and a turnover sent Barnes back to their defensive line-out 10 metres out. They worked their way back to the other half and got to 14 metres out where the defence got a penalty after their scrum. Another penalty was run wide from near halfway to get within 10 metres of Barnes' line. Four close recycles enabled Marriott at the blind side to send wing Ducker to the corner where he reached over to score after 18 minutes. The conversion missed.

After the restart and errors from both teams Redruth regained a chip over to make another very good break and advanced close to the opposition line. The defence got a line-out 5 metres out. They were forced back over their line and the visitors got a 5 metre put-in. This was followed by a penalty then a line-out; 5 recycles, the last blind, sent Ducker to the corner for his 2nd at 27 minutes. A very good conversion by fly-half Taylor was the final score.

Barnes regained from the restart and kept the ball before their scrum 27 metres out. They got a free-kick at that and ran it to get a penalty 14 metres out. Again they ran only to be penalised for not releasing 6 metres out. Redruth kicked for a line-out after which Barnes soon got a scrum and another free-kick at that. An error attempting to run the ball gave the visitors a scrum at which they were penalised. Barnes kicked for an attacking line-out 19 metres out. Immediately after it they were turned over. Barnes ran again after Redruth kicked; an error after 5 phases led to the Ref. blowing the final whistle rather early.

Dry, bright, not cold, some varying wind; the pitch soft-ish.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors