Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 22 Oct 14:30 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

The Ram's forward dominance -


wears down Barnes in the 2nd half.


Throughout the game Redingensians demonstrated very good retention. Barnes were regularly penalised, the Rams seldom. Much of the difference was due to forward dominance at scrum, driving maul and breakdown. Up to halftime The Rams' forward dominance gained them their points. Barnes had defended well and two opposition errors led to their tries which gave them the lead.

In the second half the visitors did not score; in the third quarter Redingensians kicked their penalties to take a 7 point lead. Early in the final quarter a very good run from his own half by their early try scorer Corrigan preceded his second. Barnes responded well before their first attack of the half was stopped. At 70 minutes the Rams cleared a second attack by Barnes before setting up their own last attack that gained their third try before the whistle.

Full report

Barnes replied to the kick-off with an up-and-under; the Rams then kept the ball for 7 mostly close phases before kicking into the 22. Barnes cleared to touch past their 10 metre line. From the line-out Redingensians soon broke through at centre to the 22. They recycled twice wide to get a penalty 27 metres out and kicked for a line-out 8 metres out. Starting with a drive that Barnes struggled to defend they got to 1 metre out then recycled twice more close then once wide then went blind and wide for wing Corrigan to go over at the corner at 3 minutes. A very good conversion from fly-half Chandler followed.

Some light rain started, which only lasted a few minutes. The hosts kicked back the restart; Barnes kept the ball for 7 mixed phases before being turned over. After some advance the Rams were penalised for not releasing 7 metres into the other half. Barnes' kick gained them 16 metres then from the line-out they recycled 3 times before dropping the ball without having advanced. The Rams kept the ball in the scrum and advanced 5 metres to get a penalty that they kicked to touch 17 metres ahead. An error setting up a drive gave the opposition the next scrum. From that inside centre Butler broke the line before another scrum, this time to the Rams at halfway. From that they kicked to touch to 25 metres from the visitors' line then stole the line-out. Next they started a drive then put together 10 very good phases advancing to the 22 where a high tackle gave them another penalty. They kick took them to a line-out 7 metres out. From it good retention and recycling through 9 more phases got them another penalty 17 metres out in centre field. Barnes had defended well and the home team decided that Chandler should kick the points at 15 minutes.

After the restart the Rams kicked back for territory. The visitors ran the ball; they were turned over after recycling twice. Redingensians kicked long and Barnes cleared to touch just into the other half. From their line-out the Rams went wide then recycled blind; they were intercepted by hooker Alteirac who ran unopposed the 45 metres to the line wide out at 17 minutes. The conversion was wide.

Barnes cleared the restart to touch at their 10 metre line. The Rams set up a drive from their line-out and made good ground then recycled 3 times before Chandler sent a good chip towards the line. The defence got back for a 22 drop-out. This was allowed to go into touch 11 metres from halfway. From the line-out the Rams did not start a drive and they recycled 3 times without advancing until the opposition forced an error to get a scrum put-in. From that the visitors went wide to the blind side and recycled a few times before kicking into the opposition 22. The defence cleared to touch 30 metres out; from their line-out went wide and recovered from an error to get a scrum several metres back. Under great pressure at that they got the ball away and kicked into the 22. Redingensians got the ball but almost immediately dropped it. Barnes got it and recycled twice to put the ball into the hands of fullback O'Toole. With men outside him and a show-and-go he backed himself to go on a diagonal run to the line wide out at 35 minutes. His good conversion took the lead.

After dealing with restart Barnes soon passed forward 14 metres from their line. Following a second scrum put-in the Rams kept the ball in and advanced then broke blind and advanced further then recycled 3 times to get a penalty 7 metres out. They kicked for a line-out 5 metres out that the opposition stole. Barnes tried an up-and-under after recycling twice. The Rams kept the ball for 5 phases before an error gave possession back to Barnes. They broke out running and with just a few phases got all the way to 29 metres from the opposition line where the defence forced an error to get the next scrum. From that the Rams went wide then recycled mostly close three times before losing possession again. Barnes put together 4 phases; 4 kicks followed, the last by Redingensians out on the full. From the line-out 6 metres into the opposition half Barnes released to centre and advanced before kicking. They ran again after the ball again after the ball was kicked back. The Rams forced a turnover after a couple of opposition recycles then kicked. The visitors ran wide before being penalised for not releasing near halfway. They kick took them to just outside the 22. From their line-out the pack kept the ball in and advanced before releasing. After a half break the ball was dropped 20 metres out. After the scrum Barnes two kicks followed; the second marked in the 22. Barnes tapped and ran out of their 22 to get a penalty 15 metres from halfway. The touch kick gained them 14 metres then from the line-out they put together 9 phases advancing to just inside the 22 before they were penalised. This was reversed and the opposition lost a man for 10 minutes for unnecessary retaliation. The kick for the points missed before the halftime whistle.

Barnes were penalised at the opposition 22 after their restart. The Rams kicked for a line-out then drove from that to get another penalty at halfway. The second kick took them to 26 metres out. Their pack drove again to get a put-in 14 metres out. The ball was kept in a first then released before they were penalised 12 metres out. The visitors kicked for a line-out 28 metres out. Barnes launched an up-and-under; two more kicks followed then the Rams ran the ball an recycled 5 times with a good break at centre in between to get a penalty 17 metres out in centre field and Chandler kicked the points to retake the lead at 6 minutes.

Redingensians returned the restart with an up-and-under; the visitors kept the ball for 5 phases before kicking to the 22. The Rams now kept possession for 7 phases before they kicked long. Barnes cleared to touch to 30 metres from their line. From the line-out the Reds went wide then recycled 3 times close before going wide again. They lost ground before an error gave the visitors a scrum 11 metres inside their half. They kicked then forced an error to get another put-in 8 metres into the other half. From that they went wide before being penalised at the first breakdown. The Rams kicked for a line-out some metres into the other half then drove well from their line-out to get a penalty 29 metres out near touch after 13 minutes. Chandler's kick for the points was very good.

Again the restart was replied to with an up-and-under; this time the visitors dropped the ball. From their scrum a few metres into the opposition half the Reds kept the ball for 3 phases before losing possession. They forced a turnover after Barnes had had the ball for 4 phases. They recycled 3 times before kicking to touch 10 metres from Barnes' line. They regained from a bad Barnes' tap and advanced to 3 metres out before recycling 3 more times to get a penalty and a man advantage for 10 minutes at 18 minutes. Again Chandler took the points, now for a 7 point lead.

Two up-and-unders followed the restart before Redingensians kept possession and put together a good sequence of 5 close phases to advance from their half to the other 22 where the defence was penalised. Barnes ran the ball and recycled 4 times before passing into touch 25 metres out. From their line-out the visitors soon launched an up-and-under. The Rams ran the ball back and Corrigan set off on a long run from his half through the opposition; a chip ahead seemed to hit the bottom of a post for him to regain then score at 23 minutes. Chandler added.

Prop Wakeford regained Barnes' shorter restart; with a couple of recycles Butler and wing Carlisle made ground until forced into touch 10 metres out. The Reds advanced from their line-out before clearing to touch 9 metres inside their half. The line-out was thrown long and the opposition got the ball and advanced with 5 phases to another Barnes' line-out 13 metres into their half. From this the visitors put together a much better sequence of 10 mixed phases until they were intercepted. They soon forced a turnover and advanced recycling and retaining well again through 9 phases until the defence forced an error to get a scrum put-in 9 metres out. The Rams kept the ball close for 5 phases before launching an up-and-under that the visitors dealt with. The ball was run back but soon dropped outside the 22. Barnes were penalised at the scrum and the kick took the Reds to near halfway. The visitors got the ball at the line-out and advanced to an opposition scrum 18 metres into the half. From that Redingensians recycled 8 times before being turned over. Barnes then recycled 7 times getting into the 22 where the defence forced an error and regained possession that was cleared to touch at their 10 metre line. They stole the line-out, kept the ball in for a drive, then went wide and broke through until the visitors defence held to get a put-in 14 metres from their line. From the scrum Barnes went wide and put together 5 phases before a pass was dropped 30 metres out. The Rams went directly wide from this final scrum and wing Rossiter seemed to score easily wide out. Chandler added again.

Dry at the start, bright with not much wind on a rough pitch.

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Henley Hawks
London Irish WG


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors