Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 15 Oct 15:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

Tough match against one of most expensive teams ...


we've ever competed against, full of players who've played in higher leagues.


The visitors scored their first try from receiving the kick-off with two driving mauls and a penalty in between before going wide from 14 metres out. For the next fifteen minutes or so Barnes defended well until under pressure at their line they conceded a penalty try. A couple of errors by Chinnor gave Barnes two opportunities to throw the ball about from which they scored tries before the half-hour and take the lead. They continued strongly before Chinnor regained an up-and-under then two breaks got them their third try just before halftime.

After receiving the second half restart Chinnor's fullback broke through out wide and passed for their fourth try. Advantage from exchange of kicks had the visitors attacking again then pushing Barnes' pack off their own ball led to another try. An interception and conceded penalties preceded Chinnor's next try.

After that the visitors were penalised twice in succession and After a 5 metre line-out fly-half Williams-Davies chipped over for O'Toole to chase and touch down behind the posts at the start of the final quarter. The visitors' no. 8 had a good long run down the touchline for a try. Two more penalties in succession set Barnes' bonus point try scored by Captain Collins.

A heel against the head and a dummy sold by their fly-half got the visitors their second last try. Next they kicked back the restart and won a turnover then a handful of phases gave the final try to one of Chinnor's props before the final whistle.


Full Report

The visitors secured the high kick-off and immediately set up a rolling maul and advanced to 11 metres in the other half. A penalty there was put into touch just inside the 22 then another drive started from the line-out. This went down 14 metres out then the ball was sent wide for wing Barnes to cross at the far corner at 2 minutes. The conversion missed.

Barnes forced an error soon after the restart to get a scrum 26 metres from Chinnor's line. Under pressure they got the ball away and went wide putting together a set of 5 phases before the defence forced an error to gain possession. They soon kicked; Barnes ran the ball wide recycling 4 times until Chinnor forced an error to get a scrum put-in 16 metres inside their half. After the scrum they kept the ball close for 4 phases before a very good breakthrough at centre. Barnes' defence just held to get a scrum 5 metres out, from which they cleared to touch 25 metres out after recycling close twice. Again Chinnor started a drive; when this went down they didn't control the ball. The opposition got it and moved up to 9 metres from halfway to a Chinnor scrum. The visitors' pack kept the ball in and advanced to get a penalty that they kicked to touch 5 metres out. The line-out was thrown not straight; Barnes chose another and got a penalty at that then cleared to touch just outside their 22. After the subsequent line-out they launched an up-and-under; Chinnor went wide and put together a set of 6 mostly wide phases before the defence forced an error to get a scrum 26 metres from their line. After that they soon kicked for territory; Chinnor replied with a better touch kick that took them to 13 metres out. Barnes' pack kept the ball in from their line-out and tried to drive; this was held giving their opponents a put-in 11 metres out. Their drive got close to the line then a Barnes player hacked the ball still in the scrum. The Ref. ran to the posts to award a penalty try at the end of the first quarter that was converted by fly-half Hopkin.

Barnes stayed in the opposition half after the restart. Chinnor replied to a Barnes kick ahead with a much longer one and Barnes had to clear to touch just outside their 22. The line-out was thrown not straight and another was chosen. From that an up-and-under was let bounce by the visitors who did regain the ball and went wide but then lost possession. Barnes got it and wing Hudson and centre Hersey sent fullback O'Toole over not far from the posts at 27 minutes. He added.

Barnes secured the restart and launched another up-and-under that bounced and eluded the opposition. Barnes got the ball and put it swiftly through several hands for flanker Smyth to finish at the posts 2 minutes after the previous try. Again O'Toole added.

Barnes continued strongly after the restart with play mostly in the opposition half until Chinnor forced an error and got the ball not long before halftime. They regained their up-and-under after 7 phases and went wide to break through to their opponents' 22. Recycling 5 times and they recovered from a poor pass then centre Fatialofa broke through a tackle, running from the 22 to score wide out. A good conversion from Hopkin preceded the whistle, making the score 14 - 19.

Barnes soon kicked back the second half restart; the visitors' fullback Castle ran the ball breaking through and sending centre Goss to the line hardly more than a minute from the restart. Hopkin added.

There was a lot of kicking after the restart, with the visitors gaining the advantage. This resulted in a line-out for Chinnor 13 metres out. The defence held to get a scrum not far from their line. After the second put-in the visitors pushed and took the ball against the head and no. 8 Messum went over at the posts at 9 minutes. Hopkin added.

Barnes stayed in their opponents' half after the restart with some good possession until they were intercepted; Chinnor broke out to the other 22 and got a penalty 18 metres out. They chose a scrum, got another penalty then chose another put-in. From that 4 close phases sent flanker Waddingham over near the posts at 16 minutes. Two more points from Hopkin.

Chinnor secured the restart and recycled twice before the opposition forced an error. Advantage was played and Barnes put together 4 phases to get a penalty 13 metres out. They kicked for a line-out 6 metres out and from that 2 phases got them another penalty then another line-out 5 metres out. At first the pack kept the ball then it was released to fly-half Williams-Davies who chipped over for O'Toole to chase and touch down behind the posts at 22 minutes. He added.

Barnes kicked back the high restart; Chinnor kept the ball and recycled 5 times before the opposition forced an error. Three kicks followed leading to a line-out for the visitors 5 metres into the other half. From it they advanced putting together 4 phases before setting Messum free to run along the touchline to score at the corner at 26 minutes. A very good conversion from Hopkin followed.

Chinnor cleared the restart to touch at halfway. From their line-out Barnes' backs ran the ball well to get a penalty at their opponents' 22. The kick took them to 7 metres out. They were forced back from the line-out but got another penalty 14 metres out. The next line-out was 5 metres out; at first the ball was kept in then it was let out and recycled once blind for lock Collins to get over near the corner at 32 minutes. Another very good conversion, this again from O'Toole, followed.

After the restart the visitors dropped an up-and-under then won a turnover before getting a penalty at halfway. They kicked for a line-out 30 metres out. Their pack set for a drive that was held and gained the opposition the next put-in. This was taken against the head by Chinnor's pack; a dummy by Hopkin then a pass to centre Armitage allowed the latter to score away from the posts at 76 minutes. Hopkin added with another excellent kick.

The visitors kicked back the restart then soon won a turnover; they went wide put together a handful of phases for Armitage to send prop Price over at the posts. Hopkin's 8th conversion followed before the whistle.

Dry, bright and sunny, some wind at the start increasing later; the pitch good.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors