Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Taunton Titans
Sat 17 Sep 15:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

1st 4-try bonus point this season -

- but no losing one

The home team started with the advantage of the wind. The visitors replied to the kick-off with an up-and-under that the opposition dropped. Taunton then put together an impressive set of 21 phases, to get a penalty close to the try line (very good defence held until then). It was kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. This was stolen and cleared to touch 20 metres out. The second line-out was also stolen. Barnes kicked for territory; Taunton ran the ball back, kicking after recycling twice. Barnes kicked again; the visitors ran the ball then at the next breakdown they were penalised 8 metres inside their half. This after 5 minutes and fullback O'Toole kicked for the points. This went close but not over. Barnes dealt with the high 22 drop-out and recycled 3 times, once close then going wide to set wing Sagar off running. He kicked over in the 22 and the bounce favoured him to touch down wide-out after 7 minutes. O'Toole added.

The home team dealt with the high restart and recycled twice close to get a penalty that was kicked for a line-out at their opponents' 10 metre line. They recovered from a tapped ball and soon chipped to touch to 27 metres out. Taunton secured the line-out and launched an up-and-under then won a turnover. After they released to centre good defence got Barnes the first scrum put-in at their own 10 metre line. Their pack was under pressure at this and was pushed off the ball. Taunton advanced a few metres before the defence forced an error to get another scrum deep in their half. At this they got a free-kick and ran the ball; after 3 phases they kicked to touch to 12 metres from the opposition line. From the line-out Taunton first kept the ball in then were penalised after a ball carrier broke around. The kick took Barnes to their line-out 5 metres out. Their pack did not attempt to drive over but recycled close then a bit wider and got close then recycled again to inside centre then tried to drive over. They got to the line where the defence held to get a 5 metre scrum. Taunton were caught in possession behind the scrum but got away an up-and-under. The opposition dealt with this then almost immediately were awarded a penalty 27 metres out not far from the touchline. O'Toole kicked the points before the end of the first quarter.

Barnes secured the restart then had a clearing kick charged down; they recovered and cleared to touch at their 22. From the line-out the visitors released towards centre twice then switched play before being turned over. Barnes kicked up field; Taunton ran the ball back and broke through after 3 phases then recycled twice more to get to 2 metres out. One more sent wing Popham over at the corner at 23 minutes. This from going wider rather than keeping ball in the forwards. The conversion was wide.

Kicks were exchanged after the restart before the visitors were forced into touch 26 metres out. Barnes launched an up-and-under from the line-out; Taunton kept ball in hand and recycled 6 times before the defence forced an error to get a put-in 16 metres inside their half. They got a penalty at that, while under pressure again. They kicked for a line-out 9 metres into the other half. From that they put together 6 mostly close phases before popping the ball into the hands of wing Martey who went through a hole making 40 metres on a diagonal run before being caught and offloading to centre Hersey to touched down halfway out just after the half-hour. The conversion was blown just wide.

Barnes soon kicked back the restart. The visitors put together 5 phases to get a penalty 5 metres into the opposition half. The kick took them to just outside the 22. From the line-out they varied their recycling with 5 more phases then fly-half Huntley beat the defence in midfield to go over at the posts at 34 minutes. Fullback Kingdom added.

Taunton started to run back the long restart and got a penalty deep in their half after recycling once. The kick left them still 11 metres inside their half but from the line-out they soon broke through going wide then recycled close once and another time switching to the blind side then centre ran from outside the 22 to touch down not far from the posts at 37 minutes. The conversion missed.

Following the restart to the opponents' 22, Taunton's no.8 Prior, who had previously shown signs of his presence, set of on a great run shrugging off opposition until tackled at the other 22. Three close recycles got Taunton to the line; four more then going wide and a good pass to prop Claydon got them their 4th try before halftime, again at the posts. Kingdom added.

Barnes replied to the restart with an up-and-under after recycling close twice. Prior broke through again easily before being tackled 5 metres out. The ball was recycled close 5 times mostly close to get over, but held up. The visitors released from the scrum then lost possession after recycling once. Advantage was played and Barnes broke out of their 22. Three kicks followed then Taunton kept the ball in hand for 3 phases to get a penalty 15 metres out not far from touch and kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. Following the line-out they put together 7 mostly close phases before Barnes hacked on a loose ball. This resulted in a Taunton scrum at the 22; they got a penalty at this and Kingdom kicked the points at 7 minutes.

The visitors secured the high restart before being forced into touch 17 metres inside their half. From the line-out Barnes went wide to get a penalty a few metres back and kicked for a line-out well into the 22. Their pack set for a drive that mostly went sideways; a forward broke off and after advancing then recycling close 3 times replacement flanker Malaney forced the ball onto the line under the defence from a few inches out. This at 11 minutes; O'Toole added.

Following the restart a couple of kicks and a couple of fumbles led to a scrum for the visitors a few metres inside their half. The opposition were penalised at that and the kick went into touch just outside Barnes' 22. The line-out was stolen; the ball was kicked then run back before a Taunton line-out at the 22. From it 4 phases got them a penalty just inside the 22 in centre field at 17 minutes and Kingdom took the points.

Taunton returned the high restart with an up-and-under; after a couple of recycles by their opponents they forced an error to get a scrum 9 metres into the other half. Their error then gave Barnes a put-in from which they chipped through to touch outside the visitors' 22. The line-out resulted in a scrum for Taunton at which they got a free-kick. After 3 kicks and a bit of running the next put-in was for Barnes 28 metres from their line. After a no.8 pickup Hersey sent Martey off on a good attack that ended with a penalty for not releasing after one recycle. This was 16 metres into the other half. The kick gained Taunton 34 metres but they had their line-out stolen again. Next they dealt with an up-and-under before an injury resulted in their put-in 11 metres inside their half. A few phases saw them advance before being forced into touch 14 metres into the opposition half. Barnes put together 6 phases then tried an up-and-under; Taunton kicked to the try line. From the 22 drop-out the visitors ran the ball back; Barnes held a ball carrier up to get a scrum just inside their 22. At this one they got a penalty and kicked to 7 metres from halfway. A strong tackle at centre after the line-out got the visitors another scrum 2 metres inside the opposition half. From that, one good pass set Kingdom off on a 40 metre run to touch down at the corner for the visitors 6th and last try at the half hour. The conversion missed.

Taunton secured the restart but immediately lost possession; Barnes got the ball and advanced putting together 7 mixed phases to get a penalty 5 metres out. They ran this to get another close to the line and then opted for a 5 metre line-out. Their pack set for a drive and at the second attempt got over with flanker Smyth on the ball wide-out with 5 minutes to go. The conversion was wide.

Two kicks after the restart resulted in a Barnes' scrum 13 metres inside their half. They were forced back 7 metres to another. From this one they kept the ball for 7 phases, without advancing until Taunton grabbed a loose ball and they advanced recycling 5 times before being penalised 7 metres out. Barnes ran the ball from there and soon passed forward in their 22 before the whistle

Windy, dry, overcast, the pitch firm.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors