Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Bishop's Stortford
Sat 3 Sep 15:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time Attendance 120

Stortford gained maximum points from the game but not full satisfaction for their efforts.

Barnes, with little possession, struggled to attack but defended strongly to get a losing bonus point.

The visitors' kick-off was followed by several kicks before the first penalty was awarded to Barnes when they had the ball. A second soon after, 11 metres into the opposition half, was chosen to have a go for the 3 points. This after 3 minutes; the strong varying crosswind took it wide. From the drop-out Barnes put together some good phases then recovered from a near intercept. Stortford stole a line-out but were almost immediately penalised and the kick took the home team to their line-out 12 metres out. This was thrown long and almost secured by the visitors. Some momentary chaos ensued before Barnes' fly-half William-Davies slipped through the defence to touch down near the posts at 7 minutes. Fullback O'Toole added.

Kicks followed the restart and preceded a Stortford line-out. They got their first penalty, attacking and kicked to just outside the opposition 22. A turnover and a kick bouncing off an opposition player then a touch kick enabled Barnes to get up to the other 22. Stortford stole the line-out after that one in their half and started their best attack thus far. Starting with 3 recycles, a good offload made the breakthrough then 3 more recycles sent prop Edwards over at the corner at 16 minutes. The conversion was wide.

Kicks again followed the restart and the visitors were soon back in the opposition half. After little continuity Stortford forced a turnover near Barnes' line and got over near a corner but were judged "held-up". The defenders were penalised at the 5-metre scrum then held the second one. Stortford then released the ball and recycled twice close and got over the line again but were turnover. Barnes ran the ball behind their line then cleared to touch just outside their 22. From the line-out the visitors put together a very good sequence of phases to get a penalty 16 metres out near centre field. The kicked for a line-out 6 metres out and their pack set to drive for the line. This broke up but the ball was recycled tight for no. 8 Banks to go over wide-out at 24 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The visitors secured the restart then regained an up-and-under before kicking to touch into the other half. A mistake by Barnes setting up a maul gave their opponents a scrum put-in at which Barnes were penalised. The kick took the visitors to a line-out 6 metres out. Their drive went down 3 metres out; the ball was recycled mostly tight 6 times before the defence was penalised. Stortford kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. Initially forced back in the maul they advanced before the ball was recycled to Edwards to get over for his second at 32 minutes, again wide out. The conversion again missed.

The visitors cleared the restart to touch; Barnes threw the line-out long and not-straight. From their scrum Stortford launched an up-and-under. A knock-on gave Barnes a scrum after which they were turned over. The visitors put together another good attack from their half with more than a dozen phases to again get close to their opponents' line. The defence was penalised 6 metres out and lost a player for 10 minutes with 2 minutes to go before halftime. Stortford opted for a 5-metre line-out and after it their maul broke up. They recycled twice close before being forced into touch near the line at the half-time whistle.

The visitors caught the long second half restart then dropped the ball gifting the opposition a scrum 5 metres out. From that Barnes released to centre then recycled 4 times to get a penalty 5 metres out near the posts and this reduced both teams to 14 men 2 minutes into the half. O'Toole kicked the points.

Light rain then started; earlier at kick-off it had been dry and bright but overcast. After the restart there were 4 kicks to touch and 4 line-outs, all in Barnes' half. Following the last of these at the 22 the visitors dropped the ball in midfield then 3 kicks were exchanged. Defending, Barnes lost another man for 10 minutes for deliberately knocking the ball down. The kick took Stortford to their line-out at their opponents' 22. An error in midfield gave the defence a put-in outside the 22. They were awarded a penalty at that and kicked for a line-out, still in their half. After it they regained an up-and-under and got another penalty 16 metres from the opposition line near centre field after 2 recycles. This after 10 minutes and O'Toole kicked the points.

Following the restart there were lots of kicks with play mostly in Barnes' half until Stortford forced a turnover then advanced strongly to get a penalty just outside the opposition 22 in centre field. This was kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. This was stolen then the ball was cleared to touch at the 22. From that the visitors released to centre then recycled twice without advancing to get a penalty 30 metres out at 16 minutes. They decided to kick for the 3 points but missed.

After the long drop-out Stortford ran the ball before kicking into the 22. Barnes cleared to touch 24 metres out. From their line-out the visitors went wide and quickly broke through then recycled once to the blind side for centre Neville to go over at the corner for the bonus point try before the end of the third quarter. The conversion again missed.

Three kicks followed the restart before the visitors were penalised near halfway. The kick took Barnes to 30 metres out where they didn't secure their line-out and the opposition got a put-in. Kicks were exchanged after the scrum; Stortford advanced with a couple of phases before their errors gave Barnes an opportunity to break out which they failed to take. From their scrum Barnes kicked ahead and regained before being forced into touch at halfway. From the line-out the visitors released to centre then recycled 3 times before the defence forced an error to get a scrum put-in 6 metres inside their half. After it they kicked out on the full; Stortford started a driving maul from the 10 metre line and when this went down they kicked into the 22 where it was marked. Following the kick Stortford put together a very good set of mostly close phases to get well into the 22 while outside the 22 a long fight was going on. The Ref. reduced both teams to 14 for the second time in the game and awarded a penalty to Barnes. This was kicked for a line-out at halfway that the opposition stole. Stortford recycled twice then they kicked out on the full in their half. From the line-out Barnes put together 6 phases with the centres staying close and got the next scrum without advancing. After that they recycled 8 times mostly close while trying to get wider before passing forward for the final whistle.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51
16. Exmouth 30 29

Team sponsors


Club sponsors