Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Cornish All Blacks
Sat 6 Feb 14:30 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

5 match points against the League's bottom club

6 tries, no penalties with the opposition failing to score

The visitors secured the kick-off and soon kicked ahead; two more kicks followed before the first line-out for the home team at their 10 metre line. From that Barnes' pack at first kept the ball in then scrumhalf Franklin broke blind and sent wing Carlisle down the touchline to score wide-out at 2 minutes. Fullback O'Toole added a good conversion

Barnes kicked back the restart and Launceston ran it back strongly before recycling twice before the defence forced an error to get the first scrum put-in 28 metres from their line. Again they went blind and after 3 recycles O'Toole broke through. The All Blacks won a turnover then got the second scrum at almost the same distance from their line as the previous one had been from the opposition's. Barnes were penalised soon after and the kick took the CABs to their line-out 9 metres into their opponents' half. From the line-out they put together 9 mostly close phases then the opposition hacked a loose ball back to the visitors' 22. Cornish got to the ball first and recycled twice before clearing to touch just outside their 22. They stole the line-out and launched an up-and-under; Barnes deal with this and ran the ball wide but only to another line-out for the visitors at their 22. After that they quickly tried another up-and-under; Barnes ran wide and straight away made ground through the hands. After a recycle lock Collins made more ground to 4 metres out then another recycle to Carlisle got to 2 metres out. Barnes were penalised for not releasing; Launceston's long kick didn't find touch. Barnes ran the ball back and after one recycle centre Holmes broke through the defensive line and two passes sent flanker Stanton over not far from the posts at 13 minutes. O'Toole added.

Barnes returned the restart with an up-and-under that resulted in a penalty against them 12 metres inside their half. The kick took the visitors to their line-out 14 metres from the opposition line. They got another penalty at that kicked for another 5 metres out. This one was stolen then they were penalised close to the line. Barnes ran their penalty; after 3 recycles Holmes broke through to half way and Launceston were penalised a few metres into their half. The kick took Barnes to a line-out at the 22. From it they immediately went wide then after 3 recycles they lost possession but the opposition were soon penalised for not releasing 11 metres inside their half. The kick led to a line-out 9 metres out from which the pack drove over wide out for the third try with flanker Popham on the ball at the end of the first quarter. The conversion missed.

Barnes secured the restart and ran the ball wide; Collins made a break before an error gave the CABs a scrum 12 metres inside their half. The home team's pack got a free-kick at the put-in and they ran the ball. After two close recycles Barnes went wider and after 3 phases they were intercepted and Launceston ran away into the opposition 22 where they in turn were intercepted. Barnes cleared to touch 23 metres out then from the line-out the visitors varied their phases, recycling 4 times without advancing before getting a penalty. The kick took them to their line-out 15 metres out. This was stolen and resulted in a scrum for the defence. From that no. 8 Crossland fed Holmes who broke the line; several passes put the ball into O'Toole's hands and he finished at the posts at 28 minutes then added the extras.

The restart resulted in a scrum for the visitors 26 metres from their opponents' line. From it they broke blind and recycled close 5 times before the defence forced an error to get put-in at their 22. After an under-pressure scrum they recycled twice tight then cleared to touch 9 metres into the other half. The line-out resulted in another scrum for them at the same place. From this they went wide and Carlisle made a half-break that got them a penalty that was kicked for a line-out at the 22. Soon after Launceston won a turnover and kicked long; Barnes kicked back to touch 17 metres into the CABs' half. They stole the line-out and advanced to get a penalty that was kicked for a line-out 18 metres out. This was stolen by the visitors who then made a bit of ground before being penalised. The next line-out was 9 metres out and the pack tried for a drive to the line. This went sown 5 metres out and the second recycle went wide before a ball carrier was forced into touch 3 metres out. Launceston advanced close from their line-out then launched an up-and-under; Barnes ran the ball wide then recycled close before being penalised for not releasing 10 metres out. The kick only got them to 17 metres from halfway then from the line-out they first kept the ball close then recycled wider. Barnes outside centre Cornish nearly intercepted but couldn't hang on to the ball before the halftime whistle.

Barnes had their 4 try bonus point and had perhaps started to relax as there would be half an hour before the fifth try.

The home team returned the second half kick-off with a high up-and-under. Launceston dealt with this but an error soon gave the opposition a scrum near halfway. They kept the ball in and advanced a couple of metres to get a penalty. The kick took them to a line-out 18 metres into their opponents' half. The visitors tapped the ball into touch a few metres back then got a penalty after the next one for wrongly setting up a drive. They kicked for another one at halfway but the opposition's no. 8 got that. Barnes recycled twice before they got a penalty 8 metres into the CABs' half. They ran this one and recycled twice to get another penalty just outside the 22 and also a man advantage for 10 minutes. The kick didn't take them far, to just inside the 22; their pack set for a drive that didn't get far. After it went down they put together 9 phases before Launceston hacked on a loose that went into touch off an opposition player. This was 7 metres inside their half and from the line-out the All Blacks quickly went wide but immediately lost possession. A break by the fullback got Barnes to the 22 where the ball was dropped in a tackle 15 metres out. They got a free-kick at the scrum and ran it, going blind, and got the next scrum put-in 6 metres out. First going wide then back to the forwards they got to the line but were judged 'held-up'. The visitors got the ball after pushing the opposition back at the following scrum. Launceston then created their best attack with 8 phases to get a penalty just past half way which they ran. The defence forced an error just inside their 22 and got a penalty and kicked to touch 6 metres inside their half. From their line-out Holmes broke through but a less than perfect pass gave the visitors the next scrum on halfway. They got a penalty at that and kicked for a line-out 25 metres from Barnes' line. Their forwards kept the ball from that and advanced before going wide and losing the ball. A Barnes' player hacked it on but they were penalised at their 10 metre line. Launceston ran the penalty with 4 phases until defence forced an error and got the next scrum at their 22. Barnes got the ball away then recycled twice tight then once wide, sending wing Greenwood away to the far posts before the end of the third quarter. The fullback added.

Barnes soon kicked back the restart; Launceston ran the ball and put together 6 phases before launching an up-and-under that they regained then kicked again to touch 30 metres from the opposition line. From the line-out Barnes advanced a few metres to get a penalty; their kick didn't find touch and the visitors tried another up-and-under. Barnes dealt with this and put together 4 phases before passing forward near halfway. At the scrum the home team were pushing the opposition for a change. A loose ball was hack ahead and into touch 5 metres from the visitors' line. Collins stole the line-out and the pack drove over with replacement prop Remfry on the ball at 67 minutes. A good conversion from the fullback followed.

Barnes dealt with the high restart and kept the ball in hands, with 4 phases, until the opposition forced an error to get a put-in 18 metres into the home team's half. Launceston lost the ball at this scrum and Barnes recycled twice before counter-rucking got the ball back for the CABs. They recycled 3 times before chipping through the line. Barnes recycled twice before kicking to touch at halfway. From the line-out the visitors advanced 10 metres to an opposition scrum. From this Barnes went wide but backwards to another put-in at their 22. At this scrum they first kept the ball in then released to their backs who threw the ball about, running 3/4 of the pitch until the defence forced an error to get a scrum 7 metres from their line. Under pressure at that Launceston kicked long; Barnes threw the ball around before dropping it. Advantage was played, the visitors kicked, Barnes ran again before chipping through. Launceston ran out of defence and recycled 3 times before kicking long again. Barnes kicked; the visitors ran and put together 8 phases before the opposition forced the last error for the whistle.

Dry, extremely windy, cool & overcast but bright; the pitch dry but a bit soft.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Old Albanian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Worthing 30 69
11. Chinnor 29 68
12. Barnes 30 66
13. Clifton 30 64
14. Dorking 30 55
15. Southend 30 46
16. Cornish All Blacks 25 10

Team sponsors


Club sponsors