Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 5 Dec 14:30 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

This seemed to be won by the team that wanted it most.


With 12 minutes to go the scores were level.

For most of the first half Chinnor, playing against the very strong wind, looked in control of the game yet ended the half 5 points behind. A yellow card helped Chinnor regain the lead in the 3rd quarter. In the second half Chinnor did have control and scored 13 more points than Barnes. Chinnor won by a converted try and one penalty. Barnes did get a 4 try bonus point

Barnes kicked off with the advantage of the wind; Chinnor made the first mistake giving the visitors a scrum 16 metres out at which the home team demonstrated their power. Barnes got the ball away and varied their recycling through 9 phases including a break by prop Galvin through but eventually they were forced back to a scrum for Chinnor 28 metres out. They kept the ball in the scrum but were then penalized; Barnes ran the ball with fullback O'Toole sending wing Cottenden away. The ball was recycled 6 metres out then again before the Ref. went back to award a penalty 10 metres at centre field on 4 minutes and O'Toole kicked the points.

The wind blew the restart kick back so that it did not reach 10 metres when it was caught by Chinnor, but play was allowed to continue. They recycled twice before fly-half Hopkin made a good break that resulted in a penalty for his team 25 metres from the opposition line. They ran the ball and recycled twice before an error gave the defence a scrum 9 metres out. Barnes kicked ahead from that and the ball was run back at them. Chinnor went wide and varied their recycling through 8 times before kicking ahead. Barnes got to the ball and cleared to touch after recycling it once. The line-out was 9 metres inside the visitors' half. From it Chinnor put together a very good set of a dozen phases before the ball was knocked on by a defender 5 metres out. Barnes held the scrum and forced the opposition back; Chinnor recycled close twice then went wide before an error gave the visitors a scrum 12 metres out. Barnes were penalised at this and Chinnor kicked for a line-out 6 metres out. The drive was held then Chinnor recycled 4 times close and lock Oliver got over at 15 minutes. The conversion was wide.

Chinnor secured the restart and recycled 3 times before being penalised 26 metres out. Barnes kicked for a line-out 5 metres out. Their pack drove for the line and over but the Ref. said 'help up' and the visitors got a 5 metre put-in. They recycled from this 7 times before chipping over; this was comfortably dealt with by Chinnor's fullback. The defence recycled 3 times before Hopkin made a break and the ball was recycled 3 more times before the opposition forced an error at the 10 metre line. Chinnor pushed Barnes' pack back and got the ball; they recycled 5 times close before another break by Hopkin. After another close recycle an error gave the visitors a scrum 13 metres inside their half. Again Chinnor got the ball at their opponents' put-in and sent their inside centre through the defence. The ball was dropped and Barnes cleared to touch 14 metres into the other half. From their line-out Chinnor's pack kept the ball in and moved forward then scrumhalf Goodfellow broke close to the pack and ran more than half the pitch to go over wide-out at 25 minutes. The conversion hit the post and stayed out.

Chinnor secured the restart and ran the ball; they recycled once close then once wide and broke through before kicking ahead into the other half. Barnes dealt with this and ran the ball back to the opposition 22 with 2 recycles. They were forced back but got a penalty 13 metres into Chinnor's half for a high tackle. They kicked for a line-out at the 22; the wind drifted the ball and it was stolen. Chinnor then put together an excellent sequence of 11 phases. The defence forced an error and got the ball which they kicked ahead. Chinnor ran the ball back and after 2 recycles went wide then an offload sent flanker Manning to the line at 31 minutes. The conversion missed.

Chinnor secured the restart and varied their recycling through 5 phases. A line-out was signalled which Barnes took quickly and released to centre. Away went wing Lewis; he seemed to be caught but was off again to the corner to touch down at 34 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The restart didn't go 10 metres. The visitors got a penalty at the scrum back at halfway. This was kicked for a line-out 12 metres out. They tried for a drive to the line which broke up before hooker Alteirac took the ball and went over at 38 minutes. Again the conversion was wide.

Barnes secured the restart and recycled four times before they were intercepted. Chinnor made good yards then the defence forced an error after one recycle. Barnes countered with a few recycles sending fullback O'Toole to the posts. The whistle followed his conversion.

After no tries in the first 34 minutes Barnes had scored 3 tries in the last 6 for a 5 point lead but with the strength of the wind that didn't look enough.


The visitors secured the high restart and kept the ball close before they got a scrum 16 metres from their line. From that they moved a few metres forward to an opposition put-in at the 22. Chinnor went wide from that and recycled 5 times before losing possession. Barnes also went wide and recycled 3 times but unable to advance then got a penalty 12 metres out. They ran this to get another at the 22, and ran again. A high tackle gave them a third penalty 29 metres out. Again they ran wide but unable to advance with result being an opposition line-out back at the 22. Chinnor's pack kept the ball in then released to centre; this got them a penalty 16 metres out. They kicked for a line-out 5 metres out.

This resulted in their scrum put-in at the same place. The defence held and after scrumhalf Goodfellow tried to go himself the visitors were penalised and lost a man for 10 minutes. Chinnor ran the penalty to get another 5 metres out and chose another scrum at which Barnes came away with the ball. The visitors recycled 3 times without advancing before being forced into touch, still 5 metres out. They stole this line-out and tried to go wide but were turned over. Chinnor recycled 3 times close then sent the ball wide for fullback Heath to steamroller over tacklers to go over wide-out after 13 minutes. A very good conversion from Hopkin followed.

Chinnor kicked back the restart; O'Toole kicked and regained; this resulted in a penalty for the visitors at their 10 metre line. They kicked for a line-out not far into the other half. The ball went into touch a few metres ahead then they stole the next line-out. They advanced with the ball keeping it close until penalised for not releasing just outside the 22. Chinnor ran this but almost immediately dropped the ball giving the opposition a scrum 19 metres into the half. Barnes got the ball away under pressure; they recycled close 5 times before their opponents forced an error and got the ball. It was recycled twice then kicked long; too long and dead, giving the visitors a scrum back 12 metres into the opposition half. They lost this scrum but soon got the ball back at an opposition error and went wide. Recycling once close then once wide, wing Cornish was set free and made lots of ground. But the defence was good and he was caught and this resulted in a line-out for the defence 13 metres out. Barnes stole the line-out and varied their phases to open up the defence with some brilliant three-quarter play including a break by O'Toole that led to Cornish going over at 23 minutes to retake the lead. The conversion attempt hit the post and stayed out.

Barnes secured the restart and recycled close twice before being penalised for not releasing 17 metres inside their half in centre field and Hopkin took the points 2 minutes after the opposition try making it 25-all.

Chinnor secured the restart and soon kicked long; an error got them possession and they next recycled 7 times with 2 breaks to get a penalty at the opposition 22 and Hopkin retook the lead at 29 minutes.

Chinnor kept the ball after the restart for 2 phases before kicking long again. Barnes ran the ball with centre Butler making a break that led to a penalty on halfway after the ball was recycled once. They ran this and put together their best sequence of retained phases, 13 in all, before being penalised for not releasing then sent 10 metres further back by the Ref. to outside the 22. Chinnor kicked for a line-out just past halfway then recycled close 4 times before going wider. The defence got a penalty at their 22. A mistake in taking the penalty gave the opposition a scrum there and from that they released to their backs and outside centre Adams went through easily to the posts at 35 minutes. Hopkin added

Chinnor secured the restart and recycled 5 times before chipping to touch just 13 metres from the visitors’ line. From their line-out Barnes went wide and Butler broke out of their 22. After 4 phases the opposition were penalised near halfway and Barnes ran again. They recycled 5 times getting to 12 metres from Chinnor's line before being penalised for not releasing then marched back 10 metres for the second time in the match by the Ref. The ball was put into touch for the final whistle. Chinnor's players were jubilant.

Very strong wind, dry and overcast over a firm pitch.

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Old Albanian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Worthing 30 69
11. Chinnor 29 68
12. Barnes 30 66
13. Clifton 30 64
14. Dorking 30 55
15. Southend 30 46
16. Cornish All Blacks 25 10

Team sponsors


Club sponsors