Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Sat 7 Nov 15:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

Efficient Southend -

kept Barnes out of their 22 and scored 3 tries

Conditions: dry, overcast at the start but brightening later; rather windy after earlier rain; the pitch slightly soft but uneven under long grass. Because of the wind both teams kicked much of their possession. Southend's kicking was more effective than Barnes.

The visitors kicked off with the advantage of the wind. They tried and missed for the points from long range when awarded the first penalty at 2 minutes. A very good touch kick soon after that took them to an opposition line-out 5 metres out. Southend cleared comfortably. Nothing significant happened for the next 15 minutes then Southend had a kick charged down but got the following scrum put-in just inside their 22. At this they were pushed back by Barnes' pack and conceded a penalty not far from centre field and fullback O'Toole kicked the points at 20 minutes.

From the restart Southend stayed in the opposition half and not long after were awarded a penalty not far from halfway. They kicked for a line-out just inside the opposition 22 then put together 7 good phases to get another penalty 9 metres out and put this into touch again. From the 5 metre line-out their pack drove over with prop Bevans-Royston on the ball on the ball at 27 minutes. Fly-half Burr converted well.

Following the restart the visitors got a line-out then a put-in in the opposition half. From the scrum their first effective three-quarter move gained them ground before they were penalised when pushing and wheeling a scrum. Southend kicked for a line-out and then had a free-kick awarded against them for taking too long to get the ball, dry it and prepare to throw it in. Barnes ran the ball and got a penalty 24 metres out in centre field and rather surprisingly got a man advantage for 10 minutes for what seemed a minor offence. O'Toole kicked the points at 32 minutes.

Not long after the restart Southend kicked to touch just outside the visitors' 22 then accidentally got the line-out ball. Barnes' defence forced an error, advantage was played and they broke well into the other half until Southend's defence held to get the next put-in deep in their own half. Kicks were exchanged, the second out on the full giving Southend another line-out 12 metres into the visitors' half. From this the ball was kept close and they advanced to get a penalty 5 metres out and put the ball into touch again. Barnes defended the attempted driving maul before the halftime whistle.

Another kick out on the full by Barnes gave Southend a line-out just outside the opposition 22 after the second half restart. This was followed by their penalty at the next breakdown and this took them to another line-out 13 metres out. This time they didn't go for a forward drive but varied their phases, recycling 5 times to get to the line or close. This got them a 5 metre scrum and they were now back to 15 players. After the put-in they kept the ball close, recycling 3 times then sending the ball wide where flanker Fombo touched down at the corner after 4 minutes. The conversion missed.

The next restart was followed by 3 kicks with the last to touch 15 metres from the visitors' line. Southend stole the line-out then this was soon followed by a Barnes' scrum put-in 25 metres out. At that the visitors got a free-kick which they ran and recycled 4 times before the opposition forced an error to get a scrum 5 metres into the visitors' half. Their forwards kept the ball in and advanced 5 metres to get a penalty. Southend kicked for a line-out 13 metres out then that was stolen. An up-and-under gained Barnes a penalty that they kicked for another line-out on halfway. Their pack kept the ball in for a drive before their scrumhalf broke off and they went wide with their best attack. This resulted in their scrum put-in 5 metres out. At this their pack was forced backwards and it seemed as if Southend were to get a put-in but the Ref. went 10 metres up field to award the home team a penalty at the' 22. This was kicked to touch at their 10 metre line. Two up-and-unders followed; the catcher of the second was tackled in the air a fraction of a second before he came back to ground and the visitors lost the tackler for 10 minutes. The penalty took Southend to their line-out 14 metres from the opposition line. From this they recycled 5 times before the defence was penalised for a high tackle 15 metres out and Burr kicked an easy 3 points at 17 minutes.

Soon after the fairly long restart kick it was Southend's turn to kick out on the full giving the visitors an attacking line-out 20 metres out. Barnes released to centre from this then the defence soon forced an error to get a scrum 26 metres out. After this they kicked well to touch to 28 metres from their opponents' line then stole another line-out. They recycled 3 times close before breaking through out wide and recycled twice more to get a penalty for a tackle on a player without the ball near the 22 in centre field for Burr to add 3 more points at 24 minutes.

Two up-and-unders followed the restart then an error gave possession back to Barnes. They recycled mostly close, 6 times, before being penalised at the opposition 10 metre line. Southend kicked to touch to 14 metres into the other half. Another error gave the visitors the next put-in near there at which they got a penalty that was kicked for a line-out at the opposition 10 metre line. This was stolen and Southend launched an up-and-under that for once wasn't properly dealt with. Three turnovers followed then Southend put together 5 phases to get a penalty 18 metres from the visitors' line. They put this into touch for a line-out 6 metres out. The defence held to get a penalty and Barnes ran out of their 22. An error was forced and Southend got the games' last scrum put-in 20 metres into the visitors' half. Barnes were penalised before the ball was put-in and the home team kicked for another line-out 5 metres out from which their pack got over after the drive had been stopped once with flanker Hudson on the ball near the corner with 4 minutes of the game left. The conversion missed.

Southend secured the restart and kept the ball in hand for 3 phases until penalised near halfway. The visitors ran the ball and recycled twice before trying another ineffective chip through. Southend kept the ball for several more phases before putting it into touch for the whistle.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Old Albanian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
10. Worthing 30 69
11. Chinnor 29 68
12. Barnes 30 66
13. Clifton 30 64
14. Dorking 30 55
15. Southend 30 46
16. Cornish All Blacks 25 10

Team sponsors


Club sponsors