Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Barnes Rugby Football Club


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Barnes Rugby Football Club
Sat 23 Sep 15:00 - League Full time

The Real Thing

A Classic Barnes’ Game

Dorking dealt with the home team's kick-off and soon kicked long for territory. Barnes' fullback ran the ball then chipped over the oncoming line. The visitors also dealt with this and recycled twice to their forwards to get the first penalty near halfway. The kick only gained them 10 metres; they went wide from the line-out with the fullback in the line and broke through. The move resulted in another line-out for Dorking, this time 27 metres out. This was thrown long and taken by Barnes; after 4 phases an up-and-under was launched. The visitors got the ball and recycled twice before a kick bounced off an opposition player and they regained possession. After two more recycles a pass was intercepted by centre Cornish who ran down the touch line to come in nearer the posts at 4 minutes. Fly-half Wicks added.

The visitors responded immediately; first they regained their restart then recycled once close and once wide. After a half-break in mid-field and another recycle their scrumhalf Woodcock tried close to the ruck. Next they recycled wide and kicked over the defence's three-quarter line and regained the ball for fullback Pimlow to touch down not far from the posts after hardly 2 minutes. Fly-half Noble converted

For a second time the restart was regained; after 2 recycles and some advance Dorking forced an error to get the put-in at the first scrum 16 metres from their line. From that they kicked for territory; Barnes' backs ran the ball through the hands with the move finishing with wing Scott passing to fullback O'Toole then onto inside centre Butler who was forced into touch 3 metres out. From their line-out the visitors cleared well to touch 7 metres from halfway. From their line-out, Barnes went wide and after 4 more phases kicked ahead to the goal line where the ball was touched down for a 22 drop-out. Barnes ran the ball back with an exceptional set of 15 varied phases that sent no. 8 Hind over not far from the posts at 14 minutes. Wicks converted.

Barnes only just secured the restart then recovered from having an up-and-under charged down; they got another away. Dorking went wide and put together another 4 phases before passing into touch 5 metres inside their half. From the line-out Barnes went wide and recycled 7 times, mostly wide, before the fullback passed to Scott who sent flanker Blamire over wide-out at 18 minutes. An excellent kick from the fly-half made it 21 - 7.

An error receiving the restart gave the visitors a scrum 14 metres into the home team's half. Barnes' pack were penalised at that; Dorking kicked for a line-out 19 metres from the opposition line. The Ref. judged that the line-out was ever so slightly not-straight. After the scrum and two phases Barnes launched a long-up-and-under; they seemed to win a turnover after 2 phases from the visitors but this resulted in a put-in against them at their 22. From their scrum Dorking quickly went wide then recycled once close before going wide again. With the fullback in the line they broke into the 22 and went wide again to get a penalty 16 metres out in front of the posts. They ran that to 2 metres out then recycled wide to send centre MacDonald over at 15 minutes, near the posts. The fly-half added to make the score 21 - 14.

Two kicks followed the restart then the visitors ran the ball to get a scrum 6 metres inside their half. They got a penalty when that was wheeled and they kicked for a line-out 20 metres ahead. That was thrown not-straight; from the scrum Barnes released to centre then recycled to send Scott breaking through. This soon led to their penalty 17 metres out which was put into touch for a line-out less than 6 metres out. Dorking's pack held the drive; the ball popped out of the maul and scrumhalf Franklin broke blind to slide over near the corner after the half hour. A very good kick from Wicks hit the near post and stayed out.

The visitors restarted short and regained; they threw the ball threw the ball through several hands. After 3 phases and 2 breaks the ball was dropped with the line at their mercy. From their scrum 12 metres out Barnes soon kicked for territory. Dorking ran the ball back with 9 mostly close good phases before losing possession at a tackle. Opposition inside centre Butler picked the ball up and ran 70 metres to the far posts at 36 minutes. Wicks added.

Barnes soon replied to the high restart with an up-and-under; they forced an error after the visitors caught that and recycled once. Dorking got a free-kick at Barnes' scrum and their forwards ran the ball. After 4 recycles they kicked long to touch. The opposition fullback threw a quick line-out to himself and kicked ahead. The visitors ran the ball wide; after a couple of phases they passed into touch before the halftime whistle, with the score 33 - 14.

Dorking's high and short second half kick-off resulted in a put-in for Barnes 20 minutes inside their half. They soon launched an up-and-under; the visitors got the ball and kept it for 3 phases before being forced into touch 9 metres into their opponents' half. From the line-out, the forwards first kept the ball then Franklin made a good break before passing to wing Carlisle. The ball was recycled to Cornish then recycled wide again to O'Toole. He sent Cornish away close to touch; the latter then broke a tackle and passed inside back to the fullback and a voice from one of the squad on the touchline, expressed great surprise at the centre having actually passed, before the other touched down at the posts before 4 minutes. The fly-half added.

Barnes dealt with the restart and kept the ball for 7 phases with one real advance and recovering once from an error until the defence forced an error 14 metres inside their half. Dorking got the ball away from an under-pressure scrum and got a penalty 8 metres ahead after recycling once. They ran this and broke through comfortably; after a few passes and a couple of missed tackles, wing Rathbone touched down not far from the posts at 8 minutes. Their fly-half kicked his third.

They continued strongly after that; they returned the restart with an up-and-under then Barnes kept the ball for 5 phases before dropping. From their scrum 14 metres inside their half the visitors put together a very good sequence of 13 phases with two breaks before being forced back but only to their penalty 28 metres ahead. This was put into touch for a line-out 13 metres out that resulted in their put-in at the same place. They were penalised in the scrum and Barnes kicked to 15 metres from halfway. The line-out was judged not-straight and Dorking went wide from the scrum. After recycling and switching play their forwards kept the ball for a short drive that got them another penalty, not having advanced from the earlier line-out. A good kick took them to less than 7 metres out; the line-out was thrown long and the home team got the ball. Barnes soon kicked for territory; Dorking ran the ball, varying their recycling for 6 phases before the opposition forced an error to get the next scrum 11 metres inside their half. From that Butler broke through not far from the forwards and passed. The ball was kicked ahead; the visitors got the ball but straight away an error gave their opponents an attacking scrum 5 metres out. Dorking's pack looked strong but they were penalised at the put-in and Barnes kicked for a 5 metre line-out. From that no. 8 Hind got over for his second at 24 minutes. An excellent conversion by Wicks followed.

The restart did not go 10 metres; from the scrum back Barnes went wide and made a few metres before an illegal tackle lost the visitors a man for 10 minutes. The kick took the home team to a line-out at their opponents' 22. From that they kept the ball for 7 mixed phases to get a penalty 16 metres out then a line-out 7 metres out. The pack drove over from there with Hind on the ball at the half hour. Wicks added from a 45o angle.

Two minutes later they had another try; Hind dealt with the high restart and the ball was sent wide with the fullback in the line sending Cornish away to the corner. The fly-half's conversion hit a post and stayed out.

The restart was returned with an up-and-under; Dorking went wide before kicking out on the full just past halfway. From the line-out the home team went wide and recycled once and were awarded a penalty having gone backwards a few metres. The kick took them to 7 metres into the other half. They released from the line-out, recovered from a couple of errors and advanced with 6 phases got another penalty 17 metres out. The drive from the line-out 11 metres out got over with lock Steele, having moved to the back row, on the ball wide-out at 38 minutes. Wicks' 10th conversion kick, like the 9 previous, did not miss the posts but it was his 3rd that hit a post and stayed out.

Barnes secured the restart and soon went widest and kicked ahead to the opposition line. Dorking ran the ball positively before the whistle

Dry and bright though 95% overcast, some wind; the pitch good.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors