Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match centre

Barnes Rugby Football Club
South Leicester RFC
Sat 29 Aug 15:00 - Friendly Full time

Not the test that was hoped for

Possibly better than at Wimbledon but not enough

South L. could not bring two full squads as previously planned so the 2 games were replaced by 3 x 30 minutes sessions. Some Barnes players did not get a run out.
South Leicester established scrum dominance in the first session. At 7 minutes Barnes were turned over while attacking and the visitors’ backs countered well before kicking long towards touch. Barnes kicked back but did not find touch; missed tackles then gave the visitors their first try at the posts before 9 minutes. After the restart Barnes stayed in the opposition half until a scrum gave the visitors the possession to attack again, kicking towards the corner. Barnes’ defence held and forced the opposition back, but not out of their half. Penalties then took South L. to their scrum 8 metres out from which they went wide and easily over at 25 minutes rounding the defence. Barnes were penalised after the restart and South L. kicked to touch 16 metres into the other half. From the line-out they released to centre then one of their flankers broke away on a curving run before passing to the other flanker who passed not far from the line to his no. 9 who touched down 2 minutes after the previous try.

After a turnover early in the 2nd session South L. put together a very good set of phases then at the first scrum Barnes were the stronger and got a penalty at it. They kicked for a penalty to 6 metres int the other half then from the line-out sent the ball through many hands with 10 recycles to send their wing over at the corner at 7 minutes. Barnes dealt with the restart and broke out. A penalty took them to their line-out inside the opposition 22. The defence stopped the rolling maul and got the next scrum put-in from which they cleared to touch 29 metres out.
After the line-out Barnes kicked to touch 20 metres out. South L. tried an up-and-under that the opposition fielded then recycled 3 times to get a penalty 18 metres inside the visitors’ half. They kicked for a line-out 14 metres out and from that their wings combined to get the second try at 20 minutes. Three kicks followed the restart, the last out on the full by Barnes. After the line-out and a couple of recycles the scorer of the first try of the day broke another tackle and the rest of Barnes’ defence couldn’t touch him. This 4 minutes after the previous try.

South L. dealt with the kick-off of the 3rd session then were kept in their half for the next 15 minutes. After 20 minutes penalties took Barnes to their line-out 15 metres out and their pack drove over from there with their hooker on the ball at 25 minutes. The visitors finished strongly but there was no further score.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors