Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match center

Sat 9 Jan 14:30 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time

Great Comeback from 19 points down


previously Barnes were getting penalised for almost every attempt to go forward

The old bloke who wrote this believed what he saw on the Barnes RFC website for the 1st team KO being 30 minutes after the 2nd team KO, and watched the first 15 minutes of the second team game and so missed the those minutes of the other game. Before the report begins Barnes' scrumhalf Franklin had gone over at 6 minutes for a try wide out which was not converted.

At 15 minutes on the scoreboard clock the visitors broke out from their 22 to 8 metres into the other half and an opposition scrum. Worthing attacked strongly from that, going wide to get to 9 metres from Barnes' line where the defence forced an error to get the next scrum put-in. From that inside centre Holmes made a break; it was taken on and recycled then kicked ahead to the line; Worthing dealt with that for a 22 drop-out that was exceptionally well kicked to touch deep into the other half. Barnes took a quick line-out before an error preceded a penalty for Worthing 24 metres out at 30o from the posts and fullback McLean kicked the points at 19 minutes.

Worthing cleared the restart to touch; the line-out resulted in a Barnes' put-in 13 metres inside their half. The visitors soon kicked ahead then an opposition error gave them another scrum 8 metres into the other half. After the scrum they recycled tight 3 times before releasing wider. Worthing turned over an isolated three-quarter and soon kicked long for territory. Barnes cleared to touch 16 metres inside their half. From the line-out Worthing's pack started a drive and got to the 22 where the defence got the next scrum. From this they immediately went wide and broke out of their half before being penalised for not releasing 15 metres into the other half. This after 28 minutes.

Worthing kicked to touch to 11 metres into their opponents' half. From the line-out they varied their phases to get another penalty 5 metres out. They chose to have a scrum, having previously been able to push the opposition pack back at scrums. At first they kept the ball in then recycled tight 8 times before no. 8 Perkins got over near the posts just after the half-hour. McLean added.

Worthing secured the restart and recycled once; Barnes were then penalised. The kick took the Raiders to a line-out 15 metres into the other half. The pack started a drive then advanced recycling close 3 times before they were penalised just inside the 22 then marched 10 metres further back. The penalty was kicked to 9 metres into the other half then the line-out was stolen. It was immediately followed by a scrum for Worthing at which the opposition pack were penalised. The kick took the home team to 20 metres into the other half and not long after the line-out the visitors were penalised again 27 metres from their line. The next kick was for a line-out 8 metres out. After it they were turned over and Barnes cleared to touch still just inside their 22. The line-out resulted in a scrum for the visitors at their 22. From that they quickly went wide; after a couple of phases they were penalised for not releasing 10 metres into the other half. The kick brought Worthing back to just outside the opposition 22. From this line-out they didn't attempt a forward drive but released to centre and broke through. The ball was recycled to hooker Luke who burst through a tackle to go to the posts at 38 minutes. McLean added. After the restart Worthing put the ball into touch for the whistle.

The Raiders kicked the second half restart back; Barnes ran the ball and their forwards recycled twice before being penalised for being offside at a ruck on halfway. The kick took the home team to just outside the visitors 22. After the line-out the ball was kept in but a forward soon broke off; after recycling twice and advancing to 12 metres out the defence forced an error to get a scrum. The visitors won a turnover after they kicked ahead and Worthing had recycled once. Just after Barnes got a penalty then their kick didn't find touch. The opposition ran the ball to get a penalty on halfway after the next breakdown. The kick took them to 15 metres out and from their line-out they advanced recycling close 4 times to get another penalty, now 9 metres out, and a man advantage for 10 minutes. Worthing chose to have a scrum and advanced a bit, keeping the ball in and the Ref. soon went to the posts to signal a penalty try at 8 minutes. This made the lead 19 points and would be the home team's last score of the game.

Worthing kicked back the long restart; Barnes then kicked to touch just inside their opponents' 22. Worthing's pack kept the ball in from the line-out but an error gave the visitors a scrum at the 22. They got a free-kick at that, which they ran to get a penalty 12 metres out. This was put into touch for a line-out 7 metres out; the forwards kept the ball in then their drive attempt went down. They recycled close 3 times then the fly-half chipped through the line and this resulted in another penalty 5 metres out. After keeping the ball in they went wide, bringing the blind-side wing in at centre, then recycled close 3 times before going wide again and wing Carlisle sent centre Holmes to the corner at 14 minutes. The conversion missed.

Three kicks followed the restart, the last out on the full giving Worthing a line-out 5 metres into the other half. Their pack advanced well keeping the ball in. When they released they recovered from an error then launched an up-and-under. After they dealt with it the visitors were turned over then penalised at their 22. Worthing kicked for a line-out 5 metres out then their pack drove to the line but loosely. The ball carrier was penalised for a double movement. The kick took Barnes to their line-out just outside their 22 and they threw this not straight giving the opposition a scrum. After keeping the ball in and advancing they went blind and got close to the corner. They recycled 3 metres out then kicked over; the Ref. went back for a penalty 5 metres out. They kicked for a line-out from which they kept the ball in then broke blind but were forced into touch. At the next line-out, they got a free-kick for the opposition closing the gap. They chose another scrum. The visitors surprisingly stole this against the head, recycled twice then cleared to touch to 27 metres out. They got a free-kick at the line-out and ran it to get a penalty at their 10 metre line. This was put into touch for a line-out 27 metres from Worthing's line. From this their pack advanced before releasing to centre at the 22 then recycled 4 times, mostly close before the ball was released to their fly-half who was tackled when both his feet were off the ground. The penalty took the visitors to another line-out 12 metres out. The drive attempt soon went down and they broke blind to get another penalty with no advance but a man advantage for 10 minutes. The next line-out was 7 metres out; again a drive went down. The ball was released to centre then recycled 6 times, mostly close but being forced back to another penalty 13 metres out. This was put into touch for a line-out 6 metres out. Again the drive went down but they then varied their recycling through 7 phases to send wing Carlisle over at the corner not long before the half-hour. An exceptional conversion from fullback O'Toole followed.

Barnes attacked from the restart with 6 phases before being turned over. This was immediately followed by a Worthing put-in 24 metres from their line. The visitors came way with the ball and attacked again with 8 more phases before being turned over. Worthing kicked; Barnes ran the ball then an error gave the home ream another scrum put-in 8 metres inside their half.

They went wide from that but were soon turned over; Barnes went wide and advanced to the 22. There the ball was recycled and a half-break was made at centre. Going wide again they were intercepted; Worthing recycled 4 times before chipping over. The visitors fielded this and ran wide; O'Toole fed replacement hooker Alteirac then the ball was recycled once close then once wider to lock Steele who went clear to the posts at 32 minutes. O'Toole added.

The high restart resulted in a scrum for the visitors 17 metres inside their half. From it they soon kicked for territory; Worthing ran the ball to their scrum 4 metres into the opposition half. From that they put together 6 phases, mostly close, while being forced back to another put-in 4 metres inside their half. Again they put together phases, this time 19, mostly tight, to get a penalty 6 metres into the other half. This time they ran the ball and recycled twice to get another penalty 10 metres ahead, but this was just before the final whistle.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Old Albanian


Loading comments


# Team Pl Pts
10. Worthing 30 69
11. Chinnor 29 68
12. Barnes 30 66
13. Clifton 30 64
14. Dorking 30 55
15. Southend 30 46
16. Cornish All Blacks 25 10

Team sponsors


Club sponsors