Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barnes Rugby Football Club app


Barnes 1st XV - Match center

Sat 6 Jan 14:00 - London & SE Division - London & SE Premier Full time

A game spoiled by a Red card


Hertford, though, fought as though that didn't matter until tiring in the 2nd 1/2.

At Hertford in the autumn, Barnes' defence and one interception won them the game. This time the visitors started with only one forward of the 8 that started last time; Barnes of course had several 1st team players on the touchline still recovering from injuries. A red card early in the first half spoiled the challenge of Hertford. In the next 5 minutes Barnes scored two unconverted tries. Before 30 minutes were up Hertford had taken the lead that they kept until 40 minutes after losing their player. Just as 6 weeks previously the same occurrence had seemed to spur them to come from well behind and win. In the second half Barnes scored 5 tries as Hertford tired.

Hertford kicked-off then Barnes cleared to touch and stole the line-out. The visitors dealt with the first up-and-under then went wide to advance into the 22 to get a penalty 18 metres out in centre field at 90 seconds and fly-half Lloyd kicked the points.

Soon after the restart a mistake kicking to touch sent Hertford back just inside their 22 to defend an opposition line-out. The home team's pack set up a drive from that and advanced well to get a penalty 9 metres out. They kick took them to another line-out 5 metres out. Hertford defended the next drive strongly and when a forward broke off they forced him into touch close to the line. From their line-out they cleared to touch just outside the 22. From the fifth line-out Barnes did not attempt a drive then after 3 phases passed forward 18 metres out. Hertford kept the ball in their scrum and pushed their opponents back to get a penalty about 5 metres ahead. They kicked to touch 9 metres from halfway; they released to centre from the line-out then advanced before recycling once and kicking to touch at the other side 20 metres into the opposition half. Barnes set up a drive from the line-out to get a penalty just past halfway and kicked for another line-out 18 metres from the visitors' line. From that they did not drive; they recycled twice close then once wide and Hertford forced a turnover. Next the visitors had an attempted up-and-under from their scrumhalf charged down. They regained and recovered and tried another high kick. Barnes got the ball then a Hertford player dropped an opponent dangerously and the Referee had no option other than a Red card. This happened after 12 minutes and happened 14 metres inside the visitor's half. Obviously this ruined the contest.

The kick took Barnes to 20 metres from their opponents' line and from the line-out their pack comfortably drove to the line and over halfway out with hooker Garrett on the ball after 13 minutes. The conversion missed.

They secured the restart and ran wide advancing well before chipping ahead. Hertford had to clear to touch 19 metres inside their half. Again Barnes' forwards set up a drive but this time it was well defended. They recycled close 3 times, the second time blind making yards then scrumhalf Reeves broke blind having seen space ahead of him. He was half-tackled 5 metres out but got up to go over after 17 minutes. The conversion missed.

Barnes cleared to long restart to touch 17 metres from halfway. After the line-out Hertford kept the ball for 4 mixed phases, making ground twice, and at 5 metres out got a scrum. From it they recycled close 4 times before going wide and centre Streets on a diagonal run went through a gap in the defence to score halfway out after 23 minutes. Lloyd added to make the scores level.

This time Barnes' restart was lateral; Hertford cleared to touch, not far, still 16 metres inside their half. Barnes released to centre from the line-out then were turned over after two recycles. Hertford recycled 3 times before launching an up-and-under; Barnes got the ball and had it for 3 phases before they were turned over. The visitors ran wide and kicked ahead to the opposition 22. Barnes got the ball and ran it then were penalised at their 22 in centre field at 27 minutes. Lloyd kicked for the lead.

Hertford cleared the restart to touch 11 metres from halfway. From the line-out Barnes kept the ball for 7 close phases, before going wide; after that a pass went into touch 9 metres out. Following the line-out and a couple of close recycles the visitors launched an up-and-under. Barnes got the ball and ran wide for 5 phases before being turned over deep in the opposition 22. Hertford made ground then kicked for territory; Barnes ran the ball back then another unnecessary error gave the visitors a scrum 14 metres inside their half. From that Hertford released to centre then recycled wide again and broke clear well into the other half. They recycled 3 times before being penalised 8 metres past halfway. Barnes ran this time and were immediately turned over; after recycling once an error gave the home team a scrum 2 metres inside their half. From that they broke blind and kicked to touch 19 metres from their opponents' line. They stole the line-out and recycled close 3 times before the defence forced an error to get a put-in 13 metres out. Following that and 2 close recycles, two counter-rucks resulted in another scrum for Hertford 7 metres out. From that they kicked to touch knowing the Ref. was to blow for halftime.

Six kicks soon followed Barnes second half kick-off before their scrum put-in after they had forced an error from Hertford. This was 5 metres into the visitors' half then they were pushed off their ball in the scrum. Hertford advanced not quite 9 metres with 5 mainly close phases to get a penalty in centre field and Lloyd tried for the points but missed. They ran the ball from the 22 drop-out then chipped to touch just inside the opposition 22. Barnes' pack kept the ball in from the line-out and started a good drive that took tem past halfway to get a penalty that they kicked to touch 27 metres out. Again they kept the ball in and made some ground; when the drive went down they recycled 8 times advancing to 5 metres out where they defence forced an error. They were penalised at the scrum and Hertford kicked for a line-out 28 metres out. This was stolen and Barnes recycled once close to advance then once more wider then to flanker Malaney who made ground before sending lock Collins over wide out at 13 minutes. The conversion was wide.

The home team soon replied to the restart with an up-and-under. This resulted in their scrum 10 metres inside their half; they kicked for territory from that then forced a turnover. Following that they put together six mostly close phases advancing deep into the 22 where counter-rucking got the ball back for Hertford. Next they were forced back over their line and had to touch down giving Barnes a 5 metre put-in. From the scrum they released and wing Martey came in at centre field to go through the defence and touch down at the posts just before the end of the third quarter. Fly-half Wicks added.

Barnes soon responded to the restart with an up-and-under and regained from it. They recycled close twice then launched another. Hertford got that and tried something more adventurous with a switch of play then going wider within four phases. Next the ball was dropped and Barnes hacked it on and got it. They then put together four phases before passing into touch 18 metres out. After the line-out Hertford used an up-and-under; Barnes got the ball but soon dropped it giving the opposition another scrum 2 metres into Barnes' half. Their pack kept the ball in and advanced 5 metres to get a penalty and chose to have another scrum. This time they did not advance and they let the ball out and advanced to the 22 with 2 recycles; after 2 more they were awarded a penalty 26 metres out in centre field at 28 minutes. Lloyd was asked to kick the points to reduce the deficit for a possible losing bonus point, which he did.

Hertford secured the restart and broke through to the other half; after a couple of quick succession errors Barnes were penalised 16 metres inside their half. Hertford chose to have a scrum and at first kept the ball in then went wide advancing to the 22 then recycled twice close then went wide, passing into touch 18 metres into touch 18 metres inside the opposition half. Barnes' forwards kept the ball in a maul from their line-out but didn't get going then they launched an up-and-under. Hertford got the ball and recycled 5 times mostly trying wider before being turned over. Barnes then made three advances within five phases to send fullback Foster over wide out at 33 minutes. The conversion missed.

Hertford regained their shorter restart and varied 4 recycles before losing the ball; Barnes got it and recycled mostly close 5 times to get a penalty 20 metres past halfway. The kicked for a line-out 17 metres out then kept the ball for 5 more phases, mostly close, to get another penalty 16 metres out. The next line-out was 6 metres out and the next penalty a metre ahead. The third line-out drive was held then Barnes recycled close 3 times, the last one blind to put Garrett over wide out. A difficult conversion from Wicks was successful.

Fairly bright, cool, some wind; the pitch damp but good.

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other London & SE Premier results

Sutton & Epsom


Loading comments


# Team Pl Pts
1. Barnes 26 111
2. Guernsey 26 110
3. Tring 26 105
4. Hertford 26 105
5. Tunbridge Wells 26 77
6. Westcliff 26 75
7. Shelford 26 59

Team sponsors


Club sponsors